- Volume 38 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Method for Damage Calculation Caused by Bid Rigging in Alternative Tenders for Construction Projects -Utilizing the Difference of the Design Score & Bidding Rate as Factor -
건설공사 대안입찰 담합으로 인한 손해액 산정모델 연구 - 설계점수 및 투찰률 차이 인자 활용 -
- Received : 2018.07.02
- Accepted : 2018.08.20
- Published : 2018.10.01
The purpose of this study is to propose a rational and scientific damage calculation model in relation to damages caused by bid rigging in construction projects. Previous studies and precedents in relation to calculating damages from bid rigging suggest that the main issue was the lack of consideration in standards for deciding successful bids, selection of inadequate standard comparative markets, insufficiency in analyzing the appropriateness of competitive bid price influence factors, and absence of calculation model verification. In order to improve on these issues, a damage calculation method on alternative tenders for construction projects was proposed. For this calculation model, first, a standard market adequate to the successful bid selection standards was determined, second, an appropriate factor was selected by analyzing the correlation between competitive bid price influence factors, and third, a regression analysis was conducted on the selected factor. Lastly, this was demonstrated through verification of appropriateness, significance & normality of the proposed model and application of actual bid rigging cases. Through the proposed calculation model, this study seeks to serve as a base to prevent opportunity damages for parties involved in related court cases by early resolution of disputes and relief from issues of unfair damage burdens on a particular party.
- Albertus van Niekerk (2015). "Calculating cartel follow-on damages (general considerations as well as application to south african construction sector)." Paper prepared for the First Annual Competition and Economic Regulation (Acer) Week 20 & 21 March 2015.
- Damodar, N. G. and Dawn, C. P. (Translated by Park, W. G. and Hong, S. P.) (2009). "Gujarati's econometrics." 5th Edition, Jiphil Media.
- David, R. A., Dennis, J. S. and Thomas, A. W. (Translated by Ryu, G. Y., Kim, C. G., Choi, S. E., Kim, M. J. and Lee, S. C.) (2016). Essentials of Modern Business Statistics with Microsoft Excel, 6th Edition, Hanol.
- Hong, D. P. (2008). "Economic review on the damage estimation methods." Korea Law & Economics Association, Korean journal of law and economics, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 255-273 (in Korean).
- Incheon District Court (2015). Sentence, 2010GaHap19149 Damage Suit (Gi) Decision (in Korean).
- James, A. B. and Thomas, W. R. (2006). "Estimating damages from price-fixing." Litigating Conspiracy: An Analysis of Competition Class Actions, Irwin Law, pp. 335-369.
- Jeffrey, H. H. and David, K. (1989). "Proof of damages in construction industry bid-rigging case." 34 Antitrust Bull, pp. 359-393.
- John, M. K. and Johnson, S. R. (1984). "Estimating damages on highway construction contracts." 29 The antitrust bulletin, pp. 719-738.
- Kim, B. S. (2016). 2015Gahap54730 Compensation for Damages(Gi), Economic Damage Calculation on Bid Rigging & Collusion in Relation to the TP Treatment Facility Installation for No. 1.2 Sewage Treatment Plants in Gwangju, Gwangju District Court.
- Lee, I. H. (2017). A Study on the Calculation of Damages from Public Works Bid Rigging, Seoul National University, Department of Economics.
- Lee, I. K. and Hahn, K. D. (2002). "Bid-rigging in auction for Korean public-works contract and damage estimation." Journal of Economics Research, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 275-302.
- Min, B. U. and Park, H. K. (2017). "A study on the improvement method on calculating the damages caused by the bid rigging in the construction work." Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 1053-1061 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.12652/KSCE.2017.37.6.1053
- Park, J. P. (2015). Assessing of damages caused by the bid collusion based on Seoul Metro 7th Line construction project, Master of Graduate School of Engineering Hanyang University (in Korean).
- Paul Teetor (Translated by Lee, J. W.) (2012). R Cookbook, Proven Recipes for Data Analysis, Statistics, and Graphics, Insight.
- Ryu, K. K. and Oh, S. A. (2010). "Antitrust damage estimation in multiple bid-rigging cases." Korea Association of Applied Econonics, Korea Review of Applied Economics, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 87-112.
- Seoul Central District Court (2007). Sentence, 2001GaHap 10682 Damage Suit (Gi) Decision (in Korean).
- Seoul Central District Court (2014). Sentence, 2011GaHap 26204 Damage Suit (Gi) Decision (in Korean).
- Seoul High Court (2016). Sentence, 2015Na10143 Damage Suit (Gi) Decision (in Korean).
- Srabana, G. (2001). "The effect of bid rigging on prices: A study of the highway construction industry." Review of Industrial Organization, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 453-467.
- The Supreme Court (2011). Sentence, 2010Da18850 Damage Suit (Gi) Decision (in Korean).
- The Supreme Court (2012). Sentence, 2010Da93790 Damage Suit (Gi) Decision (in Korean).