- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characterization of household solid waste and current status of municipal waste management in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand
- Rawat, Suman (School of Environment and Natural Resources, Doon University) ;
- Daverey, Achlesh (School of Environment and Natural Resources, Doon University)
- Received : 2017.11.11
- Accepted : 2018.03.20
- Published : 2018.09.30
The municipal solid waste (MSW) management system in one of the Class II Indian cities i.e. Rishikesh was studied and analysed to identify the key issues in solid waste management in the city. A total of 329 solid waste samples from 47 households were collected to characterize the household solid waste (HSW). The average (HSW) generation rate was 0.26 kg/c/d and it was composed of organic waste (57.3%), plastics (14%), paper (10.9%), and glass and ceramic (1.3%) and other materials (16.5%). There was an inverse relationship between household waste generation rate and family size (p < 0.05). The MSW management system practiced in Rishikesh is unsound. There is no waste segregation at source, no provisions of composting and no recycling by formal sector. The collection and transportation of waste is inadequate and inappropriate. Collected waste is dumped in open dumping site without scientific management. Following are some recommendations for developing a sustainable solid waste management system in Rishikesh city: (1) sensitize people for segregation at source; (2) promote reduction, reuse and recycling of wastes; (3) promote community based composting; (4) provision for 100% door to door collection and; (5) formalize the informal sectors such as rag pickers and recycling industries.
- Alam T, Kulkarni K. Municipal solid waste management and its energy potential in Roorkee city, Uttarakhand, India. J. Inst. Eng. India Ser. A. 2016;97:9-17.
- CPHEEO. Municipal solid waste management manual part II. 2016a.
- Mani S, Singh S. Sustainable municipal solid waste management in India: A policy agenda. Procedia Environ. Sci. 2016;35:150-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2016.07.064
- Agarwal J, Jain S. Scope of power generation from MSW of Uttarakhand State. TEJAS. 2017;2:49-54.
- Kumar H, Sah BL. Current scenario of solid waste management in Nainital town. Int. J. Manage. Soc. Sci. Res. 2015;4:15-21.
- Tewari G, Bhatt D, Junne S, Mundhe R, Parale S, Baig MMV. Municipal solid waste management in Nainital, Uttarakhand: A case study. Quest 2013;7:288-295.
- MNRE (Ministry of New and Renewable Energy). Power generation from municipal solid waste. 20th Report of Standing Committee on Energy, 2015-16.
- Sujauddin M, Huda MS, Hoque ATM. Household solid waste characteristics and management in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Waste Manage. 2008;28:1688-1695. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2007.06.013
- Gu B, Wang H, Chen Z, et al. Characterization, quantification and management of household solid waste: A case study in China. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2015;98:67-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2015.03.001
- Ojeda-Benitez S, Vega CA, Marquez-Montenegro MY. Household solid waste char-acterization by family socioeconomic profile as unit of analysis. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2008;52:992-999. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2008.03.004
- Thanh NP, Matsui Y, Fujiwara T. Household solid waste generation and characteristic in a Mekong Delta city: Vietnam. J. Environ. Manage. 2010;91:2307-2321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.06.016
- Kundu D. "Cities for All" a report on 11th Metropolis World Congress Hyderabad. 2014 (www.niua.org/sites/all/files/cites_for_all.pdf).
- CPHEEO. Municipal solid waste management manual part III. 2016b.
- Hazra T, Goel S. Solid waste management in Kolkata, India: Practices and challenges. Waste Manage. 2009;29:470-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.01.023
- Moghadam MRA, Mokhtarani N, Mokhtarani B. Municipal solid waste management in Rasht City, Iran. Waste Manage. 2009;29:485-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.02.029
- Henry RK, Yongsheng Z, Jun D. Municipal solid waste management challenges in developing countries - Kenyan case study. Waste Manage. 2006;26:92-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2005.03.007
- Guerrero LA, Maas G, Hogland W. Solid waste management challenges for cities in developing countries. Waste Manage. 2013;33:220-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2012.09.008
- Das D, Srinivasu M, Bandyopadhyay M. Solid state acidification of vegetable waste. Indian J. Environ. Health 1998;40:333-342.
- Joshi R, Ahmed S. Status and challenges of municipal solid waste management in India: A review. Cogent Environ. Sci. 2016;2:1139434.
- Qu XY, Li ZS, Xie XY, Sui YM, Yang L, Chen Y. Survey of composition and generation rate of household wastes in Beijing, China. Waste Manage. 2009;29:2618-2624. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2009.05.014
- Miezah K, Obiri-Danso K, Kadar Z, Fei-Baffoe B, Mensah MY. Municipal solid waste characterization and quantification as a measure towards effective waste management in Ghana. Waste Manage. 2015;46:15-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2015.09.009
- Philippe F, Culot M. Household solid waste generation and characteristics in Cape Haitian city: Republic of Haiti. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2009;54:73-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2009.06.009
- Dennison GJ, Dodd VA, Whelan BA. Socio-economic based survey of household waste characteristics in the city of Dublin, Ireland. I. Waste composition. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 1996;17:227-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-3449(96)01070-1
- Burnley SJ, Ellis JC, Flowerdew R, Poll AJ, Prosser H. Assessing the composition of municipal solid waste in Wales. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2007;49:264-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2006.03.015