- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Research on the Influencing Factors of the Usefulness of the Online Review and Products Sales : Based on Chinese Online Shopping Platform Data
온라인 리뷰 유용성과 상품매출에 영향을 주는 요인 : 중국 온라인 쇼핑 플랫폼 데이터를 기반으로
- Hwang, Chim (School of Business, Hanyang University) ;
- Kwon, Young-Jin (School of Business, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Yong Tom (School of Business, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2018.05.17
- Accepted : 2018.06.18
- Published : 2018.06.30
This empirical study explored characteristics that affect the usefulness of online reviews, in the China e-commerce platform, and implemented multiple regressions to find factors that significantly influence on product sales, ultimately. Till now, prior studies have continuously revealed what factor affects usefulness of online review or product sales, only in respective terms. The point of our study is that we built two-level regression models, thereby being able to comprehensively analyze these two different targets. Before plunging into running regressions, we carefully collected 192,764 online review data for 200 products extracted from the Jingdong, the second biggest e-commerce platform in China. Also, we gathered "review sentimental scores" variable from each review and used that one as a core variable in our regression model, thus we were able to implement both quantitative and qualitative research. The evidences from the two-level regression models showed that the extent to which a product is experience good positively affects both usefulness of a review and product sales, again the usefulness of a review contributes to product sales in sequence. Also, the property of experience good has interaction effect on both for two-level regression models. Our main findings highlight the importance of role of online review to business performance of e-commerce firms.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Basuroy, S., Chatterjee, S., and Ravid, S. A., "How critical are critical reviews? The box office effects of film critics, star power, and budgets", Journal of Marketing, Vol. 67, No. 4, 2003, pp. 103-117. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.184.108.40.20692
- Berger, C. R. and Calabrese, R. J., "Some explorations in initial interaction and beyond : Toward a developmental theory of interpersonal communication", Human Communication Research, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1974, pp. 99-112. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.1975.tb00258.x
- Cao, Q., Duan, W., and Gan, Q., "Exploring determinants of voting for the 'helpfulness' of online user reviews : A text mining approach", Decision Support Systems, Vol. 50, No. 2, 2011, pp. 511-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.11.009
- Channel Advisor, 2010 Consumer Shopping Habits Survey, 2010.
- Channel Advisor, 2011 Global Consumer Shopping Habits Survey, 2011.
- Chatterjee, P., "Online review : do consumers use them?", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 28, 2001, pp. 129-133.
- Chen, P. Y., Wu, S. Y., and Yoon, J., "The impact of online recommendations and consumer feedback on sales", Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems, 2004, pp. 711-724.
- Chen, Y., Fay, S., and Wang, Q., "Marketing implications of online consumer product reviews", Business Week, Vol. 7150, 2003, pp. 1-36.
- Chevalier, J. A. and Mayzlin, D., "The effect of word of mouth on sales : Online book reviews", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 43, No. 3, 2006 pp. 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.3.345
- Clemons, E. K., Gao, G. G., and Hitt, L. M., "When online reviews meet hyperdifferentiation : A study of the craft beer industry", Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 23, No. 2, 2006, pp. 149-171. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222230207
- Dellarocas, C., "The digitization of word of mouth : Promise and challenges of online feedback mechanisms", Management science, Vol. 49, No. 10, 2003, pp. 1407-1424. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.49.10.1407.17308
- Duan, W., Gu, B., and Whinston, A. B., "Do online reviews matter? An empirical investigation of panel data", Decision support systems, Vol. 45, No. 4, 2008, pp. 1007-1016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2008.04.001
- Elliott, K. M., Understanding consumer-to consumer influence on the web(Doctoral dissertation), 2004.
- Forman, C., Ghose, A., and Goldfarb, A., "Competition Between Local and Electronic Markets : How the Benefit of Buying Online Depends on Where You Live", Management Science, Vol. 55, No. 1, 2009, pp. 47-57. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1080.0932
- Godes, D. and Mayzlin, D., "Using online conversations to study word-of-mouth communication", Marketing Science, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2004, pp. 545-560. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1040.0071
- Granovetter, M., "The strength of weak ties", American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 78, No. 6, 1973, pp. 1360-1380. https://doi.org/10.1086/225469
- Hu, N., Liu, L., and Zhang, J. J., "Do online reviews affect product sales? The role of reviewer characteristics and temporal effects", Information Technology and Management, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2008, pp. 201-214. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10799-008-0041-2
- Kim, C. H., "The Influences of Internet WOM (word Of Mouth) Information Valence and Contents to WOM Effects-Focus on Cell-Phone Purchasing for Student via Online WOM", Korea Association for International Commerce and Information, Vol. 8, No. 4, 2006, pp. 23-41.
- Mudambi, S. M. and Schuff, D., "What makes a helpful online review? A study of customer reviews on Amazon.com", MIS Quarterly, Vol. 34, 2010, pp. 185-200. https://doi.org/10.2307/20721420
- Nelson, P., "Advertising as Information", Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 82, No. 4, 1974, pp. 729-754. https://doi.org/10.1086/260231
- Park, J. Y. and Yu, Y. S., "A Study on the Influence of Online Word-Of-Mouth Information's Direction on Word-Of-Mouth Effects : Focusing on the Moderating Effects of Brand Recognition", Korea Information Technology Service Industry Association, Vol. 8, No. 3, 2011, pp. 15-28.
- Reichheld, F. F., "The one number you need to grow", Harvard Business Review, Vol. 81, No. 12, 2003, pp. 46-55.
- Son, J. A. and Rlee, E. Y., "The effects on Information Characteristics(Direction, Consensus) on Word-of-Mouth Performance in Online Apparel Shopping", Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, Vol. 31, No. 8, 2007, pp. 1157-1167. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.8.1157
- Son, J. Y. and Eo, S. H., "An Effect of Directiveness of Online Transmissive Information When Purchasing Cosmetics Online on Purchase Intention of Consumer", Journal of korea Social Cosmentics, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2008, pp. 929-945.