- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Sales Performance on Salesperson's Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Need for Achievement
영업사원의 직무만족, 조직몰입, 성취욕구가 영업성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Gu, Ja-Won (Dept. of Global Business, Sungshin Women's University)
- 구자원 (성신여자대학교 글로벌비즈니스학과)
- Received : 2017.12.07
- Accepted : 2018.01.09
- Published : 2018.03.31
This research performed the empirical test for the effects of sales performance on salesperson's job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and need for achievement using 375 salesperson samples in Korea. Analyzed direct effects among the factors and mediation effects of organizational commitment and need for achievement as well. Results showed that job satisfaction have a significant positive (＋) impact on organizational commitment and sales performance, and organizational commitment significant positive influence on need for achievement. However, organizational commitment have no significant effect on sales performance. Need for achievement have a significant direct effect on sales performance positively and have mediation effect between organizational commitment and sales performance. For the mediating effect, organizational commitment have significant result between job performance and need for achievement, but have no significance between job performance and sales performance. This paper suggest that the implications. First, this research exam integrated and detailed analyze for job satisfaction, organizational commitment, need for achievement, and sales performance including the results of verified in precedent study. Second, identify job satisfaction and need for achievement are important factors on salesperson's performance and find out through the empirical test the importance having balance of satisfaction of salesperson's own job and need for achievement in the sales field rather than consider only organizational commitment. Third, in the existing research, high need for achievement increase organizational commitment as a predictor of organizational commitment factor. In this research, claim that organizational commitment also become as a predictor of need for achievement and high organizational commitment make need for achievement higher. Consequently, need for achievement and organizational commitment be interact with each other and significant effect on sales performance of sales force.
Supported by : 성신여자대학교
- 김귀현(1997), "성취욕구에 관한 이론적 고찰", 조직과 인사관리연구, 20(2), 215-247.
- 김문준․장석인(2015), "변혁적.거래적 리더십과 조직몰입 간의 관계에서 직무만족의 매개효과 연구: 경기지역(시화․반월․부천)의 기업을 중심으로", 인적자원관리연구, 22(1), 25-43.
- 김진희(2009), "고성과 인적자원관리 요인이 조직몰입유형에 미치는 효과 : 중소기업을 대상으로", 인적자원관리연구, 16, 49-69.
- 남정민․이공희․정병준(2012), "전략적 인적자원관리와 조직몰입의 관계에 대한 연구 - 조직수준의 조직신뢰와 개인수준의 성취욕구의 매개효과 검증 -", 인적자원관리연구, 19(5), 1-26.
- 박근수(2010), "멘토링 인지, 멘토링 전이와 조직몰입 관계에서 직무만족의 매개효과 분석", 산업교육연구, 20, 63-82.
- 박민혜.박정은.박준엽(2014), "효율적인 영업 방식이 거래 관계의 질과 영업성과에 미치는 영향: 고객지향성과 학습지향성을 중심으로", 마케팅관리연구, 19(4), 63-81.
- 박찬욱.석진홍.조아라(2014), "영업의 유형과 조직문화와의 적합성이 영업사원의 직무만족도와 조직몰입에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 고객만족경영연구, 16(1), 1-22.
- 박찬욱.조아라.안성민(2015), "B2B 영업사원의 역량모델 개발을 위한 탐색적 연구", 마케팅관리연구, 20(3), 31-63.
- 박혜영(2013), "항공사 조직건강이 조직몰입에 미치는 구조적 영향분석 - 직무만족의 매개효과를 중심으로- ", 관광연구, 28(3), 75-79.
- 이용탁(2014), "사회적기업 조직구성원의 심리적 자본이 직무만족 및 조직몰입에 미치는 영향", 경영과 정보연구, 33(1), 1-16.
- 우종필(2012), 구조방정식모델 개념과 이해, 한나래, 서울.
- 조동규.양재생.이만규(2004), "조직구성원의 직무만족과 조직몰입에 관한 연구", 인적자원관리연구, 10, 37-54.
- 전광호.김상용(2004), "영업사원의 직무성과, 만족, 조직몰입, 이직의도와의 관계에서 대안 매력도의 역할", 한국과학기술정보연구원, 9(2), 45-73.
- 정희준.구자원.최용주(2016), "영업성과 결정요인에 관한 탐색적 연구, SPC 모형을 중심으로", 경영교육연구, 31(4), 139-163.
- 차재빈.류가연.이훈영(2013), "제약영업사원의 개인-직무 적합/개인-조직 적합과 직무 만족, 조직몰입, 이직의도와의 관계", 대한경영학회지, 26(3), 567-588.
- 최수형(2016), "조직구성원의 공감이 직무만족과 이직의도에 미치는 영향 - 직무스스테스의 매개효과 - ", 경영과 정보연구, 35(4), 229-250.
- 최수형.강희경(2015), " 중국인 근로자의 긍정심리자본이 조직몰입과 직무만족에 미치는 영향 - 긍정적 정서의 매개효과 - ", 경영과 정보연구, 34(5), 233-249.
- 편해수(2015), "유통경로 관계에서 영업사원의 조직지원 인식이 직무만족과 고객에 대한 공감에 미치는 영향", 경영컨설팅연구, 15(4), 147-157.
- Allen, N., and Meyer, J. (1984), "Testing the 'side-bet theory' of organizational commitment: some methodological considerations", Journal of Applied Psychology, 69(3), 372-378. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.3.372
- Altintas, F., Kurtulmusoglu, F. B., Altintas, M. H., Kaufmann, H. R., and Alkibay, S. (2017), "The mediating effects of adaptive selling and commitment on the relationship between management control and sales performance", EuroMed Journal of Business, 12(2), 221-240. https://doi.org/10.1108/EMJB-12-2016-0037
- Amyx, D., and Alford, B. L. (2005), "The effects of salesperson need for achievement and sales manager leader reward behavior", The Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 25(4), 345-359.
- Babakus, E., Cravens, D. W., Johnston, M., and Moncrief, W. C. (1999), "The role of emotional exhaustion in sales force attitude and behavior relationships", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 27(1), 58-70. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070399271005
- Bacharach, S. and Mitchell, S. (1982), The quality of working life of professional, technical, and scientific employees of New York State, Report to the Joint Labor-Management Committee on Professional Development and QWL, NYSSILR, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- Bagozzi, R. P. (1980), "Performance and satisfaction in an industrial sales force: An examination of their antecedents and simultaneity", The Journal of Marketing, 44(2), 65-77. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224298004400208
- Barrick, M. R., Mount, M. K., and Strauss, J. P. (1993), "Conscientiousness and performance of sales representatives: test of the mediating effects of goal setting", Journal of Applied Psychology, 78(5), 715- 722. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.5.715
- Bashaw, R. E., and Grant, K. S. (1994), "Exploring distinctive nature of work commitments: their relationships with personal characteristics, job performance, and propensity to leave", Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 14(2), 41-56.
- Behrman, D. N., and Perreault, W. D. (1982), "Measuring the performance of industrial salespersons", Journal of Business Research, 10, 355-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(82)90039-X
- Benkhoff, B. (1997), "Ignoring commitment is costly: new approaches establish the missing link between commitment and performance", Human Relations, 50(6), 701-726. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679705000604
- Blickle, G., John, J., Ferris, G. R., Momm, T., Liu, Y., Haag, R., Meyer, G., Weber, K., and Oerder, K. (2012), "Fit of political skill to the work context: a two-study investigation", Applied Psychology, 61(2), 295-322. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-0597.2011.00469.x
- Boles, J. S., Johnston, M. W., and Hair, J. F. (1997), "Role stress, work-family conflict and emotional exhaustion: inter-relationships and effects on some work-related consequences", The Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 17(1), 17-28.
- Brashear, T. G., Lepkowska-White, E., and Chelariu, C. (2006), "An empirical test of antecedents and consequences of salesperson job satisfaction among Polish retail salespeople", Journal of Business Research, 56(12), 971-978. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(01)00333-2
- Brown, S. P., and Peterson, R. A. (1993), "Antecedents and consequences of salesperson job satisfaction: Meta-analysis and assessment and causal effects", Journal of Marketing Research, 30(1), 63-77. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379303000106
- Chang, J. (2004), "Beating Burnout", Sales & Marketing Management, 156(3), 47-48.
- Churchill, G. A., Ford, N. M., Hartley, S. W., and Walker O. C. (1985), "The determinants of salesperson performance: a meta-analysis", Journal of Marketing Research, 22(2), 103-118. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378502200201
- Churchill, G., Ford, N., and Walker, O. (1974), "Measuring the job satisfaction of industrial salesmen", Journal of Marketing Research, 11(3), 254-260. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224377401100303
- Grant, K., Cravens, D. W., Low, G. S., and Moncrief, W. C. (2001), "The role of satisfaction with territory design on the motivation, attitudes, and work outcomes of salespeople", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 29(2), 165-178. https://doi.org/10.1177/03079459994533
- Humphrey, S. E., Nahrgang, J. D., and Morgeson, F. P. (2007), "Integrating motivational, social, and contextual work design features: A meta-analytic summary and extension of the work design literature", The Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(5), 1332-1356. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.5.1332
- Jaramillo, F., Mulki, J. P., and Marshall, G. W. (2005), "A meta-analysis of the relationship between organizational commitment and salesperson job performance: 25 years of research", Journal of Business Research, 58(6), 705-714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2003.10.004
- Katsikea, E., Theodosiou, M., Perdikis, N., and Kehagias, J. (2011), "The effects of organizational structure and job characteristics on export sales managers' job satisfaction and organizational commitment", Journal of World Business, 46(2), 221-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2010.11.003
- Ladik, D. M., Marshall, G. W., Lassk, F. G. and Moncrief, W. C. (2002), "Reexamining gender issues in salesperson propensity to leave", Industrial Marketing Management, 31(7), 599-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(02)00180-3
- Leigh, T. W., DeCarlo, T. E., Allbright, D., and Lollar, J. (2014), "Salesperson knowledge distinctions and sales performance", Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 34(2), 123-140. https://doi.org/10.1080/08853134.2014.890902
- Leong, S. M., Randall, D. M., and Cote, J. A. (1994), "Exploring the organizational commitment-Performance linkage in marketing: A study of life insurance salespeople", Journal of Business Research, 29(1), 57-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(94)90027-2
- Lewin, J. E., and Sager, J. K. (2007), "A process model of burnout among salespeople: some new thoughts", Journal of Business Research, 60(12), 1216-1224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.04.009
- Lussiera B., and Hartmann, N. N. (2016), "How psychological resourcefulness increases salesperson's sales performance and the satisfaction of their customers: Exploring the mediating role of customeroriented behaviors", Industrial Marketing Management, 62, 160-170.
- Macintosh, G., and Krush, M. (2014), "Examining the link between salesperson networking behaviors, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment: Does gender matter?", Journal of Business Research, 67(12), 2628-2635. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2014.03.022
- Malshe, A., Johnson, J. S., and Viio, P. (2017), "Understanding the sales-marketing interface dysfunction experience in business-to-business firms: A matter of perspective", Industrial Marketing Management, 63, 145-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2016.10.014
- Mathieu, J. E., and Zajac, D. M. (1990), "A review and meta-analysis of the antecedents, correlates, and consequences of organizational commitment", Psychological Bulletin, 108(2), 171-194. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.108.2.171
- Maxwell S., Reed G., Saker J., and Story V. (2005), "The two faces of playfulness: a new tool to select potentially successful sales reps", Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 25(3), 215-229.
- Meyer, J. P., Allen, N. J., Smith, C. A. (1993), "Commitment to organizations and occupations: extension and test of a three-component conceptualization", Journal of Applied Psychology, 78(4), 538-551. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.4.538
- Meyer, J. P., Stanley, D. J., Herscovitch, L., and Topolnytsky, L. (2002), "Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization: A meta-analysis of antecedents, correlates, and consequences", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 61(1), 20-52. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1842
- Morgeson, F. P., and Humphrey, S. E. (2006), "The work design questionnaire (WDQ): Developing and validating a comprehensive measure for assessing job design and the nature of work", The Journal of Applied Psychology, 91(6), 1321-1339. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.6.1321
- Mulki, J. P., Jaramillo, F., and Locander, W. B. (2006), "Effects of ethical climate and supervisory trust on salesperson's job attitudes and intentions to quit", The Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 26(1), 19-26. https://doi.org/10.2753/PSS0885-3134260102
- Netemeyer, R., Johnston, M., and Burton, S. (1990), "Analysis of role conflict and role ambiguity in a structural equations framework", Journal of Applied Psychology, 75(2), 148-157. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.75.2.148
- Palmatier, R. W., Scheer, L. K., and Steenkamp, J-B. E. M. (2007), "Customer loyalty to whom? Managing the benefits and risks of salesperson-owned loyalty", Journal of Marketing Research, 44(2), 185-199. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.44.2.185
- Panagopoulos, N. G., and Ogilvie, J. (2015), "Can salespeople lead themselves? thought self-leadership strategies and their influence on sales performance", Industrial Marketing Management, 47, 190-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2015.02.043
- Park, J. E., and Deitz, G. D. (2006), "The effect of working relationship quality on salesperson performance and job satisfaction: adaptive selling behavior in Korean automobile sales representatives", Journal of Business Research, 59(2), 204-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.04.002
- Rentz, J. O., Shepherd, C. D., Tashchian, A., Dabholkar, P. A., and Ladd, R. T. (2002), "A measure of selling skill: scale development and validation", Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 22(1), 13-21.
- Rutherford, B., Boles, J., Hamwi, G. A., Madupalli, R., and Rutherford, L. (2009), "The role of the seven dimensions of job satisfaction in salesperson's attitudes and behaviors", Journal of Business Research, 62(11), 1146-1151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.10.019
- Rutherford, B., Park, J. U., and Han, S. L. (2011), "Increasing job performance and decreasing salesperson propensity to leave: an examination of an asian sales force", The Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 31(2), 171-183. https://doi.org/10.2753/PSS0885-3134310205
- Sager, J. K. (1991), "Type a behavior pattern(tabp) among salespeople and its relationship to job stress", Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 11(2), 1-12.
- Saxe, R. and Weitz, B. A. (1982), "The SOCO scale: A Measure of the customer orientation of salespeople", Journal of Marketing Research, 19(3), 343-351. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378201900307
- Singh J., Goolsby J. R., and Rhoads G. K. (1994), "Behavioral and psychological consequences of boundary spanning burnout for customer service representatives", Journal of Marketing Research, 31(4), 558-569. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379403100409
- Soyer, R. B., Rovenpor, J. L., and Kopelman, R. E. (1999), "Narcissism and achievement motivation as related to three facets of the sales role: attraction, satisfaction, and performance", Journal of Business & Psychology, 14, 285-304. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022147326001
- Steers, R. M., and Braunstein, D. N. (1976), "A behaviorally-based measure of manifest needs in work settings", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 9(2), 251-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(76)90083-X
- Sujan, H., Weitz, B. A., and Kumar, N. (1994), "Learning orientation, working smart, and effective selling", The Journal of Marketing, 58(3), 39-52. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299405800303
- Vinchur, A., Schippmann, J., Switzer, F., Roth, P. (1998), "A meta-analytic review of predictors of job performance for salespeople", Journal of Applied Psychology, 83(4), 586-597. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.4.586
- Wihler, A., Meurs, J. A., Momm, T. D., John, J., and Blickle, G. (2017), "Conscientiousness, extraversion, and field sales performance: Combining narrow personality, social skill, emotional stability, and nonlinearity", Personality and Individual Differences, 104, 291-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2016.07.045