- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Dominant Design Technology Strategy Based on Open Innovation : High Skewed Propeller(HSP) Design and Production System of Hyundai Heavy Industries Co.
개방형 기술혁신 기반의 지배적 디자인 기술개발 및 확보 전략 : 현대중공업의 HSP(High Skewed Propeller) 설계 및 생산 시스템
- Ahn, Yeon S. (Dept. of Business, Business College, Gachon University) ;
- Kim, Wha Young (Industry-Academy Cooperation Group, Gachon University)
- Received : 2018.03.25
- Accepted : 2018.03.28
- Published : 2018.03.31
This study presents a research model that demonstrates the dominant design technology strategy for developing and securing dominant design technology based on open innovation. For this purpose, this study developed a strategic model for the development and acquisition of design technology, production technology, and production system of propeller which satisfies the requirements of ship propulsion system required by ship owners and shipbuilders. By studying large propellers for ships, it is possible to embody a strategic model that can be used as a technology development strategy of dominant design that is effective in technology field of other industries. In this study, HSP (High Skewed Propeller) strategy of Hyundai Heavy Industries, which occupies the largest global market share (47.5%, 2007) for more than 30 years until now, is analyzed as a successful case to verify this strategic model. The development and acquisition strategy model of dominant design technology presented in this study consists of four stages : dominant design project strategy, dominant design engineering technology strategy, dominant design production technology strategy, and dominant design production system strategy. The strategic model summarizes the key activities at each stage. In addition, the steps and core activities of this strategic model were confirmed through the case study. As a technology development strategy of HSP products, Hyundai Heavy Industries utilized open innovation technology to cooperate with outside, that is, collaborative research and development with KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) research team, and succeeded in achieving technology development of dominant design of HSP products by linking it with HSP technology development and acquisition strategy.
Supported by : Gachon University
- Abernathy, W. and Utterback, J., "Patterns of Industrial Innovation", Technology Review, Vol. 80, No. 7, 1978, pp. 41-47.
- Afuah, A., Innovation Management : Strategies, Implementation, and Profits, 2nd Ed., Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Ahn, Y. S., Management of Technology, 2nd Ed., Chang Myoung Press, 2017.
- Bok, D. K. and Lee, Y. H., Status and Effect Analysis of Open Technology Innovation in Korean manufacturing industry, Samsung Economic Research Institute, 2008.
- Carlson, C. R. and Wilmot, W. W., Innovation, Random House Inc. translated by IY Moon (2008), 2006.
- Chesbrough, H. W. and Garman, A. R., "How Open Innovation Can Help You Cope in Lean Times", Harvard Business Review, Vol. 87, No. 12, 2009, pp. 68-76.
- Chesbrough, H. W., Open Innovation : The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology, Harvard Business Press, 2003.
- Chesbrough, H., Vanhaverbeke, W., and West, J., Open Innovation : Reaching a new paradigm, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Choi, B. K., Park, J. W., and Jun, C. S., "Cutter-Location Data Optimization in 5-Axis Surface Machining", Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 25, No. 6, 1993, pp. 377-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4485(93)90033-K
- Choi, B. K., Park, J. W., and Kim, W. Y., "Optimal CL Data for 5-Axis NC Machining of Sculptured Surface", '91 Spring Conference, Industrial Engineering Ass. of Korea, 1991, pp. 124-130.
- Christensen, C. M., The Evolution of Innovation, in The Technology Management Handbook, CRC Press, 1998.
- Christensen, C. M., The Innovator's Dilemma : When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail, Harvard Business School Press, 1997.
- Dahlander, L. and Gann, D. M., How open is innovation?, Paper Presented at the DRUID Summer Conference, 18 June 2007. Copenhagen, Denmark, 2007.
- Do, S. J. and Cho, K. T., "The Effect of Open Innovation on New Business Development", Korean management science review, Vol. 34, No. 1, 2017, pp. 27-45. https://doi.org/10.7737/KMSR.2017.34.4.027
- Gassmann, O., Ellen, E., and Chesbrough, H., "The Future of Open Innovation", R&D Management, Vol. 40, No. 3, 2010, pp. 213-221. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2010.00605.x
- Han, K. W., "Hyundai Heavy Industries Produces 5,000 Marine Propellers in 31 Years", Maeil Business Newspaper, 2017.
- HHI, "Engine Machinery Div., Production of 5,000 Propellers", HHI News, Hyundai Heavy Industries, Vol. 2465, 2017.
- HHI, "From Marine Engines to Power Plants, Robot Systems", HHI Magazine, Hyundai Heavy Industries, Vol. 446, 2012, pp. 6-7.
- HHI, "Fruits of Technology Development", HHI Magazine, Hyundai Heavy Industries, Vol. 409, 2009, pp. 28-29.
- HHI, HHI's History, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., 1992.
- Igartua, J. I., Garrigos, J. A., and Hervas-Oliveer, J. L., How Innovation Management Techniques Support an Open Innovation Strategy, Research-Technology Management, Industrial Research Institute, Inc., 2010.
Jun, C. S. and Ju, S. Y., "
$VC^2$Chord-Length Spline Surface", '91 Spring Conference, Industrial Engineering Ass. of Korea, 1991, p. 96.
- KAIST, Research Report on Joint Development of 9-Axis Machining System for Marine Propellers, Dept. of Industrial Engineering, 1990.
- Kim, C. H., Ko, C. Y., and Seol, S. S., "Case Study of Technological Commercialization Failure", Journal of Technological Innovation, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2012, pp. 203-223.
- Kim, D. S., "60 Years of Japanese Technology Overtakes in 5 Years, Maeil Business Newspaper, 1992, p. 12.
- Kim, K. Y., "Open Innovation through Case Study", LG Weekly Economy, LG Economic Research Institute, 2007, pp. 1-7.
- Kim, S. K., "Chesbrough's Open Innovation Theory", Science & Technology Policy, Science & Technology Policy Institute, Vol. 172, 2008.
- Kim, S. K., Chang, B. Y., Song, J. K., Ahn, D. H., Lee, K. H., and Choi, J. S., "Characteristics and Implications of Open Innovation in Industry", Science & Technology Policy Institute, 2008.
- Kim, W. Y., Lee, J. H., Lee, K. I., Jun, M. K., Kim, Y. S., Park, K. S., and Choi, B. K., "A Study on the Development of Automatic Machining System for Marine Propellers", Hyundai Engineering Review, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1991, pp. 21-24.
- Kirschbaum, R., Open Innovation n Practice, Research-Technology Management, Industrial Research Institute, Inc., 2004.
- KJC, Nakashima Propeller : Worthy of Craftsmanship, Japan Knowledge Report, Korea-Japan Industrial Technology Cooperation Foundation (www.kjc.or.kr).
- Korea Energy News, http://www.koenergy.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=87672, 2017.
- Kwon, K. H., Park, K. T., Park, J. Y., Choi, W. S., Choi, J. N., and Hong, K. H., Essence of Management, Life & Power., 2012.
- Lee, S. J., First Success of Furan Mold Method at HHI, Money Today, 2004.
- Lee, S. K., Bae, J. R., and Kim, J. K., "Technology Trend and Technology Development Strategy of Ship Propulsion System", Webzine of the Soc. of Naval Architects of Korea, 2015, pp. 2-12.
- Lee, S., Kim, K. S., and Park, J. H., "The Evolution of Process Technology Innovation to Determine the Dominant Design : Process Technology Innovation in the Shipbuilding Industry", The Business Administration Study, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2014, pp. 1379-1410.
- Lee, W. Y., Economics of Innovation, Life & Power Press, 2008.
- Min, K. S., "The Age of Change : Knowledge and Creativity Are the Sources of Value", HHI Magazine, Vol. 401, 2008, pp. 18-19.
- MK and KITA(Korea Industrial Technology Ass), Victory of Self-technology, Maeil Business Newspaper, 1993, pp. 71-75.
- Monsef, S. and Ismail, W., "The Impact of Open Innovation in New Product Development Process", International Journal of Fundamental Psychology & Social Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2012, pp. 7-12.
- Oh, S. J., Conditions of Open Innovation Success, LG Weekly Economy, LG Economic Research Institute, 2007, p. 949.
- Park, J. W., Jung, C. W., Kwon, Y. S., and Kang, S. P., "Development of Furan Mold Design and Machining System for Marine Propeller Casting", Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 40, No. 1, 2016, pp. 121-128. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.1.121
- Park, J. W., Optimal CL Data for 5-Axis NC Machining of Sculptured Surface, Master Thesis, KAIST, 1991.
- Park, Y. T., Technology and Management for Engineers, 2nd Ed., Life & Power Press, 2011.
- Schilling, M. A., Strategic Management of Technological Innovation, 2nd Ed., McGraw-Hill, translated by Kim, K. S.(2008), 2006.
- Shin, Y. K., Principle of Management, Da San Press, 2006.
- Utterback, J. M., Mastering the Dynamics of Innovation, Harvard Business School Press., tranlated by I.S. Kim etc., 1994.