- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Determinants of Safety and Satisfaction with In-Vehicle Voice Interaction : With a Focus of Agent Persona and UX Components
자동차 음성인식 인터랙션의 안전감과 만족도 인식 영향 요인 : 에이전트 퍼소나와 사용자 경험 속성을 중심으로
- Received : 2018.06.28
- Accepted : 2018.08.16
- Published : 2018.08.28
Services for navigation and entertainment through AI-based voice user interface devices are becoming popular in the connected car system. Given the classification of VUI agent developers as IT companies and automakers, this study explores attributes of agent persona and user experience that impact the driver's perceived safety and satisfaction. Participants of a car simulator experiment performed entertainment and navigation tasks, and evaluated the perceived safety and satisfaction. Results of regression analysis showed that credibility of the agent developer, warmth and attractiveness of agent persona, and efficiency and care of the UX dimension showed significant impact on the perceived safety. The determinants of perceived satisfaction were unity of auto-agent makers and gender as predisposing factors, distance in the agent persona, and convenience, efficiency, ease of use, and care in the UX dimension. The contributions of this study lie in the discovery of the factors required for developing conversational VUI into the autonomous driving environment.
Speech Recognition Agent;In-vehicle Infotainment System;User Experience;Agent Persona
- J. D. Lee, B. Caven, S. Haake, and T. L. Brown, "Speech-Based Interaction with In-Vehicle Computers: The Effect of Speech-Based E-mail on Drivers' Attention to the Roadway," Human Factors, Vol.43, No.4, pp.631-640, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1518/001872001775870340
- M. H. Cohen, M. H. Cohen, J. P. Giangola, and J. Balogh, Voice User Interface Design, Addison-Wesley Professional, 2004.
- A. Purington, J. G. Taft, S. Sannon, N. N. Bazarova, and S. H. Taylor, "Alexa is My New BFF: Social Roles, User Satisfaction, and Personification of the Amazon Echo," In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computer Systems, pp.2853-2859, 2017(5).
- C. Nass, Y. Moon, B. J. Fogg, B. Reeves, and D. C. Dryer, "Can Computer Personalities Be Human Personalities?," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol.43, No.2, pp.223-239, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1006/ijhc.1995.1042
- C. Nass, J. Steuer, E. Tauber, and H. Reeder, "Anthropomorphism, Agency, and Ethopoeia: Computers as Social Actors," In INTERACT'93 and CHI'93 Conference Companion on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp.111-112, 1993(4).
- A. Danielescu and G. Christian, "A Bot is Not a Polyglot: Designing Personalities for Multi-Lingual Conversational Agents," In Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM, p.CS01, 2018(4).
- 홍은지, 조광수, 최준호, "스마트홈 대화형 인터페이스의 의인화 효과," 한국 HCI 학회 논문지, 제12권, 제1호, pp.15-23, 2017.
- S. Mennicken, O. Zihler, F. Juldaschewa, V. Molnar, D. Aggeler, and E. M. Huang, "It's Like Living with a Friendly Stranger: Perceptions of Personality Traits in a Smart Home," In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing, ACM, pp.120-131, 2016(9).
- C. Pankok and D. Kaber, "The Effect of Navigation Display Clutter on Performance and Attention Allocation in Presentation-and Simulator-Based Driving Experiments," Applied Ergonomics, Vol.69, pp.136-145, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2018.01.008
- A. Yoneoka, Y. Du, D. Sawada, and Y. Horita, "Examination of the Visibility of Car Mounted Display in Car Navigation System," In Advanced Image Technology (IWAIT) 2018 International Workshop, pp.1-3, 2018(1).
- J. K. Caird, C. T. Scialfa, G. Ho, and A. Smiley, "A Meta-Analysis of Driving Performance and Crash Risk Associated with the Use of Cellular Telephones While Driving," In Proceedings of the Third International Driving Symposium on Human Factors in Driving Assessment, Training and Vehicle Design, 2005(6).
- D. L. Strayer, J. Turrill, J. M. Cooper, J. R. Coleman, N. Medeiros-Ward, and F. Biondi, "Assessing Cognitive Distraction in the Automobile," Human Factors, Vol.57, No.8, pp.1300-1324, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018720815575149
- C. C. Chang, J. Sodnik, and L. N. Boyle, "Don't Speak and Drive: Cognitive Workoad of In-Vehicle Speech Interactions," In Adjunct Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications, pp.99-104, 2016(10).
- R. Llaneras, N. Lerner, T. Dingus, and J. Moyer, "Attentional Demand of IVIS Auditory Displays: An On-Road Study Under Freeway Environments," In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, Vol.44, No.20, pp.3-238, 2000(7).
- L. Deng, D. E. Turner, R. Gehling, and B. Prince, "User Experience, Satisfaction, and Continual Usage Intention of IT," European Journal of Information Systems, Vol.19, No.1, pp.60-75, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2009.50
- G. Ball and J. Breese, Emotion and Personality in a Conversational Agent, Embodied Conversational Agents, pp.189-219, 2000.
- 김유정, 한상규, 윤종묵, 허은영, 김정훈, 이중식, "챗봇 에이전트 정체성 (identity) 에 따른 사용자의 인식 및 행동 차이에 대한 연구," 한국 HCI 학회 논문지, 제12권, 제4호, pp.45-55, 2017.
- L. Takayama and C. Nass, "Driver Safety and Information from Afar: An Experimental Driving Simulator Study of Wireless vs. In-Car Information Services," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol.66, No.3, pp.173-184, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.06.005
- B. Pfleging and A. Schmidt, "Driving-Related Activities in the Car: Defining Driver Activities for Manual and Automated Driving," In Workshop in Experiencing Autonomous Vehicles: Crossing the Boundaries Between a Drive and a Ride at CHI, Vol.15, 2015.
- G. Haubl, "A Cross-National Investigation of the Effects of Country of Origin and Brand Name on the Evaluation of a New Car," International Marketing Review, Vol.13, No.5, pp.76-97, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/02651339610131405
- K. P. Wiedmann, N. Hennigs, S. Schmidt, and T. Wuestefeld, "Drivers and Outcomes of Brand Heritage: Consumers' Perception of Heritage Brands in the Automotive Industry," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol.19, No.2, pp.205-220, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679190206
- A. Jamal and M. Al-Marri, "Exploring the Effect of Self-Image Congruence and Brand Preference on Satisfaction: The Role of Expertise," Journal of Marketing Management, Vol.23, No.7-8, pp.613-629, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1362/026725707X2266
- S. Nandan, "An Exploration of the Brand Identity-Brand Image Linkage: A Communications Perspective," Journal of Brand Management, Vol.12, No.4, pp.264-278, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540222
- S. Kang, How Do Korean Automobile Companies Adapt Brand Management to the Swedish Market: The Case of Kia Motors Sweden AB, Linnaeus University, Independent Thesis, 2010.
- T. M. Brill, "Siri, Alexa, and Other Digital Assistants: A Study of Customer Satisfaction With Artificial Intelligence Applications," Electronic Dissertations & Theses, Vol.1, 2018.
- A. Sharma Grover, O. Steward, and D. Lubensky, "Designing Interactive Voice Response (IVR) Interfaces: Localisation for Low Literacy Users," In Proceedings of Computers and Advanced Technology in Education, CATE 2009, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands, 2009.
- J. Healey and D. Szostak, "Relating to Speech Evoked Car Personalities," In CHI'13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM, pp.1653-1658, 2013(4).
- S. Reysen, "Construction of a New Scale: The Reysen Likability Scale," Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal, Vol.33, No.2, pp.201-208, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2005.33.2.201
- 김진우, HCI 개론, 안그라픽스, 2005.
- A. Marcus, "Cross-Cultural User-Experience Design," In International Conference on Theory and Application of Diagrams, pp.16-24, 2006(6).
- J. Nielsen, "Usability Inspection Methods," In Conference Companion on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp.413-414, 1994(4).
- J. Park, S. H. Han, H. K. Kim, S. Oh, and H. Moon, "Modeling User Experience: A Case Study on a Mobile Device," International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol.43, No.2, pp.187-196, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2013.01.005
- A. Meschtscherjakov, D. Wilfinger, N. Gridling, K. Neureiter, and M. Tscheligi, "Capture the Car!: Qualitative In-Situ Methods to Grasp the Automotive Context," In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applicances, pp.105-112, 2011(11).
- A. Folstad and M. Skjuve, "Business and Pleasure? Relational Interaction in Conversational UX," Presented at CHI '18 Workshop: Voice-Based Conversational UX Studies and Design, Montreal, 2018.
- https://www.gran turismo.com/kr/gtsport/manual/
- https://aws.amazon.com/ ko/polly/?nc2=h_a1
- J. Y. Jian, A. M. Bisantz, and C. G. Drury, "Foundations for an Emperically Determined Scale of Trust in Automated Systems," International Journal of Cognitive Ergonomics, Vol.4, No.1, pp.53-71, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327566IJCE0401_04
- C. J. Fombrun, N. A. Gardberg, and J. M. Sever, "The Reputation Quotient SM: A Multi-Stakeholder Measure of Corporate Reputation," Journal of Brand Management, Vol.7, No.4, pp.241-255, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2000.10
- S. J. Newell and R. E. Goldsmith, "The Development of a Scale to Measure Perceived Corporate Credibility," Journal of Business Research, Vol.52, No.3, pp.235-247, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00104-6
- A. M. Lund, "Measuring Usability with the Use Questionnaire12," Usability Interface, Vol.8, No.2, pp.3-6, 2001.
- 임영빈, 나건, "사용자 경험 기반 자동차 디자인 관련 감성 가치 연구," 한국디자인문화학회지, 제21권, 제3호, pp.589-603, 2015.
- I. Vekiri and A. Chronaki, "Gender Issues in Technology Use: Perceived Social Support, Computer Self-Efficacy and Value Beliefs, and Computer Use Beyond School," Computers & Education, Vol.51, No.3, pp.1392-1404, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2008.01.003
- E. C. Klohnen and S. Luo, "Interpersonal Attraction and Personality: What is Attractive-Self Similarity, Ideal Similarity, Complementarity or Attachment Security?," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.85, No.4, p.709, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- S. T. Fiske, A. J. Cuddy, and P. Gllick, "Universal Dimensions of Social Cognition: Warmth and Competence," Trends in Cognitive Sciences, Vol.11, No.2, pp.77-83, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tics.2006.11.005
- R. Niewiadomski, V. Demeure, and C. Pelachaud, "Warmth, Competence, Believability and Virtual Agents," In International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents, pp.272-285, 2010(9).