- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Biased Media Perceptions from (In)congruency between TV Audience's and Broadcasting Company's Partisanship on Evaluations of the Broadcasting Channel
시청자와 방송사의 정치성향의 (불)일치가 방송채널 평가에 미치는 편향적 매체지각 효과
- 송인덕 (중부대학교 문화콘텐츠학부 신문방송학전공)
- Received : 2018.07.05
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.28
This study, expending the existing concept of hostile media perception to biased media perception, empirically examined the effects of TV audience's political disposition(liberal, neutral, conservative) and broadcasting company's political disposition perceived by the audience(liberal, neutral, conservative) on evaluations of the broadcasting channel(interestedness, diversity, creativity, reliability, usefulness, fairness, public interest). With the nationwide online survey data from 624 adult audiences, a broadcasting company evaluated as the most neutral in political disposition at the moments of data gathering was selected and respondents' evaluations of the broadcasting channel were analyzed in a two-way factorial multiple analysis of covariance(MANCOVA). The results showed that the perceived political disposition of the broadcasting company affects audiences' evaluations of the channel while audiences' their own political dispositions do not. In addition, due to the interaction effects between audience's and broadcasting company's political dispositions, congruency in political dispositions led to positive evaluations(congenial media perceptions) while incongruency led to negative ones(hostile media perceptions). Based on these results, theoretical and empirical implications were discussed in terms of the formation of attitudes toward TV broadcasting channels.
Supported by : 중부대학교
- http://blog.cheil.com/29763, 2018.6.18.
- 방송통신위원회, 2017년도 방송사업자 재산상황 공표집, 2018.
- 신지형, 정부연, 2017년 시청자평가지수(KI) 조사보고서, 정보통신정책연구원, 2017.
- 김병진, 이상은, 양종훈, "박근혜 대통령 탄핵 보도 편향성에 관한 연구: MBC와 JTBC의 저녁종합뉴스를 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제17권, 제11호, pp.554-566, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.11.554
- 김미선, "정치적 소통 만족에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구: 정치적 성향과 미디어 이용을 중심으로," 한국콘첸츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제5호, pp.179-190, 2015.
- 이종혁, "언론 보도에 대한 편향적 인식이 공정성 평가에 미치는 영향: 우호적, 중도적, 적대적 매체에 대한 비교 검증," 한국언론학보, 제59권, 제1호, pp.7-36, 2015.
- R. P. Vallone, L. Ross, and M. R. Lepper, "The hostile media phenomenon: Biased perception and perceptions of media bias in coverage of the Beiruit massacre," Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, Vol.49, pp.577-589, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2067
- 안차수, "언론소비자가 갖는 이슈에 대한 태도가 언론의 공정성 판단에 미치는 영향," 한국언론정보학보, 제46호, pp.323-353, 2009.
- A. C. Gunther and S. C. Y. Chia, "Predicting pluralistic ignorance: The hostile media perception and its consequences," Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, Vol.78, No.4, pp.688-701, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769900107800405
- A. C. Gunther and C. T. Christen, "Projection or persuasive press? Contrary effects of personal opinion and percieved news coverage on estimates of public opinion," Journal of Communication, Vol.52, No.1, pp.177-195, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2002.tb02538.x
- A. C. Gunther, C. T. Christen, J. L. Liebhart, and S. C. Y. Chia, "Congenial public, contrary press: The relative hostile media effect and its consequences," Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol.65, No.3, pp.295-320, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1086/322846
- R. J. Dalton, P. A. Beck, and R. Huckfeldt, "Partisan cues and the media: Information flows in the 1992 presidential campaign," American Political Science Review, Vol.92, pp.111-126, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/2585932
- J. Choi, M. Yang, and J. Chang, "Elaboration of the hostile media perception: The roles of involvement, media skepticism, congruency of perceived media influence, and perceived opinion climate," Communication Research, Vol.36, No.1, pp.54-75, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650208326462
- R. Giner-Sorolla and S. Chaiken, "The causes of hostile media judgements," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.30, pp.165-180, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1006/jesp.1994.1008
- K. S. Kim and Y. Pasadeos, "Study of partisan news readers reveals hostile media perceptions of balanced stories," Newspaper Research Journal, Vol.28, pp.99-106, 2007.
- 오택섭, 박선희, 이강형, 민영, "텔레비전 후보자 토론회와 적대적 매체지각: 17대 대통령 후보 토론회를 중심으로," 한국방송학보, 제22권, 제4호, pp.127-164, 2008.
- J. Duck, D. Terry, and M. Hogg, "Perceptions of a media campaign: The role of social identity and the changing intergroup context," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.24, pp.3-16, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167298241001
- C. Hoffner and R. Rehkoff, "Young voters' responses to the U.S. presidential election: Social identity, perceived media influence, and behavioral outcomes," Journal of Communication, Vol.61, pp.732-757, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2011.01565.x
- K. Matheson and S. Durson, "Social identity precursors to the hostile media phenomenon: Partisan perceptions of coverage of the Bosnian conflict," Group Process & Intergroup Relations, Vol.4, pp.116-125, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/1368430201004002003
- 황치성, "갈등 이슈에 대한 개인 의견과 특정 신문에 대한 태도가 기사 편향지각에 미치는 영향: 적대적 매체지각 이론을 중심으로," 한국언론학보, 제51권, 제3호, pp.308-327, 2007.
- L. M. Arpan and A. A. Raney, "An experimental investigation of news source and the hostile media effect," Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, Vol.80, No.2, pp.265-281, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769900308000203
- A. C. Gunther, "Biased press or biased public? Attitudes toward media coverage of social groups," Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol.56, No.2, pp.147-167, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1086/269308
- A. C. Gunther and J. L. Liebhart, "Broad reach or biased source? Decomposing the hostile media effect," Journal of Communication, Vol.56, No.3, pp.449-466, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2006.00295.x
- A. C. Gunther, N. Miller, and J. L. Liebhart, "Assimilation and contrast in a test of the hostile media effect," Communication Research, Vol.36, pp.747-764, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650209346804
- A. C. Gunther and K. Schmitt, "Mapping boundaries of the hostile media effect," Journal of Communication, Vol.54, No.1, pp.55-70, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2004.tb02613.x
- K. M. Schmitt, A. C. Gunther, and J. L. Liebhart, "Why partisans see mass media as biased," Communication Research, Vol.31, No.6, pp.623-641, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650204269390
- Y. Tsfati, "Hostile media perceptions, presumed media influence, and minority alienation: The case of Arabs in Israel," Journal of Communication, Vol.57, No.4, pp.632-651, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2007.00361.x
- 오택섭, 박성희, "적대적 매체지각: 메시지인가 메신저인가," 한국언론학보, 제49권, 제2호, pp.135-166, 2005.
- 송인덕, "언론사의 정파성 인식과 수용자의 정치성향에 따른 편향적 매체지각: 신문사설을 중심으로," 커뮤니케이션 이론, 제10권, 제3호, pp.222-257, 2014.
- C. G. Lord, L. Ross, and M. R. Lepper, "Biased assimilation and attitude polarization: The effects of prior theories on subsequently considered evidence," Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, Vol.37, pp.2098-2109, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.118
- R. Ahluwalia, "Examination of psychological process underlying resistance to persuasion," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.27, pp.217-232, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1086/314321
- S. A. Reid, "A self categorization explanation for the hostile media effect," Journal of Communication, Vol.62, No.3, pp.381-399, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2012.01647.x
- P. Gussin and M. A. Baum, "In the eye of beholder: An experimental investigation into the foundation of the hostile media phenomenon," Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, 2004.
- 이학식, 임지훈, SPSS 24 매뉴얼, 집현재, 2017.