- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Correction of Through-bolt End-region Overheating and Breakdown Failure in a Large Tubular Hydro-generator
- Zhou, Zhi-ting (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University) ;
- Fan, Zhen-nan (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University) ;
- Li, Jian-fu (Dong Fang Electrical Machinery Co., Ltd.) ;
- Wen, Kun (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University) ;
- Zhang, Bide (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University) ;
- Wang, Tao (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University) ;
- Xia, Yan-kun (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University) ;
- Sun, Zhang (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University) ;
- Yao, Bing (The Key Laboratory of Fluid and Power Machinery, Ministry of Education, Xihua University)
- Received : 2018.01.01
- Accepted : 2018.06.23
- Published : 2018.11.01
A field-circuit coupling model of a typical faulty generator is established to correct through-bolt end-region overheating and breakdown failure in a tubular hydro-generator. Using the model, eddy current loss and electromagnetic forces on through bolts under normal and failure conditions are analyzed and compared and the natural frequency of a through bolt is determined. Based on the analysis results, the causative mechanism of failure is revealed and targeted improvement design measures are proposed. The numerical results are found to be consistent with the actual fault characteristics, validating the design measure improvements. The results are useful in improving the design and manufacturing standards and enhancing the operational reliability of large tubular hydro-generators.
Supported by : National natural sciences fund youth fund of China, Xihua University, Si chuan Provincial Education Department, Education Department of China, Sichuan Provincial Department of Science and Technology, Chengdu science and Technology Bureau, Chongqing Municipal Education Commission
- Knight, A.M., Karmaker, H., and Weeber, K., "Prediction of damper winding currents and force harmonic components in large synchronous machines," Proc. 15th ICEM, Brugge, West Flanders, Belgium, 2002, vol. 35.
- Knight, AM., Karmaker, H., and Weeber, K., "Use of a permeance model to predict force harmonic components and damper winding effects in salient pole synchronous machines," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion., 2002, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 478-484. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.805227
- Traxler-Samek, G., Lugand, S., and Schwery, A.: "Add loss in the damper winding of large hydrogenerator at open-circuit and load conditions," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics., 2010, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 154-160. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2026773
- Keller, S., Xuan, M. T., Simond, J. J., and Chewry, A., "Large low-speed hydro-generator-unbalanced magnetic pulls and additional damper losses in eccentricity conditions," IET Electr. Power Appl., 2007, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 657-664.
- Keller, S., Xuan, N.T., and Simond, J.J., "Computation of the no-load voltage waveform of laminated salient-pole synchronous generators," IEEE Trans. on Industry Appl., 2006, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 681-687. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2006.873663
- Kim, C.E., and Skyulski, J.K., "Harmonic analysis of output voltage in synchronous generator using finite element method taking account of the movement," IEEE Trans on Magnetics., 2002, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 1249-1252. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.996319
- SWang, S., Wang, X., Wang, Y., Li, P., Su, W., Ma, and Zhang, G., "Steady-state performance of synchronous generators with ac and dc stator connections considering saturation," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion., 2002, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 176-182. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.1009465
- Piriou, F., and Razek, A., "Finite element analysis in electromagnetic systems accounting for electric circuits," IEEE Trans on Magnetics., 1993, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 1669-1675. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.250727
- Sarikhani, A., Nejadpak, A., and Mohammed, O.A., "Coupled field-circuit estimation of operational inductance in PM synchronous machines by a realtime physics-based inductance observer," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics., 2013, 49, (5), pp. 2283-2286. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2013.2243715
- Huangfu, Y., Wang, S., Qiu, J.,Zhang, H., Wang, G., and Zhu, J., "Transient performance analysis of induction motor using field-circuit coupled finiteelement method," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics., 2014, 50, (2), pp. 2283-2286.
- Weilharter, B., Biro, O., Rainer, S., Stermecki, A.: 'Computation of rotating force waves in skewed induction machines using multi-slice models," IEEE Trans on Magnetics, 2011, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1046-1049. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2010.2096408
- Keranen, J., Ponomarev, P., Pippuri, J., et al.: 'Parallel performance of multi-slice finite-element modeling of skewed electrical machines," IEEE Trans on Magnetics, 2017, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1204-1207.
- Fan, Z., Liao, Y., Han, L., and Xie, L.D., "No-load voltage waveform optimization and damper bars heat reduction of tubular hydro-generator by different degree of adjusting damper bar pitch and skewing stator slot," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion., 2013, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 461-469. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2013.2259628
- Zhen-nan, F., Li-Han, Yong, L., Li-dan, X., Kun, W., Jun, W., Xiu-cheng, D., and Bing, Y., "Effect of damper winding and stator slot skewing structure on no-load voltage waveform distortion and damper bar heat in large tubular hydro generator," IEEE Access, 2018, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 22281-22291. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2827704
- Baojun, G.E., Mingzhe, L., Yutian, S.U.N., Jinxiang, L., and Lijie, H.U., 'Calculation of damper winding current for synchronous generators under asymmetric conditions," Proc. CSEE., 2013, vol. 33, no. 27, pp. 153-161.
- Xia, H., Yao, Y., and Ni, G., "Analysis of ventilation fluid field and rotor temperature field of a generator," Electric Machines and Control., 2007, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 472-476. https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1007-449X.2007.05.008
- Weili, L., Zhang, Y., and Yonghong, C., "Calculation and analysis of heat transfer coefficients and temperature fields of air-cooled large hydrogenerator rotor excitation windings," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion., 2011, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 946-952. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2011.2157923
- Weili, L., Chunwei, G., and Yuhong, C., "Influence of rotation on rotor fluid and temperature distribution in a large air-cooled hydrogenerator [J]," IEEE Trans On Energy Conversion., 2012, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 117-124. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2012.2220852
- Hu, M.Q., and Huang, X.L., "Numerical computation method and its application of electric machine performance," (Southeast University Press, 2003, pp. 16-30).