- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Comprehensive Model for Wind Power Forecast Error and its Application in Economic Analysis of Energy Storage Systems
- Huang, Yu (School of Electrical Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Xu, Qingshan (School of Electrical Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Jiang, Xianqiang (School of Electrical Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Zhang, Tong (Electric Power Research Institute of State Grid Jiangsu Electric Power Company) ;
- Liu, Jiankun (Electric Power Research Institute of State Grid Jiangsu Electric Power Company)
- Received : 2017.08.04
- Accepted : 2018.06.19
- Published : 2018.11.01
The unavoidable forecast error of wind power is one of the biggest obstacles for wind farms to participate in day-ahead electricity market. To mitigate the deviation from forecast, installation of energy storage system (ESS) is considered. An accurate model of wind power forecast error is fundamental for ESS sizing. However, previous study shows that the error distribution has variable kurtosis and fat tails, and insufficient measurement data of wind farms would add to the difficulty of modeling. This paper presents a comprehensive way that makes the use of mixed skewness model (MSM) and copula theory to give a better approximation for the distribution of forecast error, and it remains valid even if the dataset is not so well documented. The model is then used to optimize the ESS power and capacity aiming to pay the minimal extra cost. Results show the effectiveness of the new model for finding the optimal size of ESS and increasing the economic benefit.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Central Universities
- Hossain M J, Pota H R, Mahmud M A, et al. "Investigation of the impacts of large-scale wind power penetration on the angle and voltage stability of power systems," IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 76-84, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSYST.2011.2162991
- Nielsen T S, Joensen A, Madsen H, et al. "A new reference for wind power forecasting," Wind energy, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29-34, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1824(199809)1:1<29::AID-WE10>3.0.CO;2-B
- Xu Q, He D, Zhang N, et al. "A Short-Term Wind Power Forecasting Approach With Adjustment of Numerical Weather Prediction Input by Data Mining," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1283-1291, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2015.2429586
- T. Ackermann. "Wind power in power systems", UK: John Wiley, 2005.
- Bludszuweit H, Dominguez-Navarro J A, Llombart A. "Statistical analysis of wind power forecast error," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 983-991, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.922526
- Atwa Y M, El-Saadany E F. "Optimal allocation of ESS in distribution systems with a high penetration of wind energy," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1815-1822, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2045663
- Aalami H A, Nojavan S. "Energy storage system and demand response program effects on stochastic energy procurement of large consumers considering renewable generation," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 107-114, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0473
- Baziar A, Kavousi-Fard A. "Considering uncertainty in the optimal energy management of renewable micro-grids including storage devices," Renewable Energy, vol. 59, pp. 158-166, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.03.026
- Lee, T. Y. "Optimal spinning reserve for a windthermal power system using EIPSO," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1612-1621, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.907519
- Pascual J, Barricarte J, Sanchis P, et al. "Energy management strategy for a renewable-based residential microgrid with generation and demand forecasting," Applied Energy, vol. 158, pp. 12-25, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.08.040
- Bludszuweit H, Dominguez-Navarro J A. "A probabilistic method for energy storage sizing based on wind power forecast uncertainty," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1651-1658, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2089541
- Elliott G, Timmermann A. "Optimal forecast combinations under general loss functions and forecast error distributions," Journal of Econometrics, 2004, 122(1): 47-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2003.10.019
- Chen N, Qian Z, Nabney I T, et al. "Wind power forecasts using Gaussian processes and numerical weather prediction," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 656-665, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2282366
- Taylor J W, McSharry P E, Buizza R. "Wind power density forecasting using ensemble predictions and time series models," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 775-782. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2025431
- Tewari S, Geyer C J, Mohan N. "A statistical model for wind power forecast error and its application to the estimation of penalties in liberalized markets," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 2031-2039, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2141159
- Hodge B M, Milligan M. "Wind power forecasting error distributions over multiple timescales," Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2011 IEEE, pp. 1-8, 2011.
- Soman S S, Zareipour H, Malik O, et al. "A review of wind power and wind speed forecasting methods with different time horizons", North American Power Symposium (NAPS), 2010 IEEE, pp. 1-8, 2010.
- Gomez-Lazaro E, Bueso M C, Kessler M, et al. "Probability density function characterization for aggregated large-scale wind power based on Weibull mixtures," Energies, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 2016, 9(2): 91. https://doi.org/10.3390/en9020091
- Fabbri A, Roman T G S, Abbad J R, et al. "Assessment of the cost associated with wind generation prediction errors in a liberalized electricity market," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 1440-1446, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.852148
- Lange M. "On the uncertainty of wind power predictions - Analysis of the forecast accuracy and statistical distribution of errors," Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 177-184, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1862266
- Wu J, Zhang B, Li H, et al. "Statistical distribution for wind power forecast error and its application to determine optimal size of energy storage system," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 55, pp. 100-107, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.09.003
- Wu J, Zhang B, Deng W, et al. "Application of costcvar model in determining optimal spinning reserve for wind power penetrated system," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 66, pp. 110-115, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.10.051
- Liu G, Tomsovic K. "Quantifying spinning reserve in systems with significant wind power penetration," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2385-2393, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2207465
- Awad A S A, El-Fouly T H M, Salama M. "Optimal ESS allocation and load shedding for improving distribution system reliability," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 2339-2349, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2316197
- Vilim M, Botterud A. "Wind power bidding in electricity markets with high wind penetration," Applied Energy, vol. 118, pp. 141-155, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.11.055
- Zhang Z S, Sun Y Z, Gao D W, et al. "A versatile probability distribution model for wind power forecast errors and its Gauapplication in economic dispatch," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 3114-3125, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2249596
- Vila J P, Schniter P. "Expectation-maximization Gaussian-mixture approximate message passing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 61, no. 19, pp. 4658-4672, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSP.2013.2272287
- Yang X. "A higher-order Levenberg-Marquardt method for nonlinear equations," Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 219, no. 22, pp. 10682-10694, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2013.04.033
- Kurowicka D. "Dependence modeling: vine copula handbook," World Scientific, 2011.
- Sklar M. "Fonctions de repartition a n dimensions et leurs marges," Publ. Inst. Statist. vol. 8, pp. 229-231, 1959.
- Zakeri B, Syri S. "Electrical energy storage systems: A comparative life cycle cost analysis," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 42, pp. 569-596, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.10.011