- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Evaluation Algorithms for Multiple Function of Dispersed Electrical Energy Storage Systems
- Son, Joon-ho (ESS Sales/Engineering Team, LG Electronics) ;
- Choi, Sung-Sik (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Rho, Dae-Seok (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2018.07.06
- Accepted : 2018.09.12
- Published : 2018.11.01
With the increase of electrical consumption and the unbalance of power demand and supply, power reserve rate is getting smaller and also the reliability of the power supply is getting deteriorated. Under this circumstance, the electrical energy storage (EES) System is considered as one of essential countermeasure for demand side management. This paper proposes efficient evaluation algorithms of multiple functions for EES systems, especially the secondary battery energy storage systems, in the case where they are interconnected with the power distribution systems. It is important to perform the economic evaluation for the new energy storage systems in a quantitative manner, because they are very costly right now. In this paper, the multiple functions of EES systems such as load levelling, effective utilization of power distribution systems and uninterruptible power supply are classified, and then the quantitative evaluation methods for their functions are proposed. From the case studies, it is verified that EES systems installed at distribution systems in a dispersed manner have multiple functions involved with direct and indirect benefits and also they can be expected to introduce to distribution systems with respects to economical point of view.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- IEC White Paper, "Electrical Energy Storage," December 2011.
- IEC White Paper, "Grid Integration of large-capacity Renewable Energy sources and use of large-capacity Electrical Energy Storage," October 2012.
- K. C. Divya, Jacob Ostergaard, "Battery energy storage technology for power systems-An overview," Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 79, no. 4, April 2009.
- Jim Eyer, Garth Corey, "Energy Storage for the Electricity Grid: Benefits and Market Potential Assessment Guide," SANDIA REPORT, February 2010.
- "Integrating Smart Distributed Energy Resources with Distribution Management Systems," EPRI, September 2012.
- IEEE 1547.6 "IEEE Standard conformance Test Procedures for Equipment Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power System," June, (2009).
- A. J. Wood and B. F. Wollenberg, "Power Generation, Operation and Control," John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Vasilije P. Lulcic, "Optimal Operation Policy for Energy Stoage," IEEE Trans. PAS-101, no. 9, (1992) .
- N. Levin and J. Zahavi, "Optimal Mix Algorithm with Existing Unit," IEEE Trans. PAS-103, no. 5, (1994).
- KV Kishan Veerashekar, "Frequency Regulation in Transmission Grids Using Virtually Interconnected Battery Storage systems," 023, Dublin 2017 Symposium, CIGRE, 2017.6.
- Daeseok Rho, "Estimation Method of Green House Gas Reduction for EES systems Based on Use-case," 146, Dublin 2017 Symposium, CIGRE, 2017.6.
- Daeseok Rho, "Estimation Technique of Green House Gas Reduction for Load Levelling Application in EES systems," Proceedings of Annual Conference, IEEJ, Kyushu, Japan, 2018.3.
- James J. Burke, "Power Distribution Engineering," Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp. 320-348, 2011
- Patrik Hilber, "Maintenance Optimization for Power Distribution Systems," Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 2008.
- Math H.J. Bollen, "Understanding Power Quality Problem," IEEE Press, 2013.
- EPRI, "Integrating Distributed Energy Resources with Distribution managements Systems," September 2012.
- Byungki Kim, Giyoung Kim, Jukwang Lee, Sungsik Choi and Daeseok Rho, "A Study on the Modeling of Step Voltage Regulator and Energy Storage System in Distribution System Using the PSCAD/EMTDC," Journal of the Korea Academic-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 1355-1363, 2015.3. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1355
- Daeseok Rho, "Optimal Algorithms for Voltage Management in Distribution Systems Interconnected with New Dispersed Sources," IEEE T&D Asia 2009, Article