- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Improved LiDAR-Camera Calibration Using Marker Detection Based on 3D Plane Extraction
- Yoo, Joong-Sun (Hancom Robotics Inc.) ;
- Kim, Do-Hyeong (Dept. of Control and Robot Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Gon-Woo (School of Electronics Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2018.04.30
- Accepted : 2018.08.19
- Published : 2018.11.01
In this paper, we propose an enhanced LiDAR-camera calibration method that extracts the marker plane from 3D point cloud information. In previous work, we estimated the straight line of each board to obtain the vertex. However, the errors in the point information in relation to the z axis were not considered. These errors are caused by the effects of user selection on the board border. Because of the nature of LiDAR, the point information is separated in the horizontal direction, causing the approximated model of the straight line to be erroneous. In the proposed work, we obtain each vertex by estimating a rectangle from a plane rather than obtaining a point from each straight line in order to obtain a vertex more precisely than the previous study. The advantage of using planes is that it is easier to select the area, and the most point information on the board is available. We demonstrated through experiments that the proposed method could be used to obtain more accurate results compared to the performance of the previous method.
Grant : Development of wide area driving environment awareness and cooperative driving technology which are based on V2X wireless communication
Supported by : Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion (IITP), National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF), Chungbuk National University
- Kang, K.T. "Smart sensors and intelligent cars," Mech J (in Korean) vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 32-34, 2014.
- Kang, J., Doh, N. L. "Full-DOF calibration of a rotating 2-D LIDAR with a simple plane measurement," IEEE T Robot, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1245-1263, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2016.2596769
- Brown, Matthew, and David G. Lowe. "Automatic panoramic image stitching using invariant features," International journal of computer vision, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 59-73, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11263-006-0002-3
- Szeliski, Richard, and Heung-Yeung Shum. "Creating full view panoramic image mosaics and environment maps," Proceedings of the 24th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques. ACM Press/Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1997.
- Besl, Paul J., and Ramesh C. Jain. "Three-dimensional object recognition," ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 75-145, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1145/4078.4081
- Shotton, Jamie, et al. "Real-time human pose recognition in parts from single depth images," Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition conference, Colorado, USA, June, 2011.
- Andreasson, Henrik, and Achim J. Lilienthal. "6D scan registration using depth-interpolated local image features," Robotics and Autonomous Systems, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 157-165, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2009.09.011
- Pandey, Gaurav, et al. "Extrinsic calibration of a 3d laser scanner and an omnidirectional camera," 7th IFAC symposium on intelligent autonomous vehicles, vol. 7, no. 1, 2010.
- Zhang, Zhengyou. "Flexible camera calibration by viewing a plane from unknown orientations," in Proceedings of IEEE Computer Vision Conference, vol. 1, 1999.
- Smisek, Jan, Michal Jancosek, and Tomas Pajdla. "3D with Kinect," In Consumer depth cameras for computer vision, pp. 3-25, Springer, London, 2013.
- Zhu, Jiejie, et al. "Fusion of time-of-flight depth and stereo for high accuracy depth maps," Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Conference, Alaska, USA, 2008.
- Vasconcelos, Francisco, Joao P. Barreto, and Urbano Nunes. "A minimal solution for the extrinsic calibration of a camera and a laser-rangefinder," IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 2097-2107, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2012.18
- Jung, Jiyoung, et al. "A novel 2.5 D pattern for extrinsic calibration of tof and camera fusion system," Intelligent Robots and Systems, San Francisco, USA, 2011.
- Sui, Jingfeng, and Shuo Wang. "Extrinsic calibration of camera and 3D laser sensor system," Chinese Control Conference, Dalian, China, 2017.
- Xiao, Zhipeng, et al. "Accurate extrinsic calibration between monocular camera and sparse 3D Lidar points without markers," Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, IEEE, 2017.
- Kern, F. "Supplementing laserscanner geometric data with photogrammetric images for modeling," International Archives of Photogrammetry Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences 34.5/ C7, pp. 454-461, 2002.
- Gong, Xiaojin, Ying Lin, and Jilin Liu. "3D LIDARcamera extrinsic calibration using an arbitrary trihedron," Sensors, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 1902-1918, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3390/s130201902
- Velas, M., et al. "Calibration of rgb camera with velodyne lidar," International Conference on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision, Plzen, Czech, 2014.
- Dhall, A., et al. "LiDAR-camera calibration using 3D-3D point correspondences," arXiv preprint arXiv: 1705.09785, 2017.
- Yoo, J.S, Kim, G.W. "3D LiDAR-camera calibration using efficient marker detection based on plane surface extraction," Proc of 2017 ICROS (Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems) Daejeon, Korean, 2017.
- Zhang, N. "Plane fitting on airborne laser scanning data using ransac," Lunds Tekniska Hogskola, pp. 17, 2011.
- [Online] Available: http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/.
- Atanacio-Jimenez, Gerardo, et al. "Lidar velodyne hdl-64e calibration using pattern planes," International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 59, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5772/50900
- [Online] Available: https://github.com/SmartRoboticSystems/aruco_mapping
- Jarvis, R. A. "On the identification of the convex hull of a finite set of points in the plane," Inform Process Lett, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 18-21, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-0190(73)90020-3
- Graham, R.L, Yao, F.F. "Finding the convex hull of a simple polygon," J Algorithm, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 324-331, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-6774(83)90013-5
- [Online] Available: http://jeffe.cs.illinois.edu/teaching/373/notes/x05-convexhull.pdf
- Freeman, H, Shapira, R. "Determining the minimumarea encasing rectangle for an arbitrary closed curve," Communications of the ACM, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 409-413, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1145/360881.360919
- Guindel, C., Beltran, J., Martin, D. and Garcia, F. "Automatic Extrinsic Calibration for Lidar-Stereo Vehicle Sensor Setups," Intelligent Transportation Systems, Yokohama, Japan, 2017.