- Volume 36 Issue 2
Purpose: This study was conducted to determine the level of mental health literacy (MHL) of the R.O.K junior army offices. Methods: A descriptive cross-sectional survey design was used with a convenient sample. The survey data were collected from 145 junior army officers. Participants were presented with a survey about 2-case vignettes (schizophrenia and depression) and responded questions assessing recognition of these mental problems and understanding about the helpfulness of interventions and resources. Descriptive analysis, t-test and
Supported by : 군건강정책연구소
- Hong JP. The survey of mental disorders in 2016 in Korea. Research Report. Sejong: Ministry of Health & Welfare(MOHW), 2017 April
- Park JH, Yoon SJ, Lee HY, Joo HS, Lee JY, Eun SJ, et al. Estimating the burden of psychiatric disorder in Korea. J Prev Med Public Health. 2006;39(1):39-45.
- Yoo JM, Ahn SR, Cho YS, Lee MS. A study of duration of untreated psychosis [DUP] for first episode psychosis. Seoul Mental Health Center. 2011;2:12-16.
- Gulliver A, Griffiths KM, Christensen H. Perceived barriers and facilitators to mental health help-seeking in young people: a systematic review. BMC Psychiatry. 2010;10:2-9.
- Jorm AF, Korten AE, Jacomb PA, Christensen H, Rodgers B, Pollitt P. Mental health literacy: a survey of the public's ability to recognize mental disorders and their beliefs about the effectiveness of treatment. Medical Journal of Australia. 1997;166(4):182-6.
- Jorm AF. Mental health literacy: Empowering the community to take action for better mental health. American Psychologist. 2012;67(3) :231-243. doi:10.1037/a0025957. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025957
- Seo MK, Lee MK. Mental health literacy and vulnerable group analysis of Korea. Korea Journal of Social Welfare. 2013;65(2) :313-334.
- Jeon MS. Mental health literacy of community social welfare service provider [master's thesis]. Jinju: Gyeongsang National University; 2013. p. 1-96.
- Ko H, Choi H. Mental health literacy among parents of adolescents and teachers in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. 2015;24(3):168-177. doi:10.12934/jkpmhn. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2015.24.3.168
- Harmon LM, Cooper RL, Nugent WR, Butcher JJ. A review of the effectiveness of military suicide prevention programs in reducing rates of military suicides. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment. 2015;00:1-10. doi:10.1080/10911359.2015.1058139 https://doi.org/10.1080/10911359.2015.1058139
- Kang JH, Jung SO, Yoon YK, Roh MY, Choi YH, Kim JE. The relationships among depression level, stress, and perceived organizational support in Korean navy sailors. Journal of Military Nursing Research. 2011;29(2):66-76.
- Gonzalez JM, Alegria M, Prihoda TJ. How do attitudes toward mental health treatment vary by age, gender, and ethnicity race in young adults?. J Commun Psychol. 2005;33(5):611-29. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.20071
- Gregor R, Amy G, Rita DB. Mental health literacy, stigma, and help-seeking behaviors among male college students. Journal of American College Health. 2018;66(4):284-291. doi:10.1080/07448481.2018.1434780. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2018.1434780
- Komiya N, Good GE, Sherrod NB. Emotional openness as a predictor of college students' attitudes toward seeking psychological help. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 2000:47(1) :138. https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-0184.108.40.2064
- Attygalle UR, Perera H, Jayamanne BDW. M ental health literacy in adolescents; ability to rec ognize problem, helpful interventions and out comes. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health. 2017;11(38):1-12. doi:10.1186/s13034-017-0176-1. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13034-017-0176-1
- Jorm AF, Griffiths KM. Population promotion of informal self-help strategies for early intervention against depression and anxiety. Psychological Medicine. 2006;36(1):3-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291705005659
- Ann YH, Baek HJ, Ham OK, Kim MY, Lee IS, Lee BY, et al. Health Education. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa; 2013.
- Cheng H, Wang C, McDermott RC, Kridel M, Rislin JL. Self‐stigma, mental health literacy, and attitudes toward seeking psychological help. Journal of Counseling & Development. 2018;96(1):64-74. doi:10.1002/jcad.12178. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcad.12178
- Kim JH, Seo MK. Comparing prejudice and discrimination according to types of mental disorder, using vignettes. Mental Health & Social Work. 2011;37:35-64.
- Jang JG. Shin HK, Kim KS, Byun SH. Effectiveness of command counseling program development for young leaders. The Korea Contents Association. 2012;12:155-165.
- Kim MY. The Effect of the empathy level of the junior officer on the adaptation of military service and the exercise of combat power. Korea Association of Military Studies, Military Forum. 2011;67:285-297.
- Jung HJ, Kwon JC, Jeon ER, Cha YG, Min KO. The effect of Korean style communication group counseling program upon new enlisted soldiers human relations and adaptability in service. Journal of Military Nursing Research. 2014;32(2):82-95.