- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Stability Improvement of Battery Energy Storage System considering Synchronous Inductance Effect of Diesel Generator
- Jo, Jongmin (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- An, Hyunsung (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Chun, Kwan-Ho (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.04.05
- Accepted : 2018.05.14
- Published : 2018.11.01
This paper analyzes stability of current control in respect of four cases of battery energy storage system (BESS) in a stand-alone microgrid. The stand-alone microgrid is composed of BESS, diesel generator and controllable loads, where all of them have a rated power of 50kW. The four cases are considered as following: 1) BESS with a stiff grid 2) BESS with the diesel generator 3) BESS with passive damping + diesel generator 4) BESS with active damping + diesel generator, and their stabilities are analyzed in the frequency domain and discrete time domain. The comparative analysis for four cases are verified through simulation and experiments through demonstration site of the stand-alone microgrid, where the DC link is connected to a 115kW battery bank composed of 48 lead-acid batteries (400AH/12V). Experimental results show a good agreement with the analysis.
Supported by : Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO)
- P. Bauer, L. E. Weldemariam, and E. Raijen, "Standalone Microgrids," 2011 IEEE 33rd Int. Telecommun. Energy Conf. (INTELEC), pp. 1-10, Oct. 2011.
- R. J. Wai, C. Y. Lin, Y. C. Huang, and Y. R. Chang, "Design of High-Performance Stand-Alone and Grid-Connected Inverter for Distributed Generation Applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1542-1555, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2216232
- J. Sachs and O. Sawodny, "A Two-stage Model Predictive Control Strategy for Economic Diesel-PV-Battery Island Microgrid Operation in Rural Areas," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 903-913, Jul. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2015.2509031
- J. Philip, B. Singh and S. Mishra, "Design and operation for a standalone DG-SPV-BES microgrid system," Power India International Conference (PIICON), 2014 6th IEEE, pp. 1-6, 5-7 Dec. 2014.
- M. Liserre, F. Blaabjerg, and S. Hansen, "Design and Control of an LCL-Filter-Based Three-Phase Active Rectifier," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1281-1291, Sep/Oct. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.853373
- I. Chtouki, M. Zazi, M. Feddi, and M. Rayyam, "LCL Filter with Passive Damping for PV System Connected to the Network," in IEEE Proc. IRSEC, Marrakech, Nov. 14-17, 2016.
- H. Cha and T. K. Vu, "Comparative analysis of lowpass output filter for single-phase grid-connected photovoltaic inverter," in Proc. IEEE APEC, Palm Springs, CA, Feb. 21-25, 2010, pp. 1659-1665.
- J. Dannehl, F.W. Fuchs, S. Hansen, and P.B. Thogersen, "Investigation of Active Damping Approaches for PIBased Current Control of Grid-Connected Pulse Width Modulation Converter With LCL Filters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 46, no. 4, July-Aug. 2010.
- X. Li, X. Wu, Y. Geng, X. Yuan, C. Xia, and X. Zhang, "Wide Damping Region for LCL-Type Grid-Connected Inverter With an Improved Capacitor-Current-Feedback Method," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 5247-5259, Sep. 2015 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2364897
- D. Pan, X. Ruan, C. Bao, W. Li, and X. Wang, "Optimized Controller Design for LCL-Type Grid-Connected Inverter to Achieve High Robustness Against Grid-Impedance Variation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 1537-1547, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2341584