- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Convergence research on the possibility of development of oral care products using the anti-plaque activity of natural essential oils against Streptococcus mutans
천연에센셜오일의 Streptococcus mutans에 의한 치석형성 억제 활성을 이용한 구강관리제품 개발 가능성에 대한 융합연구
- Kim, Minhyung (Daejeon Goejeong High School) ;
- Lee, So-Young (Daejeon Goejeong High School) ;
- Min, Hee-Hong (Department of Dental Hygiene, Daejeon Health Institute Technology)
- Received : 2018.06.08
- Accepted : 2018.07.20
- Published : 2018.07.28
This article intended to examine the anti-plaque activity of 4 essential oils of Lavender, Tea tree, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass against Streptococcus mutans. In the results of measuring the anti-plaque effect against Streptococcus mutans, Minimum anti-adhesive concentration of Lavender oil was 1.0% and that of Tea tree, Eucalyptus, lemongrass essential oils was 0.5 %. Also, it was confirmed that the essential oils have the effect of inhibiting acid generation by Streptococcus mutans. It was confirmed that pH of the concentration was lowered by the acid generation under the MAC by measuring pH of the solution after incubating Streptococcus mutans and the essential oils in the thermostatic bath varying their concentration. From these results, the essential oils, particularly, Tea tree, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass essential oils are the natural material inhibiting the plaque generation and the potential that they can be used to develop the oral care products was confirmed.
Anti-plaque activity;Streptococcus mutans;Natural essential oils;Antibacterial activity;pH;MAC
- Hamada S., Ooshima T., Torii M., Imanishi, H., Masuda N., Misuno J., Sobue S., and Kotai S. (1978). Dental caries induction in experimental animals by clinical strains of Streptococcus mutans isolated from Japanese children, Microbiol. Immunol., 22, 301-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1348-0421.1978.tb00375.x
- Hamada S., Ooshima T., Masuda N., Misuno J. and Sobue S. (1976). Inhibition of rat dental caries by dextranase from a strain of Spicaria violacea. Jpn. J. Microbiol., 20, 321-330. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1348-0421.1976.tb00994.x
- Koga T. and Hamada S. (1982). Adhesion of oral bacteria and plaque, dental caries. progress of research. Nihon Shika Hyoron Publishers, Tokyo, Japan.
- Gibbons R. J. and Van Houte J. (1973). The formation of dental plaques. J. Periodontol. 44(6), 347-360. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.1997
- McGhee J. R. and Michalek S. M. (1981). Immunology of dental caries: microbial aspects and local immunity. Ann. Rev. Microbial., 135, 595-638.
- Hamada S., Slade H. D. (1980). Biology, immunology, and cariogenicity of Streptococcus mutans. Microbial Rev. 35, 331-384.
- Prabu G. R, Gnanamani A. and Sadulla S. (2006). Guaijaverin a plant flavonoid as potential antiplaque agent against Streptococcus mutans. J Appl Microbiol, 101, 487-195. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2006.02912.x
- E. S. Lee, S. M. Kang, E. U. Kim, H. K. Kwon, B. I. Kim (2011). Inhibitory effects of several commercial oral rinses on Streptococcus mutans biofilm formation. J. Korean Acad. Oral. Health. 35(3), 289-296.
- W. J. Park, H. J. Lee and S. G. Yang (1990). The inhibitory Effect of Sanggenon C from the Root-bark of Morus alba L. on the Growth and the Cellular Adherence of Streptococcus mutans. Yakhak Hoeji, 34(6), 434-438.
- J. Y. Paek, Y. H. Kim, H. J. Kwon, E. N. Kim, W. J. Kim, and M. D. Han (2008). Effects of Antibacteria and Adhesive Inhibition of Scutellaria baicalensis Extract on Streptococcus mutans. J. Dent. Hyg. Sci. 8(4), 367-373.
- Y. R. Choi, S. S. Bae, and M. K. Kang (2016). Antibacterial Effect of Tea Tree Ingredient for Denture Cleaners. J. Dent. Hyg. Sci. 16(6), 409-414. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.409
- Cohen S. H., Morita M. M., Bradford M. (1991). A-seven year experience with methicillin- resistant Streptococcus aureus. Am. J. Med., 91, 233S-237S. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(91)90374-7
- Otake S., Makimura M., Kuroki T., Nishibara Y., Hirasawa M. (1991). Anticaries effects of polyphenolic compounds from Japanese green tea. Caries Res., 25, 438-443. https://doi.org/10.1159/000261407
- S. S. Kim, J. H. Won, G. E. Lee, R. R. Lee, S. M. Lee, J. H. Lee, K. H. kang. (2017). Anti-bacteria effect of green tea, mulberry and mate leaves extracts on S. mutnas. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(1), 347-353. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.347
- S. Y. Lee. (2016). Convergence study on anti-caries effect of chlorhexidine and essential oils. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(10), 25, 367-373.
- Hamada S. and Slade, H. D. (1976). Adherence of serotype e Streptococcus mutans and the inhibitory effect of Lancefield group E and S. mutans type e antiserum. J. Dent. Res. 55, 65-74.
- Mukase, H. and Slade, H. D. (1974). Machanism of adherence Streptococcus mutans to smooth surfaces. II Nature of the binding site and the adsorption of dextran-levan synthetase enzymes on the cell-wall surface of the streptococcus. Inject. Immum., 9, 419-429.
- S. Y. Yoon, S. H. Kim, H. L. Chung, J. J. Lee, C. S. Huh and Y. J. Baek (2000). Anticariogenic Effects of Unripe Apple Extract. KOREAN J. FOOD SCI. TECHNOL. 32(1), 168-173.
- M. G. Ji. (2017). Relationships among Self-Efficacy and Self-Resilience, Oral Health Promotion Lifestyle in Some High School Students. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(6), 347-353.
- Y. J. Doe, M. G. Ji, M. H. Yun. (2018). Association between cognition of periodontal disease periodontal patients ,life-stress and oral health related quality of life Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 8(3), 53-62. https://doi.org/10.14801/JAITC.2018.8.1.53