- Volume 45 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Lactobacillus, Medicinal Plants Extract, Herb Extract on the Laying Performance, Cecal Microflora, Relative Organs Weight, Leucocyte Profiles in Laying Hens against Salmonella gallinarum
Salmonella gallinarum에 대한 Lactobacillus, Medicinal Plants Extract, Essential Oil 급여가 산란계의 생산성, 맹장 내 미생물 균총, 조직중량 및 백혈구 조성에 미치는 영향
- Kang, Hwan Ku (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Seong Bok (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Hyun Soo (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Jeon, Jin Joo (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Ki-Tae (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Chan Ho (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Hong, Eui Chul (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Sang Ho (Poultry Research Institute, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration)
- 강환구 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소) ;
- 박성복 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소) ;
- 김현수 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소) ;
- 전진주 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소) ;
- 박기태 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소) ;
- 김찬호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소) ;
- 홍의철 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소) ;
- 김상호 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원 가금연구소)
- Received : 2018.07.10
- Accepted : 2018.08.28
- Published : 2018.09.30
The study was conducted to investigate the effect of dietary supplementation of Lactobacillus, medicinal plants extract, and essential oil on laying performance, cecal microflora, relative organic weight, leucocyte profiles in laying hens against Salmonella gallinarum. A total of 100 Hy-Line Brown laying hens of 65 weeks of age were assigned into 5 dietary treatments supplemented with no antibiotic (negative control), antibiotic (positive control), Lactobacillus 0.1% (LB), medicinal plants extract 100 ppm (MPE), herb extract 100 ppm (EO). After 7 days of treatment, the 20 hens in each treatment group were divided into challenge group (n=10) and non-challenge group (n=10) for oral administration of Salmonella gallinarums, and were maintained in the same dietary treatments for two additional weeks. Laying hens were selected 20 by each treatment, splitting up into oral Salmonella group and nontreated group. The feeding trial lasted for one weeks and Salmonella gallinarum was orally administered for two weeks. Egg production, egg weight, egg mass, and feed conversion ratio were calculated and cecal microflora, relative organ, and blood were collected at the end of experiment. Compared with the control, laying hens fed Lactobacillus, medical plant extract, and essential oil were not observed to change of laying performance. Salmonella count increased significantly when Salmonella gallinarum was orally administered (P<0.05) but coliform bacteria and Lactobacillus counts were not affected. The relative organs weight was not different in hens with oral administration of Salmonella gallinarum and also in hens fed Lactobacillus, medical plant extract, and essential oil. H/L ratio was not significantly different, but total leucocyte level was somewhat increased in the treatment with oral administration of Salmonella gallinarum and more leucocyte increased in laying hens fed Lactobacillus, medical plant extract, and essential oil than control.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Adams RP 2001 Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/quadrupole Mass Spectroscopy. Academic Press, New York.
- AOAC 1995 Official Method of Analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Berge AC, Wierup M 2012 Nutritional strategies to combat Salmonella in mono-gastric food animal production. Animal 6(4):557-564. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731111002217
- Bongaerts G, Severijne R, Timmerman H 2005 Effect of antibiotics, prebiotics and probiotics in treatment for hepatic encephalopathy. Med Hypotheses 64(1):64-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2004.07.029
- Bracco U, Loliger J, Viret JL 1981 Production and use of natural antioxidants. J Am Oil Chem Soc 58(6):686-690. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02899449
- Cabuk M, Bozkurt M, Alcicek A, Catli AU, Baser KHC 2006 Effect of a dietary essential oil mixture on performance of laying hens in the summer season. S Afr J Anim Sci 36(4):215-221.
- Cetin N, Güçlü BK, Cetin E 2005 The effects of probiotic and mannanoligosaccharide on some haematological and immunological parameters in turkeys. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 52:263-267. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.2005.00736.x
- Cowan MM 1999 Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin Microbiol Rev 12(4):564-582. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.12.4.564
- Deng W, Dong XF, Tong JM, Zhang Q 2012 The probiotic Bacillus licheniformis ameliorates heat stress-induced impairment of egg production, gut morphology, and intestinal mucosal immunity in laying hens. Poult Sci 91(3):575-582. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-01293
- Duncan DB 1955 Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 11(1):1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Dunham HJ, William C, Edens FW, Casas IA, Dobrogosz WJ 1993 Lactobacillus reuteri immunomodulation of stressor-associated disease in newly hatched chickens and turkeys. Poult Sci 72(Suppl 1):103(abstract).
- Eijk Corn van der 2002 Acidifiers and AGP's compared. Feed Mix 10(6):34-36.
- Fuller R 1973 Ecological studies on the Lactobacillus flora associated with the crop epithelium of the fowl. J Appl Bacteriol 36(1):131-139. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1973.tb04080.x
- Fuller R 1989 Probiotics in man and animals. J Appl Bacteriol 66:365-378. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1989.tb05105.x
- Gibson GR, Fuller R 2000 Aspects of in vitro and in vivo research approaches directed toward identifying probiotics and prebiotics for human use. J Nutr 130(2):391-395. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.2.391S
- Haddadin MS, Abdulrahim SM, Hashlamoun EA, Robinson RK 1996 The effect of Lactobacillus acidophilus on the production and chemical composition of hen's eggs. Poult Sci 75(4):491-494. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0750491
- Hong SJ, Namkung H, Paik IK 2001 Effects of herbal products (Miracle20) on the performance, nutrient digestibility, small intestinal microflora and immune response in broiler chickens. J Anim Sci Technol 43(5):671-680.
- Jo CR, Jang AR, Jung S, Choe JH, Kim BN, Lee KH 2009 Effect of dietary herb extract mix on anti-oxidative activity of chicken thigh meat. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38(3):302-308. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.302
- Hernandez F, Madrid J, Garcia V, Orengo J, Megias MD 2004 Influence of two plant extracts on broilers performance, digestibility, and organ size. Poult Sci 83(2):169-174. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.2.169
- Ma D, Shan A, Chen Z, Du J, Song K, Li J, Xu Q 2005 Effect of Ligustrum lucidum and Schisandra chinensis on the egg production, antioxidant status and immunity of laying hens during heat stress. Arch Anim Nutr 59(6):439-447. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390500353499
- Ma D, Liu Y, Liu S, Li Q, Shan A 2007 Influence of Ligustrum lucidum and Schisandra chinensis fruits on antioxidative metabolism and immunological parameters of layer chicks. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 20(9):1438-1443. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1438
- Min BJ, Lee WB, Kwon OS, Son KS, Hong JW, Cho JH, Kim IH 2004 The effects of herbal plant mixture supplementation on the performance of laying hens under heat stress. Korean J Poult Sci 31(1):9-15.
- Mohan B, Kadirvel R, Natarajan A, Bhaskaran M 1996 Effect of probiotic supplementation on growth nitrogen utilization and serum cholesterol in broilers. Br Poult Sci 37(2):395-401. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669608417870
- Murate LS, Fernanda GP, de Almeida AM, Berchieri A Jr, Shimokomaki M 2015 Effcacy of prebiotics, probiotics and synbiotics on laying hens and broiler challenged with Salmonella Enteritidis. J Poult Sci 52(1):52-56. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.0130211
- Nahashon SN, Nakaue HS, Mirosh LW 1993 Effect of direct-fed microbials on nutritient retention and production parameters of Single Comb White Leghorn pullets. Poultry Science 72(Suppl.2):87.
- NRC 1994 Nutrient Requirement of Poultry. National Research Council National Academy of Science, Washington DC.
- Park JH, Kim IH 2015 The effects of the supplementation of Bacillus subtilis RX7 and B2A probiotics on the performance, blood profile, intestinal Salmonella microflora, noxious gas emission, organ weight, and breast meat quality of broiler challenged with Salmonella typhimurium. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 99(2):326-334. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12248
- Pirgozliev V, Oduguwa O, Acamovic T, Bedford MR 2007 Effect of diets containing Esherichia coli-derived phytase to young chickens and turkeys: Effects on performance, metabolisable energy, endogenous secretions and intestinal morphology. Poult Sci 86(4):705-713.
- Smith MW 1985 Expression of digestive and absorptive function in differentiating enterocytes. Ann Rev Physiol 47:247-260. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ph.47.030185.001335
- Trevisanato SI, Kim YI 2000. Tea and health. Nutr Review 58(1):1-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2000.tb01818.x
- Wang RJ, Li DF, Bourne S 1998 Can 2000 years of herbal medicine history help us solve problems in the year Biotechnology in the Feed Industry. pages 273-291 In: Proceedings of Alltech's 14th Annual Symposium.
- Wang SB, Wen J, Chen JL, Zhao GP 2004 Effect of different storage condition on the flavor of muscle in Beijing fatty chicken. China Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Medicine 31:21-24.
- Watkins BA, Miller BF, Neil DH 1982 In Vivo Inhibitory Effects of Lactobacillus acidophilus against Pathogenic Escherichia coli in Gnotobiotic Chicks Poult Sci 61(7):1298-1308. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0611298
- Watkins BA, Kratzer FH 1983 Effect of oral dosing of Lactobacillus strains on gut colonization and liver biotin in broiler chicks. Poult Sci 62(10):2088-2094. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0622088
- Wenk C 2002 Herbs and botanicals as feed additives in monogastric animals. Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 16(2):282-289. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.282
- Yang CS, Landau JM 2002 Effects of tea consumption on nutrition and health. J Nutr 130(10):2127-2130.