- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Clinical Effect of Rehabilitation Protocol for Distal Radius Fracture in Korean Medicine: A Report of 3 Cases
원위 요골 골절에 대한 한방 재활치료 프로토콜 적용의 임상적 효과: 증례 보고
- Ha, Won-Bae (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Geum, Ji-Hye (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Koh, Nak-Yong (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Han (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University)
- 하원배 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 금지혜 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 고낙용 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 이정한 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2018.06.15
- Accepted : 2018.07.02
- Published : 2018.07.31
The objective of this study was to propose a rehabilitation protocol for distal radius fracture in Korean Medicine and to report its effectiveness. Three patients who had undergone distal radius fracture were treated using the rehabilitation protocol in Korean Medicine. We estimated the outcome evaluating physical examination findings of the wrist joint, numeric rating scale and quick the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) score. After the treatment, we observed that wrist movement, numeric rating scale and quick DASH score were improved. A rehabilitation in Korean Medicine can be effectively used for distal radius fracture patients. The limitation of this study was the insufficient number of cases. Further studies are needed to design a rehabilitation protocol in Korean Medicine.
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. 7th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin medical Publishing Co. 2013:1289-99.
- Lee DY, Hwang SC, Nam DC, Jeong JH, Choi YL, Park JS. Risk factors of wrist stiffness after treatment for distal radius fractures. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2015;50(4):299-306. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2015.50.4.299
- Brotzman SB, Manske RC. Clinical orthopaedic rehabilitation: an evidence-based approach. 3rd ed. Philadelphia:Mosby Elsevier. 2011:25-9.
- Shin YH, Yoon JO, Kim JK. Nonsurgical treatment of a distal radius fracture: when & how?. J Korean Fract Soc. 2018;31(2):71-8. https://doi.org/10.12671/jkfs.2018.31.2.71
- Ikpeze TC, Smith HC, Lee DJ, Elfar JC. Distal radius fracture outcomes and rehabilitation. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2016;7(4):202-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/2151458516669202
- Michlovitz SL, LaStayo PC, Alzner S, Watson E. Distal radius fractures: therapy practice patterns. J Hand Ther. 2001;14(4):249-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-1130(01)80002-8
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:3, 350-71, 380-416.
- Handoll HH, Elliott J. Rehabilitation for distal radial fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(9):CD003324. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003324.pub3. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003324.pub3
- Mosca JC, Cahill JB, Cavanaugh JT, Corradi-Scalise D, Rudnick H, Wolf AL. Postsurgical rehabilitation guidelines for the orthopedic clinician. 1st ed. St. Louis:Mosby Elsevier. 2006:109-16.
- Cho JH, Park DY, Kim JY, Han KJ. A comparison of sugar tong splint and radial gutter short arm splint after closed reduction of distal radius fracture. J Korean Soc Surg Hand. 2009;14(4):194-8.
- Song SW. Osteoporotic distal radius fracture-conservative treatment. J Korean Fract Soc. 2008;21(1):81-6. https://doi.org/10.12671/jkfs.2008.21.1.81
- Brehmer JL, Husband JB. Accelerated rehabilitation compared with a standard protocol after distal radial fractures treated with volar open reduction and internal fixation: a prospective, randomized, controlled study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014;96(19):1621-30. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.00860
- Waterbury K, Husband J, Callinan N, Reams M. Beyond the research: an accelerated rehabilitation protocol for patients with distal radius fracture treated with open reduction internal fixation using volar locking plate, a retrospective review and comparison of outcomes with a surgeon directed independent exercise program. J Hand Ther. 2016;29(3):372-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2014.08.023
- Han TR, Bang MS, Chung SG. Rehabilitation Medicine. 5th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2014:1201-3.
- Sun P. Management of postoperative pain with acupuncture. 1st ed. Philadelphia:Churchill Livingstone. 2007:13-4, 204-8.
- Kim TR, Kim YJ, Woo CH. Fire needling therapy in patients with a vertebral compression fracture: a report of three cases. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2017:27(4):147-54. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2017.27.4.147
- Ha WB, Lee JH, Ko YS, Lee JH. A rehabilitation for total hip replacement in Korean medicine: a report of three cases. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2016;26(3):153-64. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2016.26.3.153
- Bak JW, Sim BY, Kim DH. The effects of Danggwisusan on restoration ability in wound induced animal models. Kor J Herbology. 2014;29(5):55-63. https://doi.org/10.6116/KJH.2014.29.5.55
- Jung H, Lee HJ, Kim B, Lee CH, Lee EJ, Heo DS, Oh MS. The effects of Sibjeondaebotanggamibang on the treating of wound. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2014;24(3):51-69.
- Lee HG, Oh MS. Effects of Jeopgolsan (JGS) extract on fracture healing. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2018;28(1):1-17.
- Wollstein R, Michael D, Harel H. A protocol for evaluation and rehabilitation of distal radius fractures using sensorimotor input: a case series. J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2017;22(2):150-5. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218810417500174
- Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. Chuna manual medicine. 2.5th ed. Seoul:Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. 2017:17, 99-101, 224-9, 274-5.
- Chaitow L. Muscle energy techniques. 3rd ed. Philadelphia:Churchill Livingstone. 2006:191-3.
- DeStefano LA. Greenman's principles of manual medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia:Wolters Kluwer. 2017:436-7.
- Kang JW, Park JW. Complications of distal radius fracture. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2013;48(2):165-74. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2013.48.2.165
- Lucado AM, Li Z. Static progressive splinting to improve wrist stiffness after distal radius fracture: a prospective, case series study. Physiother Theory Pract. 2009;25(4):297-309. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593980902782389
- Magee DJ, Sueki D. Orthopedic physical assessment atlas and video: selected special tests and movements. 6th ed. Seoul:ELSEVIER Korea. 2014:463.
- Amorosa LA, Vitale MA, Brown S, Kaufman RA. A functional outcomes survey of elderly patients who sustained distal radius fractures. Hand (NY). 2011;6(3):260-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11552-011-9327-7
- Kim JG, Kang JW. The characteristics of QuickDASH for workers in the manufacturing industry. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy. 2013;21(1):107-18. https://doi.org/10.14519/jksot.2013.21.4.09
- Lee HJ, Han SH, Jo YG, Lee SH, Bong ST. Epidemiology and seasonal variance of incidence of distal radius fractures. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2015;50(4): 307-12. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2015.50.4.307
- Diaz-Garcia RJ, Oda T, Shauver MJ, Chung KC. A systematic review of outcomes and complications of treating unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly. J Hand Surg Am. 2011;36(5):824-35.e2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2011.02.005
- Shin JY, Kim DH, Ko DH, Kim HJ. Operative treatment for ulnar styloid process fractures with unstable intra-articular distal radius fractures. J Korean Soc Surg Hand. 2009;14(1):12-7.
- Valdes K. A retrospective pilot study comparing the number of therapy visits required to regain functional wrist and forearm range of motion following volar plating of a distal radius fracture. J Hand Ther. 2009;22(4):312-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2009.06.003
- Yun YG. Korean prescription and prescription commentary. 1st ed. Seoul:Uiseong dang. 2004:225, 679.
- Smith DW, Henry MH. Comprehensive management of soft-tissue injuries associated with distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2002;2(3):153-64. https://doi.org/10.1053/jssh.2002.34797
- Quadlbauer S, Pezzei C, Jurkowitsch J, Kolmayr B, Keuchel T, Simon D, Hausner T, Leixnering M. Early rehabilitation of distal radius fractures stabilized by volar locking plate: a prospective randomized pilot study. J Wrist Surg. 2017;6(2):102-12. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1587317
- Ahn JY, Han JS, Min KS. Experimental study for defining range of motion required for daily activities in wrist joint. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2000;35(5):797-802.