- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Acupuncture Treatment for Rotator Cuff Disorder: A Systematic Review
회전근개 질환에 대한 침술 치료의 효과: 체계적 문헌 고찰
- Received : 2018.09.12
- Accepted : 2018.10.05
- Published : 2018.10.31
Objectives To systematically explore the effects of acupuncture treatment for rotator cuff disorders and review the clinical trials. Methods We searched 9 electronic databases (PubMed, Cochrane central, Embase, China National Knowledge Infrastructure [CNKI], Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information [KISTI], National Digital Science Library [NDSL], Korean studies Information Service System [KISS], Research Information Sharing Service [RISS], Oriental Medicine Advanced Searching Integrated System [OASIS]) to find randomized controlled trials that used acupunture treatment for rotator cuff disorders. We assessed the designs of the randomized controlled trials and the method of acupuncture treatment according to the Standards for Reporting Interventions in Clinical Trials of Acupuncture (STRICTA). The methodological quality of randomized controlled trials were assessed using the Cochrane Risk of Bias (RoB) tool. Results Total 5 trials were reviewed. 4 out of 5 randomized clinical trials reported meaningful effects of acupuncture treatments compared to control group. However risk of bias seemed high. Conclusions Although the results suggest that acupuncture treatment has favorable effects for rotator cuff disorders, most of the studies included methodologically high risk of bias. Thus, well designed randomized clinical trials which evaluate the effects of acupuncture treatment for rotator cuff disorders should be encouraged.
Acupuncture;Rotator cuff;Shoulder impingement syndrome;Review
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. 7th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin medical Publishing Co. 2013:629, 634.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care. 1st ed. Seoul:Hanwoori. 2009:114, 116.
- Lee JH, Ko MK, Yoon KS, Lee CW, Kim YI, Kim JH. Case report of acute traumatic rotator cuff tear treatment in traditional Korean Medicine. Journal of Korean Institute of Herbal-Acupuncture. 2011;14(4):53-8.
- Jeong JY, Kim JH, Song CH, Jang KJ, Kim CH, Youn HM. 1 case of shoulder pain treated with oriental treatment including pharmacopuncture in rotator cuff surgery. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2012;29(6):119-25.
- Park MJ, Min SJ, You KG, Yeam SR, Kwon YD, Kim SH. A clinical case of the oriental medical treatment for the patient with partial tear of rotator cuff. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2012;22(2):247-54.
- Kim HS, Heo WY, Hyun MK, Kim JS, Gang IA. Four case of partial tear of supraspinatus tendon treated by acupotomy combined oriental medical treatments. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2014;31(1):167-76.
- Lee SJ, Park JH, Nam SH, Kang JH. Two clinical cases of active release technique with Koeran Medicine treatment for supraspinatus tendon partial tear. Journal of Korea Chuna Manual Medicine. 2014;9(1):89-101.
- Jeong DU, Song SC, Yeo KC, Kim KY, Lee HJ, Moon SI. Report of two cases of shoulder pain diagnosed through MRI as partial tear of supraspinatus tendon treated by oriental medical treatment. J Korean Med. 2009;30(1):163-72.
- Kim SY, Park JE, Seo HJ, Lee YJ, Jang BH, Son HJ, Suh HS, Shin CM. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. 1st ed. Seoul:National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. 2011:65-78, 94-100, 131.
- MacPherson H, Altman DG, Hammerschlag R, Youping L, Taixiang W, White A, Moher D, STRICTA Revision Group. Revised standards for reporting interventions in clinical trials of acupuncture (STRICTA): extending the CONSORT statement. PLOS Med. 2010;7(6):e1000261. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000261
- Rueda Garrido JC, Vas J, Lopez DR. Acupuncture treatment of shoulder impingement syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2016;25:92-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2016.01.003
- Vas J, Ortega C, Olmo V, Perez-Fernandez F, Hernandez L, Medina I, Seminario JM, Herrera A, Luna F, Perea-Milla E, Mendez C, Madrazo F, Jimenez C, Ruiz MA, Aguilar I. Single-point acupuncture and physiotherapy for the treatment of painful shoulder: a multicentre randomized controlled trial. Rheumatology. 2008;47(6):887-93. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/ken040
- Razavi M, Jansen GB. Effects of acupuncture and placebo TENS in addition to exercise in treatment of rotator cuff tendinitis. Clinical Rehabilitation. 2004:18(8):872-78. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215504cr849oa
- Johansson KM, Adolfsson LE, Foldevi MO. Effects of acupuncture versus ultrasound in patients with impingement syndrome: randomized clinical trial. Physical Therapy. 2005;85(6):490-501.
- Kleinhenz J, Streitberger K, Windeler J, Gussbacher A, Mavridis G, Martin E. Randomised clinical trial comparing the effects of acupuncture and a newly designed placebo needle in rotator cuff tendinitis. Pain. 1999;83(2):235-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(99)00107-4
- Korean Acupuncture Society Textbook Compilation Committee. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. 1st ed. Seoul:Jibmundang Publishing. 2012:15, 56.