- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Lithium-ion Stationary Battery Capacity Sizing Formula for the Establishment of Industrial Design Standard
- Chang, Choong-koo (Dept. of Nuclear Power Plant Engineering, KEPCO International Nuclar Graduate School) ;
- Sulley, Mumuni (Dept. of Nuclear Power Plant Engineering, KEPCO International Nuclar Graduate School)
- Received : 2018.04.30
- Accepted : 2018.10.01
- Published : 2018.11.01
The extension of DC battery backup time in the DC power supply system of nuclear power plants (NPPs) remains a challenge. The lead-acid battery is the most popular at present. And it is generally the most popular energy storage device. However, extension of backup time requires too much space. The lithium-ion battery has high energy density and advanced gravimetric and volumetric properties. The aim of this paper is development of the sizing formula of stationary lithium-ion batteries. The ongoing research activities and related industrial standards for stationary lithium-ion batteries are reviewed. Then, the lithium-ion battery sizing calculation formular is proposed for the establishment of industrial design standard which is essential for the design of stationary batteries of nuclear power plants. An example of calculating the lithium-ion battery capacity for a medium voltage UPS is presented.
Supported by : KEPCO International Nuclear Graduate School (KINGS)
- Kiyomoto Kawakami, "Development of large, highly safe, high performance lithium-ion batteries for stationary use to support a smart society," Nature Technology Forum, Sept. 24, 2013.
- Types of Lithium-ion, Battery University, http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion
- 12V 12Ah Deep Cycle Sealed Lead-acid Battery with F2 Terminals, Discharge Characteristic Curve, https://www.upsbatterycenter.com/12v-12ah-deepcycle-sealed-lead-acid-battery-with-f2-terminals
- BU-501a: Discharge Characteristics of Li-ion Batteries http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharge_characteristics_li
- Charging at High and Low Temperature, http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures
- M. Coleman, C. K. Lee, C. Zhu, and W. G. Hurley, "Stateof-charge determination from EMF voltage estimation: using impedance, terminal voltage, and current for lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 2550-2557, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.899926
- How does capacity correlate with charge voltage for lithium ion batteries? http://www.powerstream.com/lithium-ion-charge-voltage.htm
- IEEE std 946, IEEE Recommended Practice for the Design of DC Auxiliary Power Systems for Generating Stations, Section 4.2.
- IEEE std.384, IEEE Standard Criteria for Independence of Class 1E Equipment and Circuits.
- Regulatory Guide 1.75, Physical Independence of Electric Systems, Revision 2, Sept. 01, 1978.
- IEEE std.485, IEEE Recommended Practice for Sizing Lead-acid batteries for Stationary Applications
- KEPIC, EEG 1400, Installation Design and Installation of Lithium-ion Batteries for Stationary Applications, Dec. 31, 2017.
- Ahmad Pesaran, Shriram Santhanagopalan, Gi-Heon Kim, "Addressing the Impact of Temperature Extremes on Large Format Li-Ion Batteries for Vechicle Applications," 30th International Battery Seminar, March 11-14, 2013.
- Todd M. Bandhouse, Srinivas Garimella, and Tohams F. Fuller, "A Critical Review of the Thermal Issues in Lithium-Ion Batteries," Jornual of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 158, no. 3, R1-R25(2011) . https://doi.org/10.1149/1.3515880
- IEEE Std.450, IEEE Recommended Practice for Maintenance, Testing, and Replacement of Vented Lead-Acid Batteries for Stationary Applications, Section 5.2 - Section 7.
- Choong-koo Chang, "A new MV bus Transfer scheme for nuclear power plants," EPJ Nuclear Science and Technology., vol. 1, no. 12(2015).
- BU-808: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries, http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prime_batteries
- Yoo Jong-geul, Lithium-ion Battery Test and Analysis for the Development of Technical Standard for Nuclear Power Plant Use, Korea Testing Laboratory, Nov. 04, 2016.
- Kokam Battery Module KBM Series 'KBM2P17S
- EnerSys, PowerSafe GN battery specification, Publication No. US-GN-RS-002, Feb., 2012.