- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Three Adverse Events Reports of Simple Exanthematous Eruption after Sumsu (Bufonis Venenum) Pharmacopuncture Topical Treatment
섬수약침 국소시술 이후 발생한 단순 피부 발진: 3 이상사례 보고
- Received : 2018.06.11
- Accepted : 2018.07.11
- Published : 2018.07.31
Three cases of simple exanthematous eruption were suspected during Sumsu (Bufonis Venenum) pharmacopuncture (SP) topical anesthesia for acupotomy. Patients had skin rash with pruritus on both ankle, posterior neck, and left shoulder after 11, 12, and 7 times of SP treatment, respectively. There were no cases of systemic manifestations or changes in vital signs. As a result of using the World Health Organization-Uppsala Monitoring Centre (WHO-UMC) causality assessment, all the cases were evaluated as 'unlikely'. However, the results of using the Korean algorithm for assessing the causality of drug adverse reactions version 2.0 were evaluated as 'possible'. This report is the first case report on adverse events suspected of occurring after SP treatment. Although the causal relationship between suspected intervention and the adverse event is not clear, there was a difficulty in completely excluding the possibility. Additional safety studies will be required to make SP more widely available.
Bufonis Venenum;Pharmacopuncture;Injection site reaction;Drug eruptions
- Park J, Lee H, Shin BC, Lee MS, Kim B, Kim JI. Pharmacopuncture in Korea: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:4683121.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. A survey on the use of traditional Korean Medicine 2008. 1st ed. Sejong:Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2009.
- Kim MR, Shin JS, Lee J, Lee YJ, Ahn YJ, Park KB, Lee HD, Lee Y, Kim SG, Ha IH. Safety of acupuncture and pharmacopuncture in 80,523 musculoskeletal disorder patients: a retrospective review of internal safety inspection and electronic medical records. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95(18):e3635. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000003635
- Lee DJ, Kwon K, Seo HS. A case of epidermal cyst using surgical method after bufonis venenum pharmacopuncture anesthesia. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol 2017;30(2):165-9.
- Choi MJ, Kim KN, Lee JE, Suh JW, Kim SC, Kwon KR, Cho SH. Effects of Sumsu (Bufonis venenum) pharmacopuncture treatment on depression in mice. J Pharmacopuncture. 2014;17(2):27-33.
- Uppsala Monitoring Centre, World Health Organization. The use of the WHO-UMC system for standardised case causality assessment [Internet] 2018 Apr 6 [cited 2018 May 6]. Available from: URL: https://www.who-umc.org/media/164200/who-umc-causality-assessment_new-logo.pdf.
- Peuker E, Filler T. Guidelines for case reports of ad- verse events related to acupuncture. Acupunct Med. 2004;22(1):29-33. https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.22.1.29
- Wick JY. Drug-induced rash: nuisance or threat? Consult Pharm. 2013;28(3):160-6. https://doi.org/10.4140/TCP.n.2013.160
- Chan MWC, Wu XY, Wu JCY, Wong SYS, Chung VCH. Safety of acupuncture: overview of systematic reviews. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):3369. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-03272-0
- Korea Institute of Drug Safety and Risk Management. Adverse drug reactions assessment report. 1st ed. Vol. 1. Anyang:Korea Institute of Drug Safety and Risk Management. 2013:60-3.
- Korea Institute of Drug Safety and Risk Management. Terminology guide for reporting adverse drug reactions. 1st ed. Anyang:Korea Institute of Drug Safety and Risk Management. 2014.
- Ferner RE. Adverse drug reactions in dermatology. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2015;40(2):105-9; quiz 109-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/ced.12572
- Bircher AJ. Uncomplicated drug-induced disseminated exanthemas. Chem Immunol Allergy. 2012;97:79-97.
- Zhang X, Sang D, Zhang Z, Kong S. Analysis and study on 47 cases of adverse reactions of Chinese medicine injection. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2014;11(2):363-4. eCollection 2014. https://doi.org/10.4314/ajtcam.v11i2.23
- Chen YL, Hao YY, Guo FJ, Bian XL, Wu YC, Li YM. Research progress on chemical constituents and pharmacological activities of bufonis venenum. Chinese Tradtional and Herbal Drugs. 2017;48(12):2579-88.
- Lee SH, Choi DY, Baek YH, Lee JD. A bibliographic studies on the bufonis venenum for clinical treatment: important to toxicity and processing. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2009;26(1):121-33.
Supported by : 청연의학연구소