- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Compensation Technique for Current Sensorless Digital Control of Bridgeless PFC Converter under Critical Conduction Mode
- Kim, Tae-Hun (Dept. of Electrical, Electronic and Control Engineering, Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Woo-Cheol (Dept. of Electrical, Electronic and Control Engineering, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2018.03.29
- Accepted : 2018.06.26
- Published : 2018.11.01
Critical conduction mode (CRM) operation is more efficient than continuous conduction mode (CCM) operation at low power levels because of the valley switching of switches and elimination of the reverse recovery losses of boost diodes. When using a sensorless digital control method, an error occurs between the actual and the estimated current. Because of the error, it operates as CCM or discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) during CRM operation and also has an adverse effect on THD of input current. In this paper, a current sensorless technique is presented in an inverter system using a bridgeless boosted power factor correction converter, and a compensation method is proposed to reduce CRM calculation error. The validity of the proposed method is verified by simulation and experiment.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- L. Huber, Y. Jang, and M. M. Jovanovic, "Performance Evaluation of Bridgeless PFC Boost Rectifiers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 23, pp. 1381-1390, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.921107
- Q. Li, M. A. E. Andersen, and O. C. Thomsen, "Conduction losses and common mode EMI analysis on bridgeless power factor correction," in Proc. of International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, Nov. 2009, pp. 1255-1260.
- G. Cao, J. W. Lin, H. Wang, Y. Wang, "A High Performance Interleaved Bridgeless PFC for Nanogrid Systems" Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, pp. 1156-1165 Dec. 2017
- L. Huber, B. T. Irving, and M. M. Jovanovic, "Effect of valley switching and switching-frequency limitation on line-current distortions of DCM/CCM boundary boost PFC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 339-347, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2006053
- E. Firmansyah, S. Tomioka, S. Abe, M. Shoyama, and T. Ninomiya, "A critical-conduction-mode bridgeless interleaved boost power factor correction," in Proc. 31st Int. Telecommun. Energy Conf., Oct. 2009, pp. 1-5.
- L. Huber, B. Irving, and M. Jovanovic, "Open-loop control methods for interleaved DCM/CCM boundary boost PFC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 1649-1657, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.924611
- J. W. Kim, S. M. Choi, and K. T. Kim, "Variable ontime control of the critical conduction mode boost power factor correction converter to improve zerocrossing distortion," in Proc. IEEE Power Electronics and Drive Systems Conf. (PEDS), Nov. 2005, pp. 1542-1546.
- H. Choi, "Design and analysis of an interleaved boundary conduction mode (BCM) buck pfc converter," J. Power Electronics, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 641-648, July 2014 https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.4.641
- G. K. Andersen and F. Blaabjerg, "Current programmed control of a single-phase two-switch buckboost power factor correction circuit," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 263-271, Feb. 2006.
- Y.-S. Lai and C.-A. Yeh, "Predictive digital-controlled converter with peak current-mode control and leading-edge modulation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1854-1863, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2009510
- S. F. Lim and A. M. Khambadkone, "A simple digital DCM control scheme for boost PFC operating in both CCM and DCM," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1802-1812, July/August, 2011.. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2153815
- Y. S. Lai, C. A. Yeh, and K. M. Ho, "A family of predictive digital controlled PFC under boundary current mode control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 448-458, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2189013
- F. J. Azcondo, A. de Castro, V. M. Lopez, and O. Garcia, "Power factor correction without current sensor based on digital current rebuilding," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1527-1536, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2039231
- V. M. Lopez, F. J. Azcondo, F. J. Diaz, and A. de Castro, "Autotuning digital controller for current sensorless power factor corrector stage in continuous conduction mode," in Proc. IEEE Workshop Control Model. Power Electron., 2010, pp. 1-8.
- Y. T. Chang and Y. S. Lai, "On-line parameter tuning technique for predictive current mode control operating in boundary conduction mode," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 3214-3221, Aug., 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2024651
- V. M. Lopez-Martin, F. J. Azcondo, A. de Castro, "Current error compensation for current-sensorless power factor corrector stage in continuous conduction mode," in Proc. Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL), 2012. pp.1-8
- G. Cimini, G. Ippoliti, G. Orlando, and M. Pirro, "Current sensorless solution for PFC boost converter operating both in DCM and CCM," in 21st Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, June 25-28 2013, pp. 137-142
- S. J. Huang and F. S. Pai, "A New Approach of Circulating Current Method for UPS Testing with Energy Recovery," Conf. Rec. of Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting 2002, vol. 3, pp. 1418-1422.