- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Appearance Satisfaction and School Adjustment in Nursing Students: Mediating Effect of Self-esteem and Moderating Effect of Gender
간호대학생의 외모만족과 학교생활적응: 자아존중감의 매개효과와 성별의 조절효과
- 박순주 (을지대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2018.05.03
- Accepted : 2018.07.13
- Published : 2018.07.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between appearance satisfaction and school adjustment of nursing students. The role of self-esteem and gender in the relationship between appearance satisfaction and school adjustment were also examined. A descriptive correlational design was adopted and the convenience sample consisted of 188 undergraduate nursing students in D city. It was found that appearance satisfaction affected directly and indirectly through self-esteem on school adjustment. The results indicated that self-esteem had partial mediation effects in the relationship between appearance satisfaction and school adjustment. Moderation effect of gender was found only in the relationship between appearance satisfaction and self-esteem. This meant that women were affected more than men according to the level of appearance satisfaction. The results suggested that the intervention program to support nursing students to accept themselves more positively and to enhance their self-esteem will be effective to help nursing students adjust themselves more to school life. It was also indicated in this study that specialized intervention programs are needed for women.
Appearance Satisfaction;School Adjustment;Self-esteem;College Student;Mediation Effect
- J. H. Nho, Y. E. Kim, and D. S. Jeong, "Mediating Effects of Self-esteem in the Relationship between Body Image and Depression of Female University Students," J. of the Korean Society of School Health, Vol.27, No.3, pp.196-202, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2014.27.3.196
- M. Hosogi, A. Okada, and C. Aujii, "Importance and usefulness of evaluating self-esteem in children," BioPsychoSocial Medicine, Vol.6, No.1, pp.9-15, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0759-6-9
- J. M. Hur and J. Y. Kim, "A Research about Effects of Satisfaction Level Rural Middle School Students have about their Appearances on School Adaptability - Focusing on the Mediacy Effect of Personal Relations and Self-esteem," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.19, No.11, pp.329-356, 2012.
- I. S. Caleon, M. G. L. Wui, and C. L. Chiam, "Personal strengths and perceived teacher support as predictors of Singapore students' academic risk status," Educational Psychology, Vol.37, No.8, pp.983-1000, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1080/01443410.2016.1259460
- M. Zuckerman, C. Li, and J. Hall, "When men and women differ in self-esteem and when they don't: A meta-analysis," J. of Research in Personality, Vol.64, pp.34-51, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2016.07.007
- W. Bleidorn, R. C. Arslan, and J. J. Denissen, "Age and gender differences in self-esteem-A cross-cultural window," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.111, No.3, pp.396-410, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1037/pspp0000078
- A. Lu, X. Hong, and Y. Yu, "Perceived physical appearance and life satisfaction: A moderated mediation model of self-esteem and life experience of deaf and hearing adolescents," J. of Adolescence, Vol.39, pp.1-9, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2014.11.005
- S. J. Chae, The Difference in Adolescents' Self-Respect and Self Efficiency Made by Their Satisfaction with Their Physical Appearances, Kyungpook University, Master's thesis, 2008.
- P. F. Secord and S. M. Jourard, "The appraisal of body-cathexis: Body-cathexis and the self," J of Consulting Psychology, Vol.17, No.5, p.343, 1953. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0060689
- M. Rosenberg, Rosenberg self-esteem scale (RSE). Acceptance and commitment therapy, Measures package 61, University of Wollongong, 1965.
- B. J. Cheon, "Self-Esteem: A Test of Its Measurability," J. of Yeonsei University, Vol.11, No.1, pp.107-130, 1974.
- C. Wang, Y. Xia, and W. Li, "Parenting behaviors, adolescent depressive symptoms, and problem behavior: The role of self-esteem and school adjustment difficulties among Chinese adolescents," J. of Family Issues, Vol.37, No.4, pp.520-542, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1177/0192513X14542433
- M. Pulido-Martos, J. M. Augusto-Landa, and E. Lopez-Zafra, "Sources of stress in nursing students: A systematic review of quantitative studies," International Nursing Review, Vol.59, No.1, pp.15-25, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2011.00939.x
- R. C. F. Chui and C. K. Chan, "School Adjustment, Social Support, and Mental Health of Mainland Chinese College Students in Hong Kong," J. of College Student Development, Vol.58, No.1, pp.88-100, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1353/csd.2017.0005
- M. H. Choe, J. H. Kim, and E. S. Nam, "Factors affecting job-seeking stress in nursing students," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.24, No.2, pp.122-131, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.2.122
- J. Borland and A. Jeigh, "Unpacking the beauty premium: What channels does it operate through, and has it changed over time?," Economic Record, Vol.90, No.288, pp.17-32, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-4932.12091
- S. C. Want, K. Vickers, and J. Amos, "The Influence of Television Programs on Appearance Satisfaction: Making and Mitigating Social Comparisons to Friends," Sex Roles, Vol.60, No.9-10, pp.642-655, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-008-9563-7
- A. Furnham, N. Badmin, and I. Sneade, "Body image dissatisfaction: Gender differences in eating attitudes, self-esteem, and reasons for exercise," J. of psychology, Vol.136, No.6, pp.581-596, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980209604820
- T. F. Cash, J. A. Morrow, and J. I. Hrabosky, "How has body image changed? A cross-sectional investigation of college women and men from 1983 to 2001," J. of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol.72, No.6, pp.1081-1089, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.72.6.1081
- E. J. Im, C. R. Ahn, and G. J. Lee, "School Life Adjustment in Relation to Perception and Concern Degree of Appearance in College Students," J. of the Korean Society of Design Culture, Vol.22, No.4, pp.547-558, 2016.
- S. M. Song, "The influences of appearance satisfaction on school adjustment and the mediating effects of self-efficacy between them among adolescents," J. of the Korean Society of School Health, Vol.26, No.1, pp.1-12, 2013.
- M. H. Kernis, Self-esteem issues and answers: A sourcebook of current perspectives, Psychology Press, 2013.
- O. Kim and K. Kim, "Body weight, self-esteem, and depression in Korean female adolescents," Adolescence, Vol.36, No.142, pp.315-322, 2001.
- R. W. Baker and B. Siryk, Student adaptation to college questionnaire (SACQ), Western Psychological Services, 1986.
- J. W. Hyun and J. H. Choi, "Effect of Perfectionism and Evaluative Threat on the Performance of Task," 1992 Conference Proceeding of Korean Psychological Association, pp.463-472, 1992.
- E. T. Barker and M. H. Bornstein, "Global self-esteem, appearance satisfaction, and self-reported dieting in early adolescence," The Journal of Early Adolescence, Vol.30, No.2, pp.205-224, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431609332936
- P. A. van den Berg, J. Mond, and M. Eisenberg, "The link between body dissatisfaction and self-esteem in adolescents: Similarities across gender, age, weight status, race/ethnicity, and socioeconomic status," J. of Adolescent Health, Vol.47, No.3, pp.290-296, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.02.004
- L. Wichstrom and T. von Soest, "Reciprocal relations between body satisfaction and self-esteem: A large 13-year prospective study of adolescents," J. of Adolescence, Vol.47, pp.16-27, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2015.12.003
- H. R. Cho and J. M. Choi, "Relationship between body satisfaction and appearance enhancement behavior of college students," Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol.16, No.4, pp.825-835, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.4.825
- M. Tiggemann, "Body image across the adult life span: Stability and change," Body image, Vol.1, No.1, pp.29-41, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1740-1445(03)00002-0
- H. K. Oh, "Phenomenological Analysis of Perception on Body Image of Female College Students," The J. of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.3, pp.289-300, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.289
- U. K. Moksnes and G. A. Espnes, "Self-esteem and life satisfaction in adolescents-gender and age as potential moderators," Quality of Life Research, Vol.22, No.10, pp.2921-2928, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-013-0427-4
- M. Crede and S. Niehorster, "Adjustment to college as measured by the student adaptation to college questionnaire: A quantitative review of its structure and relationships with correlates and consequences," Educational Psychology Review, Vol.24, No.1, pp.133-165, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-011-9184-5