- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Systematic Review of Bee Venom Acupuncture for Ankle Sprain
족관절 염좌의 봉독 약침 치료에 대한 체계적 문헌 고찰
- Gu, Ji-Hyang (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Li, Yu-Chen (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Jo, Dong-Chan (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Eun-Jung (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University)
- 구지향 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 이옥진 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 조동찬 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 이은정 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2018.06.15
- Accepted : 2018.07.04
- Published : 2018.07.31
Objectives To evaluate the evidence supporting the effectiveness of bee venom acupuncture for ankle sprain. Methods We conducted search across 11 electronic databases (Pubmed, EMBASE, Cochrane CENTRAL [CENTRAL], KoreaMed, Kmbase, Koreanstudies Information Service System [KISS], National Digital Science Library [NDSL], Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information [KISTI], China National Knowledge Infrastructure [CNKI], Wanfang and Chinese Scientific Journals Database [VIP] database) to find clinical trials that used bee venom acupuncture as treatment for ankle sprain. The methodological quality of randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) were assessed using the Cochrane Risk of Bias (RoB) tool, while non-randomized controlled clinical trials (NRCTs) were assessed using the Cochrane Risk of Bias Assessment tool for Non-randomized Study (RoBANS) tool. Results Four RCTs and one nRCT met our inclusion criteria. Almost studies showed that bee venom acupuncture has positive effect on ankle sprain. 4 studies of same intervention and control included in the meta-analysis. When comparing bee venom acupuncture and acupuncture with acupuncture, the effect size of standardized mean difference (SMD) was -0.19 (95% confidence interval [CI]: -1.95~1.56, Z=0.55, p=0.83). And when comparing bee venom acupuncture with acupuncture, the effect size of SMD was -0.17 (95% CI: -0.65~0.31, Z=0.71, p=0.48). Conclusions Although our systematic review found encouraging but limited evidence of bee venom acupuncture for ankle sprain, most of the studies included in the analysis were evaluated as methodologically high risk of bias. From now on further well-designed RCTs should be encouraged.
Ankle sprains;Bee venom;Review;Meta-analysis
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. 7th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin medical Publishing Co. 2013:1072, 1088-90.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 3rd ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2011:210-1, 237-8.
- Jeong DU, Yeo KC, Yoon IA, Moon SI. A clinical study on effectiveness of acupuncture treatment of acute ankle sprain combined with positional release therapy. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. 2009;4(1):19-30.
- Dubin JC, Comeau D, McClelland RI, Dubin RA, Ferrel E. Lateral and syndesmotic ankle sprain injuries: a narrative literature review. J Chiropr Med. 2011;10(3):204-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2011.02.001
- Kern-Steiner R, Washecheck HS, Kelsey DD. Strategy of exercise prescription using an unloading technique for functional rehabilitation of an athlete with an inversion ankle sprain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1999;29(5):282-7. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.19184.108.40.2062
- Korean Acupuncture Society Textbook Compilation Committee. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. Seoul:Jibmundang Publishing. 2012:328, 568-73.
- Yu TS, Park DS, Kang SK. Clinical observations on treatment of ankle-sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2004;21(1):168-75.
- Lee CH, Kim BNR, Jung H, Lee KW, Yang DM, Oh MS. Review on the study of ankle sprain published in Korea. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2015;25(1):71-6. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.1.071
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncturology. 2nd ed. Seoul:Elsevier Korea. 2011:181-215.
- Kim SY, Park JE, Seo HJ, Lee YJ, Jang BH, Son HJ, Suh HS, Shin CM. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analysis for intervention. 1st ed. Seoul:National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. 2011:24-5, 64-75.
- Kim KT, An BJ, Kang MS, Song HS. A clinical study of bee venom acupuncture therapy on chronic arthritis of ankle. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2006;23(4):21-6.
- Park MJ, Sung IH, Kim NO, Ahn CK, Seo JW. A clinical study of bee venom acupuncture therapy on the treatment of acute ankle sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2006;23(1):95-103.
- Lee H. The comparative study on the bee-venom therapy and common acupuncture therapy for the acute ankle sprain. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2004;21(4): 133-43.
- Kang I, Moon JY, Lim MJ, Cho JH, Lee HE. The comparison study between different interventions for treating acute ankle sprain - using dry needle, bee venom acupuncture, Hwangryunhaedoktang herbal acupuncture -. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2008;25(5):89-95.
- Song HS. The effect of bee venom acupuncture(BVA) on acute ankle sprain: a randomized controlled trial and double blinding - pilot study. Journal of Korean Institute of Herbal-Acupuncture. 2005;8(2):11-6.
- Shim SY, Park HJ, Lee JM, Lee HS. An overview of pain measurements. The Korean Journal of Meridian and Acupoint. 2007;24(2):77-97.
- Han DY. Biomechanics of sports injuries. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine. 1989;7(2):205-8. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-198907030-00005
- Garrick JG. Managing ankle sprains: keys to preserving motion and strength. Phys Sportsmed.. 1997;25(3):56-68. https://doi.org/10.3810/psm.1997.03.1201
- Ahn HJ, Jeong DH, Hwang KS, Yoon KB, Kim TW, Moon JH, Baek JY, Lee SM. The comparative study on the Dong-si acupuncture therapy and general acupuncture therapy for the patient with ankle sprain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(1):120-30.
- Lee JS, Kwon GR, Choi HY. A study on major components of bee venom using HPLC. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2000;17(4):120-9.
- Lee SM, Keum DH. The paper review on the ankle sprain with oriental medical treatments published in Korea after 1990. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2005;15(3):89-98.
- Lee YJ. Review of domestic studies on Korean Medicine treatment in ankle sprain [dissertation]. Iksan (KR): Wonkwang University College of Korean Medicine. 2014:1-49.