- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of Protection Method for Power System interconnected with Distributed Generation using Distance Relay
- Kim, Ji-Soo (College of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Cho, Gyu-Jung (College of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Song, Jin-Sol (College of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Shin, Jae-Yun (College of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Hyun (College of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Chul-Hwan (College of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2018.06.14
- Accepted : 2018.06.27
- Published : 2018.11.01
The conventional power system allowed only downstream power flow. Therefore, even if a fault occurs, only the forward current flow is considered. However, with the interest in distributed generation (DG), DGs such as Photovoltaic (PV), Wind Turbine (WT) are being connected to a power system. DGs have many advantages, but they also have disadvantage such as generation of reverse flow. Reverse flow can severely disrupt existing protection systems that only consider downstream power flow. The major problems that may arise from reverse power flow are blinding protection and sympathetic tripping. In order to solve such problems, the methods of installing a directional relay or a fault current limiter is proposed. However, this method is inconceivable because of the economics shortage. Therefore, in this paper, a distance relay installed in existing power system is used to solve the protection problem. Modeling of distance relay has been carried out using ElectroMagnetic Transients Program (EMTP), and it has been verified through simulations that the above problems can be solved by a distance relay.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Hadi Khani, Nader El-Taweel and Hany E.Z. Farag, "Real-time optimal management of reverse power flow in integrated power and gas distribution grids under large renewable power penetration," IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol.12, no. 10, pp. 2325-2331, May. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2017.1513
- Kallisthenis I. Sgouras, Aggelos S. Bouhouras, Paschalis A. Gkaidatzis, Dimitrios I. Doukas and Dimitris P. Labridis, "Impact of reverse power flow on the optimal distributed generation placement problem," IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 11, no. 18, pp. 4626-4632, Dec. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2016.1791
- Bishnu P. Bhattarai, Birgtte Bak-Jensen, Sanjay Chaudhary and Jayakrishnan R. Pillai, "An adaptive overcurrent protection in smart distribution grid," in Proceedings of IEEE PowerTech 2015 Conference, Eindhoven, Netherlands, June 2015.
- Niraj Kumar Choudhary, Soumya Ranjan Mohanty and Ravindra Kumar Singh, "Protection coordination of over current relays in distribution system with DG and superconducting fault current limiter," in Proceedings of 2014 Eighteenth National Power Systems Conference, Guwahati, India, May 2015.
- Jakub Ehrenberger and Jan Svec, "Directional overcurrent relays coordination problems in distributed generation systems," Energies, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1-17, Oct. 2017.
- Sadegh Vejdan, Majid Sanaye-Pasand and Tarlochan S. Sidhu, "Accelerated zone II operation of distance relay using impedance change directions," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 2462-2471, Dec. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2016.2638544
- Indrajeet Bhavar, Snehal Unde and Sanjay Dambhare, "Adaptive distance relaying scheme with fault resistance compensation," in Proceedings of IEEE Region 10 Coneference, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore, Nov 2016.
- G. J. Cho, K. S. Ryu, H. D. Lee, S. H. Heo, H. D. Kim, C. H. Kim and S. I. Kwon, "A study on the distance relay operation characteristics for Korean single track AC electrical railway system," in Proceedings of Development in Power System Protection 2016, Edinburgh, UK, Mar 2016.
- Edward Coster, Johanna Myrzik and Wil Kling, "Effect of DG on distribution grid protection," INTECH Open Access Publisher, Feb. 2010.