- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Anti-hyperlipidemic effect of Agaricus brasiliensis fruiting bodies in rats fed with high cholesterol diet
고콜레스테롤 식이의 급여에 의해 고지혈증이 유도된 흰쥐의 신령버섯 자실체의 항고지혈증 효과
- Received : 2018.05.18
- Accepted : 2018.07.02
- Published : 2018.06.30
In this study, we aimed to investigate the effects of dietary supplementation with fruiting body of Agaricus brasiliensis (AB) mushroom on the lipid profiles of serum and histological patterns of liver of high cholesterol-fed rats. Five-week-old, female Sprague-Dawley albino rats were divided into three groups of 8 rats each, including a normal control-diet (NC) group, a high-cholesterol diet (HC) group, and a group fed high-cholesterol diet supplemented with 5 % powder of Agaricus brasiliensis fruiting bodies (HC+AB). Total serum cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL), and triglyceride (TG) concentrations in the HC+AB group were significantly reduced when compared with those in the HC group. Body weight in the HC+AB group was significantly lower than that in the HC group, whereas no adverse effects were observed on the levels of plasma albumin, creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, uric acid, glucose, and total protein. In the HC+AB group, liver enzyme activities related to liver function, such as GOT and GPT, presented values lower than those in the HC group and were very similar to the ones in the NC group. Excretion of total lipid and cholesterol in feces in the HC+AB group was significantly higher than that in the NC and HC groups, indicating that mushroom feeding inhibits the absorption of lipid cholesterol in the intestine. Liver histopathological analyses revealed that rats fed with HC diet developed fat liver disease, whereas only small amounts of fat were deposited in the livers of the HC+AB group. In conclusion, the results suggest that fruiting body powder of A. brasiliensis provides health benefits to high-cholesterol-fed rats by lowering body weight and the risk of atherogenic lipid profile.
Agaricus brasiliensis;Cholesterol;Hypolipidemia;Lipid profile;Liver histopathology
- Alam N, Yoon KN, Lee TS, Lee UY. 2011. Hypolipidemic activities of dietary Pleurotus ostreatus in hypercholesterolemic rats. Mycobiol. 39:45-51. https://doi.org/10.4489/MYCO.2011.39.1.045
- Bobek P, Ginter E, Kuniak L, Babala J, Jurcovicova M, Ozdin L, Cerven J. 1991. Effect of mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus and isolated fungal polysaccharide on serum and liver lipids in Syrian hamsters with hyperlipoproteinemia. Nutr. 7:105-109.
- Cheung PCK. 1996. The hypercholesterolemic effect of two edible mushrooms: Auricularia auricula (tree-ear) and Tremella fuciformis (white jelly-leaf) in hypercholesterolemic rats. Nutr Res. 16:1721-1725. https://doi.org/10.1016/0271-5317(96)00191-1
- Choi WY, Park C, Lee JY, Kim GY, Park YM, Jeong YK, Lee WH, Choi YH. 2004. Anti-proliferative effects of water extract of Agaricus blazei Murrill in human lung cancer cell line A549. J Kor Soc Food Sci Nutr. 33:1237-1245. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.8.1237
- Folch J, Lees M, Sloane Stanley GH. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem. 226:497-509.
- Haglund O, Loustarinen R, Wallin R, Wibell I, Saldeen T. 1991. The effect of oil on triglycerides, cholesterol, fibrinogen and malondialdehyde in humans supplemented with vitamin E. J Nutr. 121:165-172. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.2.165
- Jang SJ, Park YJ. 1995. Effects of dietary fiber sources and levels on lipid metabolism in rats fed high lard diet. Korean J Nutr. 28:107-114.
- Kim GY, Jung HW, Kim EJ. 2013. Anti-hyperlipidemic effect of shiitake mushroom extract in hyperlipidemic rats induced by Poloxamer-407. Korean J Orient Pathol. 27:409-415.
- Kim JH, Son IS, Kim JS, Kim KH, Kwon CS. 2008. Lipaseinhibitory and anti-oxidative activity of the methanol extract and the powder of Phellinus linteus. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 37:154-161. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.2.154
- Kobayashi H, Matsushita M, Oda K, Nishikimi N, Sakuri T, Komori K. 2004. Effect of atherosclerotic plaque on the enlargement of an experimental model of abdominal aortic aneurysm in rabbits. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 28:71-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejvs.2004.03.015
- Koh JB, Choi MA. 2001. The effects of Cordiceps millitaris on lipid metabolism in rats fed cholesterol diet. Korean J Nutr. 34:265-270.
- Lee MR, Oh DS, Wee AJ, Yun BS, Jang SA, Sung CK. 2014. Antiobesity effects of Lentinus edodes on obese mice induced by high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 43:194-199. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.2.194
- Ma X, Li Z. 2006. Pathogenesis of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). Chin J Dig Dis. 7:7-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1443-9573.2006.00237.x
- Mizuno T. 2002. Medicinal properties and clinical effects of culinary medicinal mushroom Agaricus blazei Murrill (Agaricomycetidae). Int J Med Mushrooms. 4:299-312.
- Molitoris HP. 1994. Mushrooms in medicine. Folia Microbiol. 9:91-98.
- Moon SJ. 1996. Nutrition problems of Korean. Korean J Nutr. 29:371-380.
- Park SY, Bae IY, Lee S, Lee HG. 2009. Physicochemical and hypocholesterolemic characterization of oxidized oat beta glucan. J Agric Food Chem. 57:439-443. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf802811b
- Qu L, Xin H, Zheng G, Su Y, Ling C. 2012. Hepatoprotective activity of the toatal saponin from Actinidia valvata Dunn root against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 216061.
- Reeves PG, Nielsen FH, Fahey GC Jr. 1993. AIN-93-purified diets for laboratory rodents : final report of the American institute of Nutrition ad hoc writing committee on the reformulation of the AIN-10A rodent diet. J Nutr. 123:1939-1951. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/123.11.1939
- Ross R. 1993. The pathogenesis of atherosclerosis: a perspective for the 1990s. Nature. 362:801-809. https://doi.org/10.1038/362801a0
- Seo BI. 2003. A study on Agaricus blazei. J Appl Oriental Medicine. 3:83-389.
- Spady DK, Woollett LA, Dietschy JM. 1993. Regulation of plasma LDL-cholesterol levels by dietary cholesterol and fatty acids. Annu Rev Nutr. 13:355-381. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.13.070193.002035
- Wasser SP. 2002. Medicinal mushrooms as a source of antitumor and immunomodulating polysaccharides. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 60:258-274. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-002-1076-7
- Yao F, MacKenzie RG. 2010. Obesity drug update: The lost decade? Pharmaceut. 3:3494-3521. https://doi.org/10.3390/ph3123494
- Yoon KN, Alam N, Shim MJ, Lee TS. 2011. Hypolipidemic and antiatherogenesis effect of culinary-medicinal pink oyster mushroom, Pleurotus salmoneostramineus L. Vass. (Higher Basidiomycetes), in hypercholesterolemic rats. Int J Med Mushrooms. 14:27-36.
- Zou Y, Li J, Lu C, Wang J, Ge J, Huang Y, Zhang L, Wang Y. 2006. High-fat emulsion induced rat model of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Life Sci. 79:1100-1107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2006.03.021