- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Axial-Layered Permanent-Magnet on Operating Temperature in Outer Rotor Machine
- Luu, Phuong Thi (Dept. of Energy and Power Conversion Engineering, Korea University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Ji-Young (Electric Motor Research Center, Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Ji-Won (Dept. of Energy and Power Conversion Engineering, Korea University of Science and Technology) ;
- Chun, Yon-Do (Dept. of Energy and Power Conversion Engineering, Korea University of Science and Technology) ;
- Oh, Hong-Seok (Star Group Industry Company (SGI))
- Received : 2017.10.30
- Accepted : 2018.07.06
- Published : 2018.11.01
This paper discusses the thermal effect of the number of permanent-magnet (PM) layers in an outer rotor machine. Depending on the number of axial-layer of PM, the operating temperature is compared analytically and experimentally. The electromagnetic analysis is performed using 3-dimensional time varying finite element method to get the heat sources depending on axial-layered PM models. Then thermal analysis is conducted using the lumped-parameter-thermal-network method for each case. Two outer rotor machines, which have the different number of axial-layer of PM, are manufactured and tested to validate the analysis results.
Supported by : National Research Council of Science & Technology (NST)
- Jason D. Ede, Kais Atallah, Geraint W. Jewell, Jiabin B. Wang, and David Howe, "Effect of Axial Segmentation of Permanent Magnets on Rotor Loss in Modular Permanent-Magnet Brushless Machines," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol.43, no.5, pp. 1207-1213, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2007.904397
- J. Klotzl, M. Pyc, and D. Gerling, "Permanent Magnet Loss Reduction in PM Machines using Analytical and FEM Calculation," International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, pp. 88-89, 2010.
- Shuangxia Niu, S. L.Ho, W.N. Fu, and Jianguo Zhu, "Eddy Current Reduction in High-Speed Machines and Eddy Current Loss Analysis With Multislice Time-Stepping Finite-Element Method," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 1007-1010, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2173915
- Wan-Ying Huang, Adel Bettayeb, Robert Kaczmarek, and Jean-Claude Vannier, "Optimization of Magnet Segmentation for Reduction of Eddy-Current Losses in Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 381-387, June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2036250
- Peter Sergeant and Alex Van den Bossche, "Segmentation of Magnets to Reduce Losses in Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Machines," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, vol.48, no. 11, pp. 4409-4412, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2201458
- Mehran Mirzaei, Andreas Binder, Bogdan Funieru, and Marko Susic, "Analytical Calculations of Induced Eddy Currents Losses in the Magnets of Surface Mounted PM Machines With Consideration of Circumferential and Axial Segmentation Effects," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 4831-4841, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2203607
- Shi-Uk Chung, Seok-Hwan Moon, Dong-Jun Kim,, and Jong-Moo Kim, "Development of a 20-Pole-24-Slot SPMSM With Consequent Pole Rotor for In-Wheel Direct Drive," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 302-309, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2472375
- "Theory reference," Ansys Help System Ansys Inc., 2009.
- Motor-CAD. [Online]. Available: www.motordesign.com.
- Aldo Boglietti, Andrea Cavagnino, David Staton, Martin Shanel, Markus Mueller, and Carlos Mejuto, "Evolution and Modern Approaches for Thermal Analysis of Electrical Machines," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 249-255, March 2010.
- Sebastien Poncet, Sofia Haddadi, Stephane Viazzo, "Numerical Modeling of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in a Narrow Taylor-Couette-Poiseuille System," International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 128-144, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2010.08.003
- David A. Staton and Andrea Cavagnino, "Convection Heat Transfer and Flow Calculations Suitable for Analytical Modelling of Electric Machines," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 3509-3516, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.922604
- Frank Kreith, Raj M. Manglik, Mark S. Bohn, Principle of heat transfer, 7th edition, pp. 322-324.