- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Convergent Factors Affecting Problem Behaviors in Out-of-school Adolescents: A Focus on Gender Difference
학교 밖 청소년의 문제행동 관련 융복합적 요인: 성별차이를 중심으로
- Lee, Jaeyoung (Department of Nursing Science, Kyungsung University)
- 이재영 (경성대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.08.07
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The objective of this study was to investigate the problem behavior and its convergent factors in out-of-school adolescents, with a focus on gender differences. This study was a secondary data analysis study using out-of-school adolescents research data at Busan women and family development institute. The study was conducted in a total of 499 out-of-school adolescents (337 males, 162 females). The type of the 8 problem behaviors (run away from home, drop out, prostitution, violence, internet game addiction, theft, drug addiction, and smoking) were identified. The collected data were analyzed with multiple logistic regression. Among the problem behaviors of the participants, internet game addiction and theft were more significantly high in male out-of-school adolescents than female out-of-school adolescents. In internet game addiction, male out-of-school adolescents were 1.90 times higher than female out-of-school adolescents (p=.008, 95% CI=1.18-3.06). In theft, male out-of-school adolescents were 1.92 times higher than female out-of-school adolescents (p=.006, 95% CI=1.21-3.03). When the social measures were provided for those adolescents, a distinguished approach is required depending on the problem behavior and gender.
Supported by : 경성대학교
- National Youth Policy Institute. (2006). Survey and policy plan of out-of-school adolescents. National Youth Policy Institute. http://old.nypi.re.kr/paper/view.np?y_idx=99
- Korea Ministry of Government Legislation. (2017). Act on the support for out-of-school juveniles. Ministry of Government Legislation. http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=192546&efYd=20170321#0000
- Ministry of Gender Equality & Family. (2015). 2015 out-of-school adolescents survey. PRISM. http://www.prism.go.kr/homepage/lately/retrieveLatelyDetail.do?research_id=1382000-201500067
- L. Charmaraman & G. Hall. (2011). School dropout prevention: What arts-based community and out-of-school-time programs can contribute. New Directions for Youth Development, 2011(Suppl1), 9-27. DOI : 10.1002/yd.416 https://doi.org/10.1002/yd.416
- G. S. Park & M. Kim. (2016). A comparative study of health status between students and out-of-school youth. Youth Facilities and Environment, 14(2), 17-26.
- D. H. Lee, S. J. Kim, M. Y. Cho, J. H. Lee & S. H. Bang. (2011). Understanding adolescents' theft behaviors: A review of the literature. KJYC, 19(1), 23-47.
- M. Y. Kim & H. K. Son. (2017). A study on gender differences in influencing factors of mental health and problem behavior quantiles in high school students. JLCCI, 17(10), 563-580. DOI : 10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.10.563 https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2017.17.10.563
- Y. L. Kim & S. W. Hwang. (2016). A study on the problem drinking and its related factors among adolescents in South Korea: Focusing on men and women. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health, 20(3), 262-271. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2016.20.3.262
- H. S. Kim. (2002). Gender difference in delinquent behavior among Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Nurs, 32(4), 492-505. DOI : 10.1007/s10578-005-2691-1 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.4.492
- L. Keltikangas-Jarvinen & M. Lindeman. (1997). Evaluations of theft, lying, and fighting in adolescence. J Youth Adolesc, 26(4), 467-483. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024585406173
- E. H. Ha, S. J. Lee, K. J. Oh & K. E. Hong. (1998). Parent-adolescent agreement in the assessment of behavior problems of adolescents comparison of factor structures of K-CBCL and YSR. Korean J Child & Adol Psychiatr, 9(1), 3-12.
- Busan Women and Family Development Institute. (2014). Research on the status and policy-directions for youth in crisis in Busan. Busan Women and Family Development Institute. https://www.bwf.re.kr/kor/CMS/Board/Board.do?mCode=MN062&page=5&mode=view&mgr_seq=20&board_seq=5947
- L. Kann et al. (2018). Youth risk behavior surveillance - United States, 2017. MMWR Surveill Summ, 67(8), 1-114. DOI : 10.15585/mmwr.ss6708a1 https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6708a1
- J. E. Grant, M. N. Potenza, S. Krishnan-Sarin, D. A. Cavallo & R. A. Desai. (2011). Stealing among high school students: Prevalence and clinical correlates. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law, 39(1), 44-52.
- S. B. Holliday, M. O. Edelen & J. S. Tucker. (2017). Family functioning and predictors of runaway behavior among at-risk youth. Child Adolesc Social Work J, 34(3), 247-258. DOI : 10.1007/s10560-016-0459-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s10560-016-0459-z
- M. L. Kim, C. W. Kim & S. H. Hwang. (2010). Validity of the single item measure for serious leisure. Korean Journal of Lesure, Recreation & Park, 34(4), 147-156. DOI : 10.15585/mmwr.ss6708a1
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2017). 13th (2017) Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey statistics. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub03/sub03_07_01.do
- Ministry of Gender Equality & Family. (2014). Harmful environment contact of adolescents total survey. PRISM. http://www.prism.go.kr/homepage/entire/retrieveEntireDetail.do?pageIndex=1&research_id=1382000-201500014&leftMenuLevel=160&cond_research_name=%EC%B2%AD%EC%86%8C%EB%85%84%EC%9C%A0%ED%95%B4%ED%99%98%EA%B2%BD&cond_research_start_date=&cond_research_end_date=&pageUnit=10&cond_order=3
- Ministry of Education. (2018). 2017 2nd A survey on the status of school violence. Ministry of Education. http://moe.go.kr/boardCnts/view.do?boardID=294&boardSeq=72765&lev=0&searchType=null&statusYN=W&page=1&s=moe&m=0503&opType=N
- National Youth Policy Institute. (2013). Lowering age status and policy survey of adolescents problem behavior. NDSL. http://www.ndsl.kr/ndsl/search/detail/report/reportSearchResultDetail.do?cn=TRKO201400002110
- Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, National Information Society Agency. (2017). 2016 A survey on the status of internet overdependence. Ministry of Science and ICT. http://www.msit.go.kr/web/msipContents/contentsView.do?cateId=mssw315&artId=1325370
- H. S. Park, Y. H. Kwon & K. M. Park. (2007). Factors on internet game addiction among adolescents. J Korean Acad Nurs, 37(5), 754-761. DOI : 10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.754 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.754
- C. A. Jun, C. O. Park & E. G. Lee. (2008). An exploratory study of the related variables on the internet addiction of adolescents. Korea Journal of Counseling, 9(2), 709-726. DOI : 10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.709 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.709
- D. K. Yang. (2000). The relationships between adolescent's sensation seeking, internet addiction tendency, and internet-related delinquency. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 7(2), 117-136.
- S. S. So, J. S. Myung & C. S. Kim. (2011). A study of predicting variables for internet addiction in adolescence. Kor. J. Psychol.: Health, 16(3), 521-535. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2011.16.3.006
- S. M. Bae. (2015). Factors related to internet game addiction of adolescents by gender. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 22(8), 385-405.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. (2016). Public health model development and harmful ef ects survey of internet game addiction. NDSL. http://www.ndsl.kr/ndsl/search/detail/report/reportSearchResultDetail.do?cn=TRKO201700000755
- J. Kwon, J. E. Park & J. Y. Oh. (2016). The study of the comparison on factors influencing internet game addiction among male middle and high school students. JKAIS, 17(2), 75-86. DOI : 10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.75 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.75
- M. D. Regnerus. (2002). Friends' influence on adolescent theft and minor delinquency: A developmental test of peer-reported effects. Soc Sci Res, 31(4), 381-705. DOI : 10.1016/S0049-089X(02)00010-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0049-089X(02)00010-8
- K. S. Bang et al. (2017). Human development across the lifespan. Seoul : Medical Science.