- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Proposal of East-west Integrative Medicine Manual for Rehabilitation after Lumbar Spine Surgery
요추 수술 후 재활 치료에서의 한양방협진 매뉴얼 제안
- Received : 2018.09.15
- Accepted : 2018.10.17
- Published : 2018.10.31
Objectives This is one of the manuals of East-west integrative medicine which was created by the Committee on integrative medicine of Chung-Yeon Korean Medicine Hospital. The purpose of this manual is to support clinical decision making and communication during the rehabilitation of patients after lumbar spine surgery. Methods The drafting was done by two rehabilitation specialists in Korean Medicine. After a rehabilitation specialist in western medicine reviewed the draft and exchanged their ideas, a revised version that reflects the goal of consultation was made. Then the Committee agreed to adopt the manuals through the process of review and feedback in addition to face-to-face discussions. Results This manual describes clinical decision making for rehabilitation after lumbar microdiskectomy, interbody fusion, and kyphoplasty. Therefore it contains the schedule of rehabilitation treatment through the surgical technique, general goal of the rehabilitation by phase, scales for outcome measure and postoperative infection management. Conclusions The proposal of this manual has a significance for it provides information about decision making process and contents of treatment in one medical institution for East-west integrative rehabilitation treatment after lumbar spine surgery.
Laminectomy;Diskectomy;Vertebroplasty;Rehabilitation;Integrative medicine;Korean Medicine
- Schmidt CO, Raspe H, Pfingsten M, Hasenbring M, Basler HD, Eich W, Kohlmann T. Back pain in the German adult population: prevalence, severity, and sociodemographic correlates in a multiregional survey. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32(18):2005-11. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e318133fad8
- Goetzel RZ, Hawkins K, Ozminkowski RJ, Wang S. The health and productivity cost burden of the "top 10" physical and mental health conditions affecting six large U.S. employers in 1999. J O ccup Environ Med. 2003;45(1):5-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-200301000-00007
- Cummins J, Lurie JD, Tosteson TD, Hanscom B, Abdu WA, Birkmeyer NJ, Herkowitz H, Weinstein J. Descriptive epidemiology and prior healthcare utilization of patients in the Spine Patient Outcomes Research Trial's (SPORT) three observational cohorts: disc herniation, spinal stenosis, and degenerative spondylolisthesis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006;31(7):806-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000207473.09030.0d
- O'Lynnger TM, Zuckerman SL, Morone PJ, Dewan MC, Vasquez-Castellanos RA, Cheng JS. Trends for spine surgery for the elderly: implications for access to healthcare in North America. Neurosurgery. 2015;77 Suppl 4:S136-41. https://doi.org/10.1227/NEU.0000000000000945
- Martin B, Mirza SK, Spina N, Spiker WR, Lawrence B, Brodke DS. Trends in lumbar fusion procedure rates and associated hospital costs for degenerative spinal diseases in the United States, 2004-2015. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2018 Aug 2. doi:10.1097/BRS.0000000000002822. [Epubaheadofprint]
- Rankine JJ. The postoperative spine. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2014;18(3):300-8. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0034-1375571
- Oosterhuis T, Costa LO, Maher CG, de Vet HC, van Tulder MW, Ostelo RW. Rehabilitation after lumbar disc surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(3):CD003007.
- Cho YH, Kim CK, Heo KH, Lee MS, Ha IH, Son DW, Choi BK, Song GS, Shin BC. Acupuncture for acute postoperative pain after back surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Pain Pract. 2015;15(3):279-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/papr.12208
- Zhao BX, Wang KZ, Zhao JX, Wang CS, Huang XH, Shu-qiang M, Qiang H. Clinical effects of acupuncture after surgical operation in patients with prolapse of the lumbar intervertebral disc. J Tradit Chin Med. 2008;28(4):250-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(09)60003-0
- Carragee E. Indications for lumbar microdiskectomy. Instr Course Lect. 2002;51:223-8.
- Mobbs RJ, Phan K, Malham G, Seex K, Rao PJ. Lumbar interbody fusion: techniques, indications and comparison of interbody fusion options including PLIF, TLIF, MI-TLIF, OLIF/ATP, LLIF and ALIF. J Spine Surg. 2015;1(1):2-18.
- Teyssedou S, Saget M, Pries P. Kyphopasty and vertebroplasty. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2014;100(1 Suppl):S169-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2013.11.005
- Poppert EM, Kulig K. Rehabilitation following lumbar diskectomy. Phys Ther. 2013;93(5):591-6. https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20120087
- Gilmore SJ, McClelland JA, Davidson M. Physiotherapeutic interventions before and after surgery for degenerative lumbar conditions: a systematic review. Physiotherapy. 2015;101(2):111-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physio.2014.06.007
- World Health Organization. International classification of functioning, disability and health: ICF. 1st ed. Geneva: World Health Organization. 2001.
- Hebert JJ, Fritz JM, Thackeray A, Koppenhaver SL, Teyhen D. Early multimodal rehabilitation following lumbar disc surgery: a randomised clinical trial comparing the effects of two exercise programmes on clinical outcome and lumbar multifidus muscle function. Br J Sports Med. 2015;49(2):100-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2013-092402
- Parker SL, Mendenhall SK, Godil SS, Sivasubramanian P, Cahill K, Ziewacz J, McGirt MJ. Incidence of low back pain after lumbar discectomy for herniated disc and its effect on patient-reported outcomes. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015;473(6):1988-99. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-015-4193-1
- Jeon CH, Kim DJ, Kim SK, Kim DJ, Lee HM, Park HJ. Validation in the cross-cultural adaptation of the Korean version of the Oswestry Disability Index. J Korean Med Sci. 2006;21(6):1092-7. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2006.21.6.1092
- Jo SA, Park MH, Jo I, Ryu SH, Han C. Usefulness of beck depression inventory (BDI) in the Korean elderly population. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2007;22(3):218-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1664
- Kim MH, Cho YS, Uhm WS, Kim S, Bae SC. Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Korean version of the EQ-5D in patients with rheumatic diseases. Qual Life Res. 2005;14(5):1401-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-004-5681-z
- Bible JE, Biswas D, Devin CJ. Postoperative infections of the spine. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2011;40(12):E264-71.
- Maruo K, Berven SH. Outcome and treatment of postoperative spine surgical site infections: predictors of treatment success and failure. J Orthop Sci. 2014;19(3):398-404. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00776-014-0545-z
- Herrera Herrera I, Moreno de la Presa R, Gonzalez Gutierrez R, Barcena Ruiz E, Garcia Benassi JM. Evaluation of the postoperative lumbar spine. Radiologia. 2013;55(1):12-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rx.2011.12.004
- Ozkara GO, Ozgen M, Ozkara E, Armagan O, Arslantas A, Atasoy MA. Effectiveness of physical therapy and rehabilitation programs starting immediately after lumbar disc surgery. Turk Neurosurg. 2015;25(3):372-9.
- Compagnone C, Tagliaferri F; Scrambler Therapy Group. Chronic pain treatment and scrambler therapy: a multicenter retrospective analysis. Acta Biomed. 2015;86(2):149-56.
- McGregor AH, Dore CJ, Morris TP, Morris S, Jamrozik K. Function after spinal treatment, exercise and rehabilitation (FASTER): improving the functional outcome of spinal surgery. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2010;11:17. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-11-17
- Puvanesarajah V, Liauw JA, Lo SF, Lina IA, Witham TF, Gottschalk A. Analgesic therapy for major spine surgery. Neurosurg Rev. 2015;38(3):407-18; discussion 419. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10143-015-0605-7
- Tang S, Mo Z, Zhang R. Acupuncture for lumbar disc herniation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acupunct Med. 2018;36(2):62-70. https://doi.org/10.1136/acupmed-2016-011332
- Li JB, Xiong QL, Qu SK, Qi F, Zhang L, Wang Q, Bao K, Li FB. Discussion on the regular of acupoint selection of acupuncture and moxibustion for lumbar disc herniation during recent 10 years. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2013;33(7):668-72.
- Qin Z, Liu X, Wu J, Zhai Y, Liu Z. Effectiveness of acupuncture for treating sciatica: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:425108.
- Mu JP, Liu L, Fang W, Cheng JM, Ao JB, Zhou LZ, Wang J, Liao H. Systematic review of needle-knife therapy for lumbar intervertebral disc protrusion. Zhongguo Zhongyiyao Xinxi Zazhi. 2010;17:31-35.
- Yuk DI, Sung IS, Song DH, Kim MJ, Hong KE. Clinical study of lumbar spinestenosis treated by using acupotomy combined with oriental medical treatments. J Pharmacopuncture. 2013;16(3):46-51.
- Shin JS, Lee J, Kim MR, Jung J, Shin BC, Lee MS, Ha IH. The short-term effect of integrated complementary and alternative medicine treatment in inpatients diagnosed with lumbar intervertebral disc herniation: a prospective observational study. J Altern Complement Med. 2016;22(7):533-43. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2014.0368
- Ma Y, Cui J, Huang M, Meng K, Zhao Y. Effects of Duhuojisheng Tang and combined therapies on prolapse of lumbar intervertebral disc: a systematic review of randomized control trails. J Tradit Chin Med. 2013;33(2):145-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(13)60117-X
- Yang PR, Liang HF, Chu YH, Chen PC, Lin YY. Frequencies and prescription patterns of traditional Chinese medicine use among elderly patients in Taiwan: a population-based study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;169:328-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.04.046
- Chen BJ, Wang AM, Wang ZP, Huang JF. The clinical effects of Buyanghuanwu Tang on prmoting recovery of low limbs numbness in patients with lumbar surgery. Journal of Sichuan of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2008;26:93.
- Kang SL. Buyanghuanwu Tang in the treatment of 73 patients with lumbar vertebral canal stenosis. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2010;51(Suppl 2):195-6.
- Wang HW, Liou KT, Wang YH, Lu CK, Lin YL, Lee IJ, Huang ST, Tsai YH, Cheng YC, Lin HJ, Shen YC. Deciphering the neuroprotective mechanisms of Bu-yang Huan-wu decoction by an integrative neurofunctional and genomic approach in ischemic stroke mice. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;138(1):22-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.06.033
- Lee J, Shin JS, Lee YJ, Kim MR, Choi A, Lee JH, Shin KM, Shin BC, Cho JH, Ha IH. Long-term course of failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS) patients receiving integrative Korean Medicine treatment: a 1 year prospective observational multicenter study. PLoS One. 2017;12(1):e0170972. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0170972
- Lee GE, Yang HD, Jeon WK, Kang Hw. A study on the system of collaborative practice between Korean Traditional Medicine and Western Medicine for dementia based on a case study. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2013:24(3):211-28. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2013.24.3.211
- Aalto TJ, Leinonen V, Herno A, Alen M, Kroger H, Turunen V, Savolainen S, Saari T, Airaksinen O. Postoperative rehabilitation does not improve functional outcome in lumbar spinal stenosis: a prospective study with 2-year postoperative follow-up. Eur Spine J. 2011;20(8):1331-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-011-1781-y
- McGregor AH, Probyn K, Cro S, Dore CJ, Burton AK, Balague F, Pincus T, Fairbank J. Rehabilitation following surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(12):CD009644.
- Chen CY, Chang CW, Lee ST, Chen YC, Tang SF, Cheng CH, Lin YH. Is rehabilitation intervention during hospitalization enough for functional improvements in patients undergoing lumbar decompression surgery? A prospective randomized controlled study. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015;129 Suppl 1:S41-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0303-8467(15)30011-1
- Mannion AF, Denzler R, Dvorak J, Muntener M, Grob D. A randomised controlled trial of post-operative rehabilitation after surgical decompression of the lumbar spine. Eur Spine J. 2007;16(8):1101-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-007-0399-6
- Flanagan SP, Kulig K, Clinresnet P. Time courses of adaptation in lumbar extensor performance of patients with a single-level microdiscectomy during a physical therapy exercise program. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010;40(6):336-44. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2010.3141