- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of ESS Scheduling Algorithm to Maximize the Potential Profitability of PV Generation Supplier in South Korea
- Kong, Junhyuk (Dept. of Energy Systems Research, Ajou University) ;
- Jufri, Fauzan Hanif (Dept. of Energy Systems Research, Ajou University) ;
- Kang, Byung O (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Jung, Jaesung (Dept. of Energy Systems Research, Ajou University)
- Received : 2018.04.30
- Accepted : 2018.08.29
- Published : 2018.11.01
Under the current policies and compensation rules in South Korea, Photovoltaic (PV) generation supplier can maximize the profit by combining PV generation with Energy Storage System (ESS). However, the existing operational strategy of ESS is not able to maximize the profit due to the limitation of ESS capacity. In this paper, new ESS scheduling algorithm is introduced by utilizing the System Marginal Price (SMP) and PV generation forecasting to maximize the profits of PV generation supplier. The proposed algorithm determines the charging time of ESS by ranking the charging schedule from low to high SMP when PV generation is more than enough to charge ESS. The discharging time of ESS is determined by ranking the discharging schedule from high to low SMP when ESS energy is not enough to maintain the discharging. To compensate forecasting error, the algorithm is updated every hour to apply the up-to-date information. The simulation is performed to verify the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm by using actual PV generation and ESS information.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- W. A. Qureshi, N. K. C. Nair, and M. M. Farid, "Impact of energy storage in buildings on electricity demand side management," Energy Convers. Manag., vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 2110-2120, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.12.008
- D. Parra, M. Gillott, S. A. Norman, and G. S. Walker, "Optimum community energy storage system for PV energy time-shift," Appl. Energy, vol. 137, no. September 2013, pp. 576-587, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.08.060
- M. Beaudin, H. Zareipour, A. Schellenberglabe, and W. Rosehart, "Energy storage for mitigating the variability of renewable electricity sources: An updated review 10.1016/j.esd.2010.09.007 : Energy for Sustainable Development ScienceDirect.com," Energy Sustain. Dev., vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 302-314, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2010.09.007
- H. T. Le, "Sizing Energy Storage Systems for Wind Power Firming : An Analytical Approach and a Cost-Benefit Analysis," Power Energy Soc. Gen. Meet., no. ii, pp. 1-8, 2008.
- Y. L. S. K. S. Han, "A Study on the Energy Saving Capacity of Solar Power Generation System using Economic Evaluation," Trans. Korean Inst. Electr. Eng., vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 21-26, 2018.
- G. Choi, S. Y. Huh, E. Heo, and C. Y. Lee, "Prices versus quantities: Comparing economic efficiency of feed-in tariff and renewable portfolio standard in promoting renewable electricity generation," Energy Policy, vol. 113, no. October 2017, pp. 239-248, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2017.11.008
- KPX, "SMP," KPX, 2018. [Online]. Available: https://www.kpx.or.kr/www/contents.do?key=225. [Accessed: 15-Apr-2018].
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), IRENA (2018), Renewable capacity statistics 2018. 2018.
- C. Hayan, "South Korean government releases draft of plans to increase renewable energy use," thehankyoreh, 2017. [Online]. Available: http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/825098.html. [Accessed: 29-Jan-2018]