- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Investigation on the Effects of Wet Cupping on Wisu (BL21) for Non-acute Low Back Pain: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial
비급성 요통에 대한 위수혈 자락관법의 효과 탐색: 예비 무작위 대조군 시험
- Kim, Hyungsuk (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Cho, Jae-Heung (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Koh-Woon (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chung, Won-Seok (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Park, Jae-Hyun (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Shin, Woo-Chul (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chung, Seok-Hee (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University)
- 김형석 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학교실) ;
- 조재흥 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학교실) ;
- 김고운 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학교실) ;
- 정원석 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학교실) ;
- 박재현 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학교실) ;
- 신우철 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학교실) ;
- 정석희 (경희대학교 대학원 임상한의학교실)
- Received : 2018.09.13
- Accepted : 2018.10.11
- Published : 2018.10.31
Objectives This study was designed to investigate the effects of wet cupping on Wisu (BL12) in non-acute low back pain patients. Methods We recruited 30 participants for this study. Fifteen patients were randomly assigned to the Wisu (BL21) treatment group (WT group) and 15 were assigned to the non-acupoint treatment group (NT group). Both groups were treated with the pricking-cupping bloodletting method three times. Values at baseline and follow-up were analyzed by Wilcoxon signed rank test and the differences between the two groups were determined by Wilcoxon rank sum test. p-values less than 0.05 were considered significant. The primary outcome was the visual analogue scale (VAS), and secondary outcomes were the Oswestry disability index (ODI), Rolland-Morris disability questionnaire (RMDQ), Euroqol-5 dimension questionnaire (EQ-5D) and finger-to-ground distance (FTGD). These outcomes were measured on the day of first treatment before the procedure and on follow-up 7 days after the last treatment. Results Significant changes were identified in the VAS for pain and ODI in each group after wet cupping treatment on Wisu (p<0.05). However, no significant changes were found between groups. Meanwhile, RMDQ and EQ-5D were significantly decreased only in the NT group (p<0.05) without any differences between groups. FTGD was decreased in both groups, but not significantly. Conclusions Wet cupping with both Wisu treatment and non-acupoint had significant effects on non-acute low back pain, although there were no differences between the two groups. A large-scale study is needed to identify the effect of wet cupping on Wisu.
- Jing-Chun Z, Jia-Ao Y, Chun-Jing X, Kai S, Lai-Jin L. Burns induced by cupping therapy in a burn center in northeast China. Wounds Compend Clin Res Pract. 2014;26(7):214-20.
- Lee MS, Kim J I, Kong JC, Lee DH, Shin BC. Developing and validating a sham cupping device. Acupunct Med J Br Med Acupunct Soc. 2010;28(4):200-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/aim.2010.002329
- Kim SJ, Park JS, Lee JJ, Park OJ, Kim SG, Jeong HH, Park MC, Kwon YM, Jo EH. The effect of venesection with cupping therapy at Jeonjung (CV17) on the heart rate variability in healthy adults. The Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2013;30(4):15-24.
- Turtay MG, Turgut K, Oguzturk H. Unexpected lumbar abscess due to scarification wet cupping: a case report. Complement Ther Med. 2014;22(4):645-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2014.07.001
- Xu S, Wang L, Cooper E, Zhang M, Manheimer E, Berman B, Shen X, Lao L. Adverse events of acupuncture: a systematic review of case reports. Evid-Based Complement Altern Med. 2013;2013:581203.
- Middelkoop M, Rubinstein S, Kuijpers T, Verhagen A, Ostelo R, Koes B, Tulder M. A systematic review on the effectiveness of physical and rehabilitation interventions for chronic non-specific low back pain. Eur Spin J. 2011;20(1):19-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-010-1518-3
- The Committee of Textbook Compilation of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine Society. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. 1st ed. Seoul: Jipmoondang. 2012:345-6.
- Kim JI, Kim TH, Lee MS, Kang JW, Kim KH, Choi JY, Kang KW, Kim AR, Shin MS, Jung SY, Choi SM. Evaluation of wet-cupping therapy for persistent non-specific low back pain: a randomised, waiting-list controlled, open-label, parallel-group pilot trial. Trials. 2011;12:146. https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-12-146
- Maigne R. Low back pain of thoracolumbar origin. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1980;61(9):389-95.
- Choe JR. Back pain of muscular origin. Korean J Pain. 1993;6(1):83-95.
- WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific. WHO Standard Acupuncture Point Locations in the Western Pacific Region. 1st ed. Manila:World Health Organization. 2008:110, 124.
- Lee BY, Song YK, Lim HH. Literature investigation regarding cupping therapy and analysis of current professional's cupping treatment. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2008;18(2):169-91.
- Chou R, Qaseem A, Snow V, Casey D, Cross JT Jr, Shekelle P, Owens DK. Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain: a joint clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147(7):478-91. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-147-7-200710020-00006
- Starkweather AR, Lyon DE, Kinser P, Heineman A, Sturgill JL, Deng X, Siangphoe U, Elswick RK, Greenspan J, Dorsey SG. Comparison of low back pain recovery and persistence: a descriptive study of characteristics at pain onset. Biol Res Nurs. 2016;18(4):401-10. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099800416631819
- Heo J. Donguibogam. Seoul:Namsandang. 2004:128-9, 131, 134-5, 279.
- Lee JW, Lee JM. Study on the methods of acupuncture and moxibustion in the phlegm section (in the Naegyeong chapter) of the Donguibogam. Journal of Meridian and Acupoint. 2007;24(4):1-12.
- Kim JH, Nam DW, Kang JW, Kim EJ, Kim KS, Kang SK, Lee JD. A review of clinical trials for development of assessment criteria for chronic low back pain. J Korean Acupunct Moxibustion Soc. 2009;26(6):215-24.
- Calvino B, Grilo RM. Central pain control. Jt Bone Spine Rev Rhum. 2006;73(1):10-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2004.11.006
- Tagil SM, Celik HT, Ciftci S, Kazanci FH, Arslan M, Erdamar N, Kesik Y, Erdamar H, Dane S. Wet-cupping removes oxidants and decreases oxidative stress. Complement Ther Med. 2014;22(6):1032-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2014.10.008
- Hekmatpou D, Moeini L, Haji-Nadli S. The effectiveness of wet cupping vs. venesection on arterial O2 saturation level of cigarette smokers: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Pak J Med Sci. 2013;29(6):1349-53.
- Erras S, Benjilali L, Essaadouni L. Wet-cupping in the treatment of recalcitrant oral and genital ulceration of Behcet disease: a randomised controlled trial. Research Gate. 2013;12(4):615-18.
- Tsuchiya M, Sato EF, Inoue M, Asada A. Acupuncture enhances generation of nitric oxide and increases local circulation. Anesth Analg. 2007;104(2):301-7. https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ane.0000230622.16367.fb
- Liu L, Skinner M, McDonough S, Mabire L, Baxter GD. Acupuncture for low back pain: an overview of systematic reviews. Evid-Based Complement Altern Med. 2015;2015:328196.
- Furlan AD, van Tulder M, Cherkin D, Tsukayama H, Lao L, Koes B, Berman B. Acupuncture and dry-needling for low back pain: an updated systematic review within the framework of the cochrane collaboration. Spine. 2005;30(8):944-63. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000158941.21571.01
- Liang F, Chen W, Chen B, Xu QG, Zhan HS. Effect of acupuncture therapy on patients with low back pain: a Meta-analysis. Zhongguo Gu Shang China J Orthop Traumatol. 2016;29(5):449-55.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korea Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:414.
- AlBedah A, Khalil M, Elolemy A, Hussein AA, AlQaed M, Al Mudaiheem A, Abutalib RA, Bazaid FM, Bafail AS, Essa A, Bakrain MY. The use of wet cupping for persistent nonspecific low back pain: randomised controlled clinical trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2015;21(8):504-8. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2015.0065
- Farhadi K, Schwebel DC, Saeb M, Choubsaz M, Mohammadi R, Ahmadi A. The effectiveness of wet-cupping for nonspecific low back pain in Iran: a randomised controlled trial. Complement Ther Med. 2009;17(1):9-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2008.05.003
- Aleyeidi NA, Aseri KS, Matbouli SM, Sulaiamani AA, Kobeisy SA. Effects of wet-cupping on blood pressure in hypertensive patients: a randomised controlled trial. J Integr Med. 2015;13(6):391-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2095-4964(15)60197-2
- Ludtke R, Albrecht U, Stange R, Uehleke B. Brachialgia paraesthetica nocturna can be relieved by "wet cupping"- results of a randomised pilot study. Complement Ther Med. 2006;14(4):247-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2006.07.004
- Michalsen A, Bock S, Ludtke R, Rampp T, Baecker M, Bachmann J, Langhorst J, Musial F, Dobos GJ. Effects of traditional cupping therapy in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomised controlled trial. J Pain. 2009;10(6):601-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2008.12.013
- Kim TH, Kang JW, Kim KH, Lee MH, Kim JE, Kim JH, Lee S, Shin MS, Jung SY, Kim AR, Park HJ, Hong KE. Cupping for treating neck pain in video display terminal (VDT) users: a randomised controlled pilot trial. J Occup Health. 2012;54(6):416-26. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.12-0133-OA
- Lauche R, Cramer H, Hohmann C, Choi KE, Rampp T, Saha FJ, Musial F, Langhorst J, Dobos G. The effect of traditional cupping on pain and mechanical thresholds in patients with chronic nonspecific neck pain: a randomised controlled pilot study. Evid-Based Complement Altern Med. 2012;2012:429718.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The Third Using of Korean Medical Treatment and Investigation on Consumption Realities. Ministry of Health and Welfare [Internet] 2015 [cited 2017 May 1]. Available from: URL: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=317464&page=1.
- Yuan QL, Guo TM, Liu L, Sun F, Zhang YG. Traditional Chinese medicine for neck pain and low back pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PloS One. 2015;10(2):e0117146. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0117146