- Volume 18 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Factors Related to Awareness and Education Regarding Relationship between Systemic Disease and Oral Health among Dental Patients
일개 치과내원 환자의 전신질환과 구강건강 간 연관성 및 관련 교육 필요성 인식에 영향을 미치는 요인
- 신보미 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치위생학과 및 구강과학연구소) ;
- 최용금 (선문대학교 건강보건대학 치위생학과 및 유전체 기반 바이오IT 융합 연구소) ;
- 배수명 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치위생학과 및 구강과학연구소) ;
- 이효진 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치위생학과 및 구강과학연구소)
- Received : 2018.07.13
- Accepted : 2018.08.14
- Published : 2018.08.28
The purpose of this study was to assess the level of awareness regarding the relationship between systemic diseases and oral health and the importance of education related to this association among dental patients, as well as to identify factors that affect the awareness of the relationship and the perceived need for education. This study was conducted from June 2016 to February 2017. Subjects of this study included outpatients (20-60 years old) from a dental clinic, and only patients who agreed to the survey were included. A total of 110 subjects were included, but the final analysis was based on 92 questionnaires, excluding questionnaires that were inaccurate. Survey questionnaires were completed by self-report and face-to-face interviews with a dental hygienist. The questionnaires covered basic information, awareness of the association between general and oral health, and experience with, and need for education related to, this association. Among the subjects, 48.9% were aware of the association between systemic diseases and oral health. A total of 39.1% of subjects had received education regarding the relationship between systemic diseases and oral health. Subjects who visited dental clinics regularly were 3.94 times (95% confidence intervals [CI]: 1.21-12.84) more likely to be aware of the association between oral health and disease compared with subjects who made only irregular visits to dental clinics. In addition, experience or education was significantly associated with awareness of the relationship between oral health and disease (odds ratio [OR]: 4.64, 95% CI: 1.54-13.93) and the need for education (OR: 3.98, 95% CI: 1.20-13.12). Thus, the dental professionals should provide education on the relationship between oral health and systemic disease in dental clinics to improve patients' awareness and oral health behaviors. These results can be used to strengthen education in the dental clinic.
- http://kostat.go.kr/portal/eng/index.action, 2018.05.20.
- http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs355/en/, 2018.05.20.
- J. Beck, K. Moss, T. Morelli, and S. Offenbacher, "Periodontal profile class is associated with prevent diabetes, coronary heart disease, stroke, and systemic markers of C-reactive protein and interleukin-6," Journal of Periodontology, Vol.89, No.2, pp.157-165, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1002/JPER.17-0426
- J. Lee, J. Oh, T. Youk, S. Jeong, Y. Kim, and S. Choi, "Association between periodontal disease and non-communicable diseases: A 12-year longitudinal health-examinee cohort study in South Korea," Medicine, Vol.96, No.26, p.e7398, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000007398
- FDI World Dental Federation, Oral health and the United Nations Political Declaration on NCDs, FDI World Dental Federation, 2012.
- C. Kim and Y. Choi, "Survey of adults' perceptions of the association between chronic diseases and oral health," Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.17, No.1, pp.12-19, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.1.12
- Y. Kim and S. Lim, "Diffusion of knowledge related to systemic disease among dental hygienists," Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.16, No.1, pp.9-17, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.1.9
- M. Becker, D. Haefner, S. Kasl, J. Kirscht, L. Maiman, and I. Rosenstock, "Selected psychosocial models and correlates of individual health-related behaviors," Medical Care, Vol.15, No.5, pp.27-46, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197705001-00005
- M. Glick and B. Greenberg, "The role of oral health care professionals in providing medical services," Journal of Dental Education, Vol.81 No.8, pp.eS180-eS185, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21815/JDE.017.025
- Y. Jung and E. Nam, "Policy development of health educator for health promotion," Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, Vol.14, No.2, pp.185-195, 1997.
- T. Dietrich, I. Webb, L. Stenhouse, A. Pattni, D. Ready, K. Wanyonyi, S. White, and J. Gallagher, "Evidence summary: the relationship between oral and cardiovascular disease," British Dental Journal, Vol.222, No.5, pp.381-385, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2017.224
- H. Kang, H. Song, J. Nam, S. Hong, S. Yang, S. Ju, S. Lee, T. Kim, H. Kim, and E. Lee, "Risk factors of asthma exacerbation based on asthma severity: a nationwide population-based observational study in South Korea," BMJ Open, Vol.8, No.3, p.e020825, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-020825
- Y. Kim, Diffusion of knowledge related to systemic disease among dental hygienists, Namseoul University, Published master's thesis, 2015.
- National Health Insurance Service, 2016 National Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook, National Health Insurance Service, 2017.
- Y. Choi, S. Do, and D. Park, "Change in number of outpatients with periodontal diseases during recent 20 years based on patient survey," Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol.35, No.3, pp.331-339, 2011.
- L. Kaufman, M. Henshaw, B. Brown, and J. Calabrese, "Oral health and interprofessional collaborative practice: examples of the team approach to geriatric care," Dental Clinics of North America, Vol.60, No.4, pp.879-890, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2016.05.007
- P. Brocklehurst and R. Macey, "Skill-mix in preventive dental practice - will it help address need in the future?," BMC Oral Health, Vol.15, Suppl.1, p.S10, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-15-S1-S10
- L. Sweeting, K. Davis, and C. Cobb, "Periodontal treatment protocol (PTP) for the general dental practice," Journal of Dental Hygiene, Vol.82, Suppl.3, pp.16-26, 2008.
- http://www.who.int/oral_health/strategies/en/, 2018.05.20.
- https://www.fdiworlddental.org/resources/brochures/accelerating-action-on-oral-health-and-ncds, 2018.05.20.
- S. Yoo, B. Shin, S. Bae, and S. Shin, "Evaluation of oral health promotion program connected with hypertension and diabetes management programs: use of a logical model," Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.16, No.4, pp.293-301, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.4.293