- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Low Cost Motor Drive Technologies for ASEAN Electric Scooter
- Tuan, Vu Tran (School of Electrical Engineering (SEE), Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST)) ;
- Kreuawan, Sangkla (Machine and Drive Design Laboratory, National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC)) ;
- Somsiri, Pakasit (Machine and Drive Design Laboratory, National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC)) ;
- Huy, Phuong Nguyen (School of Electrical Engineering (SEE), Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST))
- Received : 2017.10.03
- Accepted : 2018.02.26
- Published : 2018.07.01
This work investigates two different motor drive technologies, switched reluctance motor (SRM) and induction motor (IM). They are designed optimally to meet the desired performances for electric scooters. The comparison of both motors is described in terms of performances and material cost. With the similar constraint, induction motor performs slightly better than switched reluctance motor. But this must be traded-off with higher weight and cost. Both drive systems are, however, suitable for electric scooter application. Finally, the range simulations are conducted on a European urban driving cycle, ECE15 driving cycle and a more realistic cycle, Bangkok driving cycle. The e-scooter ranges are varied from 36 to 109 km depending on driving cycle, motor technology and number of passengers.
Supported by : Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST)
- K. Kiyota and A. Chiba, "Design of Switched Reluctance Motor Competitive to 60-kW IPMSM in Third-Generation Hybrid Electric Vehicle," IEEE Transaction Industrial Application, vol. 48, pp. 2303- 2309, Nov/Dec 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2227091
- H. Mikami, K. Ide, Y. Shimizu, M. Senoo, and H. Seki, "Historical Evolution of Motor Technology," Hitachi Review, vol. 60, no. 1, 2011.
- D. G. Dorrell, A. M. Knight, M. Popescu, L. Evans, and D. A. Staton, "Comparison of different motor design drives for hybrid electric vehicles," 2010 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, pp. 3352-3359, Atlanta 2010.
- G. Pellegrino, A. Vagati, B. Boazzo, and P. Guglielmi, "Comparison of Induction and PM Synchronous Motor Drives for EV Application Including Design Examples," IEEE Transaction Industrial Application, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 2322-2332, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2227092
- B. Xia, Z. Ren, Y. Zhang, and C.-S. Koh, "An Adaptive Optimization Algorithm Based on Kriging Interpolation with Spherical Model and its Application to Optimal Design of Switched Reluctance Motor," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1544-1550, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1544
- Z. Yang, F. Shang, I. P. Brown, and M. Krishnamurthy, "Comparative Study of Interior Permanent Magnet, Induction, and Switched Reluctance Motor Drives for EV and HEV Applications," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 245- 254, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TTE.2015.2470092
- M. M. Namazi, A. Rashidi, H. Koofigar, S. M. Saghaiannejad, and J-W Ahn, "Adaptive Control of Switched Reluctance Motor Drives under Variable Torque Applications," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 134-144, Jan. 2017. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.1.134
- S. Tamsanya, S. Chungpaibulpatana, and B. Limmeechokchai, "Development of a driving cycle for the measurement of fuel consumption and exhaust emissions of automobiles in Bangkok during peak periods" Intentional Journal Automotive Technology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 251-264, Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-009-0030-4
- S. Sivaraju, F. Ferreira, and N. Devarajan, "Genetic algorithm based design optimization of a three-phase multiflux Induction Motor," XXth International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), pp. 288- 294, Sept. 2012.
- P. Venkataraman, Applied Optimization with Matlab Programming, A Wiley-Interscience publication, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2002.
- D. D. Pinheiro, G. M. Filho, E. G. Carati, R. Cardoso, C. M. O. Stein, and J. P. da Costa, "Input command strategies and analysis for energy optimization of induction motor drives," 12th IEEE International Conference on Industry Applications (INDUSCON), Brazil, Nov. 2016.
- L. Guzzella and A. Sciarretta, Vehicle propulsion systems: Introduction to Modeling and Optimization, Springer Verlag, 2007.
- L. Horrein, A. Bouscayrol, P. Delarue, J.N. Verhille, and C. Mayet, "Forward and Backward simulations of a power propulsion system" IFAC Proceedings Volumes, vol. 45, no. 21, pp. 441-446, 2012.
- M. Andre, "The ARTEMIS European driving cycles for measuring car pollutant emissions," Science of the Total Environment, no. 334-335, pp. 73-84, 2004.