- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Comprehensive Analysis of the End-to-End Delay for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks
- Abbas, Nasim (Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Yu, Fengqi (Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences)
- Received : 2018.01.09
- Accepted : 2018.05.06
- Published : 2018.11.01
Wireless multimedia sensor networks (WMSNs) require real-time quality-of-service (QoS) guarantees to be provided by the network. The end-to-end delay is very critical metric for QoS guarantees in WMSNs. In WMSNs, due to the transmission errors incurred over wireless channels, it is difficult to obtain reliable delivery of data in conjunction with low end-to-end delay. In order to improve the end-to-end delay performance, the system has to drop few packets during network congestion. In this article, our proposal is based on optimization of end-to end delay for WMSNs. We optimize end-to-end delay constraint by assuming that each packet is allowed fixed number of retransmissions. To optimize the end-to-end delay, first, we compute the performance measures of the system, such as end-to-end delay and reliability for different network topologies (e.g., linear topology, tree topology) and against different choices of system parameters (e.g., data rate, number of nodes, number of retransmissions). Second, we study the impact of the end-to-end delay and packet delivery ratio on indoor and outdoor environments in WMSNs. All scenarios are simulated with multiple run-times by using network simulator-2 (NS-2) and results are evaluated and discussed.
Supported by : Shenzhen Key Lab for RF Integrated Circuits
- D.-G. Zhang, X.-D. Song, and X. Wang, "New Medical Image Fusion Approach with Coding Based on SCD in Wireless Sensor Network," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 2384-2392, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.6.2384
- D. Zhang, G. Li, K. Zheng, X. Ming, and Z.-H. Pan, "An Energy-Balanced Routing Method Based on Forward-Aware Factor for Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 766-773, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2013.2250910
- D.-G. Zhang, K. Zheng, T. Zhang, and X. Wang, "A novel multicast routing method with minimum transmission for WSN of cloud computing service," Soft Computing, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1817-1827, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00500-014-1366-x
- P. Fu, Y. Cheng, H. Tang, B. Li, J. Pei, and X. Yuan, "An Effective and Robust Decentralized Target Tracking Scheme in Wireless Camera Sensor Networks," Sensors, vol. 17, no. 3, p. 639, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/s17030639
- D.-G. Zhang, "A new approach and system for attentive mobile learning based on seamless migration," Applied Intelligence, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 75-89, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10489-010-0245-0
- D. He, N. Kumar, J. Chen, C.-C. Lee, N. Chilamkurti, and S.-S. Yeo, "Robust anonymous authentication protocol for health-care applications using wireless medical sensor networks," Multimedia Systems, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 49-60, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00530-013-0346-9
- Y. Cho, S. Lim, and H. Yang, "Collaborative occupancy reasoning in visual sensor network for scalable smart video surveillance," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 1997-2003, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2010.5606357
- S. Stankovic, "Medical Applications of Wireless Sensor Networks: Who-Did-What," Computer Communications and Networks Application and Multidisciplinary Aspects of Wireless Sensor Networks, pp. 171-184, 2010.
- H.V. Poor, "Information and inference in the wireless physical layer," IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 40-47, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWC.2012.6155875
- T. Kim, I. H. Kim, Y. Sun, and Z. Jin, "Physical Layer and Medium Access Control Design in Energy Efficient Sensor Networks: An Overview," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 2-15, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2014.2379511
- A. Alanazi and K. Elleithy, "Real-Time QoS Routing Protocols in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks: Study and Analysis," Sensors, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 22209-22233, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.3390/s150922209
- Z. Wang and F. Yu, "A Flexible and Reliable Traffic Control Protocol for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks," International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 10, no. 4, p. 102742, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/102742
- N. Abbas, F. Yu, and Y. Fan, "Intelligent Video Surveillance Platform for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks," Applied Sciences, vol. 8, no. 3, p. 348, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/app8030348
- F. Al-Turjman and A. Radwan, "Data Delivery in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks: Challenging and Defying in the IoT Era," IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 126-131, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCM.2017.1700054
- A. Mammeri, A. Boukerche, and Z. Fang, "Video Streaming Over Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks Using Erasure Coding," IEEE Systems Journal, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 785-796, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSYST.2015.2455813
- G. Mali and S. Misra, "TRAST: Trust-Based Distributed Topology Management for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 1978-1991, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.2015.2456026
- S. J. Ahmad, V. Reddy, A. Damodaram, and P. R. Krishna, "Delay optimization using Knapsack algorithm for multimedia traffic over MANETs," Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 6819-6827, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2015.04.027
- Y. Wang, M. C. Vuran, and S. Goddard, "Cross-Layer Analysis of the End-to-End Delay Distribution in Wireless Sensor Networks," 2009 30th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, 2009.
- S. Yu and S.-L. Kim, "End-to-end delay in wireless random networks," IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 109-111, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2010.02.091821
- R. Vaze, "Throughput-Delay-Reliability Tradeoff with ARQ in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 2142-2149, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2011.050511.100665
- R. Zhang, O. Berder, J.-M. Gorce, and O. Sentieys, "Energy-delay tradeoff in wireless multihop networks with unreliable links," Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1306-1321, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2012.03.012
- W. Liu, D. Zhao, and G. Zhu, "End-to-end delay and packet drop rate performance for a wireless sensor network with a cluster-tree topology," Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 729-744, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/wcm.2230
- M. Dong, K. Otta, A. Liu, and M. Guo, "Joint optimization of lifetime and Transport Delay under Reliability Constraint Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 225-236, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPDS.2015.2388482
- M. Xie and M. Haenggi, "Delay-Reliability Tradeoffs in Wireless Networked Control Systems," Lecture Notes in Control and Information Science Networked Embedded Sensing and Control, pp. 291-308.
- R. Bi, Y. Li, G. Tan, and L. Sun, "Optimizing Retransmission Threshold in Wireless Sensor Networks," Sensors, vol. 16, no. 5, p. 665, Oct. 2016. https://doi.org/10.3390/s16050665
- [Online] Available: https://www.nsnam.org/.