- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Analysis on the Adequate Level of Capacity Price from a Long-Term Generation Expansion Planning Perspective: the Case of Korea
- Kim, Hyoungtae (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Sungwoo (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Tae Hyun (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Shin, Hansol (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Wook (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2018.04.30
- Accepted : 2018.09.17
- Published : 2018.11.01
Capacity payment mechanism has been adopted as the incentive scheme to achieve resource adequacy in Korean electricity market, however, the level of capacity price has been controversial due to its insufficient extent to incur financial loss for certain generators. Therefore, a new method is proposed to estimate the proper level of capacity price incorporating profitability of market participants and resource adequacy in this paper. The proposed method is successfully applied to test system based on Korean power system.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- A.J. Conejo, L. Baringo Morales, S.J. Kazempour, and A. S. Siddiqui, Investment in Electricity Generation and Transmission, no. May. Cham: Springer Inter-national Publishing, 2016.
- S. K. Kim, J. H. Park, H. C. Lee, G. P. Park, S. S. Lee, W. Kim, and Y. T. Yoon, "Comparison between centralized planning model and market oriented planning model for the generation expansion plan," IEEE PES Gen. Meet. PES 2010, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- F. P. (Fereidoon P. Sioshansi, Competitive electricity markets: design, implementation, performance. Elsevier, 2008.
- G. Doorman, J. Barquin, L. Barroso, C. Batlle, A. Cruickshank, C. Dervieux, R. Flanagan, J. Gilmore, J. Greenhalg, H. Hoschle, P. Mastropietro, A. Keech, M. Krupa, J. Riesz, B. LaRose, S. Schwenen, G. Thorpe, K. De Vos, L. de Vries, and J. Wright, Capacity mechanisms: needs, solutions and state of affairs. CIGRE, 2016.
- K. Neuhoff, J. Diekmann, F. Kunz, S. Ruster, W. P. Schill, and S. Schwenen, "A coordinated strategic reserve to safeguard the European energy transition," Util. Policy, vol. 41, pp. 252-263, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jup.2016.02.002
- P. C. Bhagwat, J. C. Richstein, E. J. L. Chappin, and L. J. de Vries, "The effectiveness of a strategic reserve in the presence of a high portfolio share of renewable energy sources," Util. Policy, vol. 39, pp. 13-28, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jup.2016.01.006
- P. Cramton and S. Stoft, "A Capacity Market that Makes Sense," Electr. J., vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 43-54, Aug. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tej.2005.07.003
- C. Byers, T. Levin, and A. Botterud, "Capacity market design and renewable energy: Performance incentives, qualifying capacity, and demand curves," Electr. J., vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 65-74, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tej.2018.01.006
- C. Batlle, C. Vazquez, M. Rivier, and I. J. Perez-Arriaga, "Enhancing power supply adequacy in Spain: Migrating from capacity payments to reliability options," Energy Policy, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 4545-4554, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2007.04.002
- M. Hasani and S. H. Hosseini, "Dynamic assessment of capacity investment in electricity market considering complementary capacity mechanisms," Energy, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 277-293, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2010.10.041
- H. Kim and S.-S. Kim, "The resource adequacy scheme in the Korean electricity market," Energy Policy, vol. 47, pp. 133-144, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2012.04.035
- H. Kim and S.-S. Kim, "The optimal fuel mix and redistribution of social surplus in the Korean power market," Energy Policy, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 7929-7938, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2010.08.047
- A. Al-Sunaidy and R. Green, "Electricity deregulation in OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) countries," Energy, vol. 31, no. 6-7, pp. 769-787, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2005.02.017
- Korea Power Exchange, "Capacity Payments Redesign and the Introduction of a Capacity Market in the Korean Electricity Market," 2014.
- D. S. Kirschen and G. Strbac, Fundamentals of power system economics. 2004.
- M. J. Leppitsch and B. F. Hobbs, "The effect of NOx regulations on emissions dispatch: a probabilistic production costing analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1711-1717, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.544632
- R. R. Booth, "Power System Simulation Model Based on Probability Analysis," IEEE Trans. Power Appar. Syst., vol. PAS-91, no. 1, pp. 62-69, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1972.293291
- K. Campbell, F. Murphy, and A. Soyster, "Estimating operational costs in an electric utility," Omega, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 373-382, Jan. 1982. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0483(82)90016-0
- W. Kim, D. Chattopadhyay, and J. bae Park, "Impact of carbon cost on wholesale electricity price: A note on price pass-through issues," Energy, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 3441-3448, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2010.04.037
- S. C. Bhattacharyya, Energy Economics. London: Springer London, 2011.
- R. Bellman, Dynamic programming. Dover Publications, 2003.
- Korea Power Exchance, "The 7th Basic Plan for Long-Term Electricity Supply-Demand," 2015.
- H. Kim, S. Lee, and W. Kim, "Impact of Maintenance Outage Rate Modeling on the Minimum Reserve Rate in Long-term Generation Expansion Planning," Trans. Korean Inst. Electr. Eng., vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 1712-1720, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2017.66.12.1712