- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The effect of Problem-Based Learning and Simulation Practice Convergence Education for Nursing Students
간호대학생의 문제중심학습과 시뮬레이션 실습 융합교육의 효과
- Kim, Hyun Jung (Department of Nursing, Daewon University College) ;
- Chun, In Hee (Department of Nursing, Suwon Science College)
- Received : 2018.05.15
- Accepted : 2018.07.20
- Published : 2018.07.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of simulation practice combining problem-based learning on nursing knowledge, self-confidence, critical thinking tendency and problem solving ability. The subjects of this study were 45 students who took two courses of nursing situation practice in the fourth grade of S university in S area. Data were collected before and after the simulation exercise using the self-report questionnaire. The problem-based learning and the simulation practice convergence training were conducted for three weeks with two hours per week, and the post- integration nursing knowledge, self-confidence, critical thinking disposition, and problem solving ability scores were improved. Nursing knowledge, self-confidence, and critical thinking tendency were positively correlated with problem solving ability and proved the effectiveness of problem-based learning and simulation training. Therefore, education programs combining problem-based learning and simulation training on various topics should be developed and utilized.
Convergence;Problem-based learning;Simulation practice;Problem solving ability;Nursing student
- W. S. Lee, K. C. Cho, S. H Yang, Y. S. Roh & G. Y. Lee. (2009). Effects of Problem-Based Learning Combined with Simulation on the Basic Nursing Competency of Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, 16(1), 64-72.
- Y. S. Byeon, et al. (2009). Clinical Nursing Competency for New Graduate Nurses: A Grounded Theory Approach. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, 10(1), 47-56.
- Korea Accreditation Board of Nursing Education (2017). Core Competency of Nursing. Retrieved from http://kabon.or.kr
- Y. A. Song. (2014). Effect of Simulation-based Practice by applying Problem based Learning on Problem Solving Process, Self-confidence in Clinical Performance and Nursing Competence. Korean Society Journal of Woman Health Nursing, 20(4), 246-254. DOI : 10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.4.246 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2014.20.4.246
- Y. J. Son. & Y. A. Song (2012). Effects of Simulation and Problem-Based Learning Courses on Student Critical Thinking, Problem Solving Abilities and Learning. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 18(1), 43-52. DOI : 10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.043 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.043
- A. Lathrop, B. Winningham & L. VandeVusse. (2007). Simulation-based learning for midwives : background and pilot implementation. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 52(5), 492-498. DOI : 10.1016/j.jmwh.2007.03.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2007.03.018
- J. J. Yang. (2008). Development and Evaluation of a Simulation-based Education Course for Nursing Students. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20(4), 548-560.
- S. A. Bruce, Y. K. Scherer, C. C. Curran, D. M. Urschel, S. Erdley & L. S. Ball. (2009). A collaborative exercise between graduate and undergraduate nursing students using a computer-assisted simulator in a mock cardiac arrest. Nursing Education Perspectives, 30(1), 22-27.
- P. M. Maxson, et al. (2011). Enhancing nurse and physician collaboration in clinical decision making through high-fidelity interdisciplinary simulation training. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 86(1), 31-37. DOI : 10.4065/mcp.2010.0282 https://doi.org/10.4065/mcp.2010.0282
- J. Y. Kim & E. Y. Choi. (2008). Learning Element Recognition and Academic Achievement of Nursing Student Receiving PBL with Simulation Education. The Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20(5), 731-742.
- S. H. Yang, O. C. Lee, W. S. Lee, J. Yoon, C. S. Park & S. J. Lee. (2009). Critical Disposition and Clinical Competency in 3 Nursing Colleges with Different Education Methods. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15(2), 149-158. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.149
- M. R. Yoo, Y. J. Choi & M. S. Kang. (2009). The Effects of PBL (Problem-Based Learning) on the Self-Directed Learning, Critical Thinking Disposition, and Problem Solving Process of Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, 16(1), 46-55.
- S. J. Park. (2014). Effects of problem-based learning on the learning attitudes, critical thinking disposition and problem solving skills of nursing students: infant care. Doctoral dissertation, Chonnam national University, Chonnam.
- Y. A. Song. (2008). Comparison of Learning Satisfaction, Critical Thinking Disposition, Learning Attitude and Motivation between PBL and SBL Groups. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 14(1), 55-62. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2008.14.1.055
- M. S. Lee & S. W. Hahn. (2011). Effect of Simulation-based Practice on Clinical Performance and Problem Solving Process for Nursing Stud The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17(2), 226-234. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.226
- W. S. Lee & M. O. Kim. (2011). Effects and Adequacy of High-Fidelity Simulation-Based Training for Obstetrical Nursing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(4), 433-443. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.433
- J. M. Kim & Y. S. Choi. (2015). Effect of practice education using the simulator, critical thinking, problem solving ability and nursing process confidence of nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 13(4), 263-270. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.263
- M. Y. Moon. (2017). Effects of Convergence-based Integrated simulation Practice program on the Clinical decision making, Problem solving process, Clinical competence and Confidence of core fundamental nursing skill performance for Nursing Students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 15(7), 271-284. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.7.271
- Y. M. Park. (2017). The Effects of Simulation-Based Practice on Competence and Satisfaction in Nursing Students. Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, 7(6), 1-7.
- K. J. Im, B. S. Yang & Y. L Kim. (2018). Development and effects of simulation educational program for nursing students. Journal of Digital Convergence, 16(2), 203-213. DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2018.16.2.203 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2018.16.2.203
- J. S. Kim & Y. H. Kim. (2016). The Effects of Simulation Practice Education Applying Problem-based Learning on Problem Solving Ability, Critical Thinking and Learning Satisfaction of Nursing Students. Journal of the korea contents association, 16(12), 203-212. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2016.12.203 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.12.203
- S. H. Kim & I. S. Park. (2015). Effects of Simulation Practice by applying Problem based learning on the Critical Thinking Disposition, Problem-Solving Process and Self-confidence of Nursing Process in Nursing Students. Journal of Korea Society for Simulation in nursing, 3(2), 1-11.
- M. J. Lee, Y. M. Ahn, I. S. Cho & M. Sohn. (2014). Effectiveness of simulation integrated with problem based learning on clinical competency and self-efficacy in nursing students. Journal of Child Heath Nursing research, 20(2), 123-131. DOI : 10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.123 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.123
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner & A. G. Lang. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods, 41(4), 1149-1160. DOI : 10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Y. K. Ha. (2014). The effects of debriefing utilizing the clinical judgment rubric on nursing students' clinical judgment, knowledge and self-confidence. Doctoral dissertation, Seoul national University, Seoul.
- J. Yoon. (2004). Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition : in nursing. Doctoral dissertation, Catholic University. Seoul.
- J. S. Lee. (1978). The effects process behaviors on problem solving performance on various test. Doctoral dissertation, Chicago University, Chicago.
- O. H. Woo. (2000). The effects of a PBL(problem-based learning) on the problem solving precess of students by their meta-cognitive levels. Master's thesis, Korea National University, Chungbuk.
- S. Y. Kang, Y. M. Kim & Y. H. Kim. (2010). Implementation and evalustion of simulation based critical care nursing education used with MicroSim(R). The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(1), 24-32. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.024
- J. M. Arafeh, S. S. Hansen & A. Nichols. (2010). Debriefing in simulated-based learning: facilitating a reflective discussion. Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing, 24(4), 302-309. DOI : 10.1097/JPN.0b013e3181f6b5ec https://doi.org/10.1097/JPN.0b013e3181f6b5ec
- E. H. Hwang & K. H. Kim. (2016). Differences in Critical Thinking Disposition and Life-Skills of Nursing Students - Comparison of High School Tracks - . Journal of the Korean Society for Wellness, 11(1), 59-68. DOI : 10.21097/ksw.2016.02.11.1.59 https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2016.02.11.1.59