- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effect of the Fiber Volume Fraction Non-uniformity and Resin Rich Layer on the Rib Stiffness Behavior of Composite Lattice Structures
섬유체적비 불균일 및 수지응집층이 복합재 격자 구조체 리브의 강성도 거동에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Min-Song (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chung-Nam National University) ;
- Jeon, Min-Hyeok (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chung-Nam National University) ;
- Kim, In-Gul (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chung-Nam National University) ;
- Kim, Mun-Guk (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chung-Nam National University) ;
- Go, Eun-Su (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chung-Nam National University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Woo (Defense and Aerospace Division, Hankuk Fiber Group)
- Received : 2018.04.13
- Accepted : 2018.08.27
- Published : 2018.08.31
Cylindrical composite lattice structures are manufactured by filament winding process. The fiber volume fraction non-uniformity and resin rich layers that can occur in the manufacturing process affect the stiffness and strength of the structure. Through the cross-section examination of the hoop and helical ribs, which are major elements of the composite lattice structure, we observed the fiber volume fraction non-uniformity and resin rich layers. Based on the results of the cross-section examination, the stiffness of the ribs was analyzed through the experimental and theoretical approaches. The results show that the fiber volume fraction non-uniformity and resin rich layers have an obvious influence on the rib stiffness of composite lattice structure.
Supported by : 민군협력진흥원(ICMTC)
- Cann, M.T., and Adams, D.O., "Characterization of Fiber Volume Fraction Gradients in Composite Laminates", Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 42, No. 5, 2008, pp. 447-466. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998307086206
- Zemcik, R., Srbova, H., Ekstein, K., Pirner, I., and Medlin, R., "Analysis of the Fiber Distribution, Size, and Volume Ratio of Unidirectional Composite Plates with Different Thicknesses", Materiali in Tehnologije / Materials and Technology, Vol. 51, No. 1, Feb. 2017, pp. 59-64. https://doi.org/10.17222/mit.2015.195
- ASTM D2584, Standard Test Method for Ignition Loss of Cured Reinforced Resins.
- ASTM D7264, Standard Test Method for Flexural Properties of Polymer Matrix Composite Materials.
- Jeon, M.H., Kang, M.S., Kim, I.G., Kim, M.G., Go, E.S., and Lee, S.W., "Compression and Bending Test for the Stiffness of Composite Lattice Subelement", Composites Research, Vol. 30, No. 6, 2017, pp. 331-337. https://doi.org/10.7234/COMPOSRES.2017.30.6.331
- Ugural, A.C., and Fenster, S.K., Advanced Mechanics of Materials and Applid Elasticity, Pearson Education, 2011.
- Whitney, J.M., Structural Analysis of Laminated Anisotropic Plates, 1987.
- Vasiliev, V.V., Barynin, V.A., and Rasin, A.F., "Anisogrid Lattice Structures - Survey of Development and Application", Composite Structures, Vol. 54, 2001, pp. 361-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(01)00111-8
- Terashima, K., Kamita, T., Kimura, G., Uzawa, T., Aoki, T., and Yokozeki, T., "Experimental and Analytical Study of Composite Lattice Structure for Future Japanese Launchers", The 19th International Conference on Composite Materials, 2013, pp. 5373-5382.