- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Forty-one Cases of Rotator Cuff Injuries Treated by Complex Korean Medicine Treatment: A Retrospective Review
한방 복합치료를 진행한 회전근개 파열 환자 치험 41예: 후향적 관찰 연구
- Lee, Gi-Eon ;
- Kim, Young-Ik ;
- Jo, Kyeong-Sang ;
- Han, Si-Hoon ;
- Kim, Min-Kyun ;
- Min, Boo-Ki ;
- Huh, Suk-Won ;
- Lim, Han-Bit ;
- Jeong, Yun-Jae
- Received : 2018.09.15
- Accepted : 2018.10.15
- Published : 2018.10.31
Objectives The purpose of this study is to report the improvement of complex Korean Medicine treatment for patients with rotator cuff injuries and determine the clinical improvement by number of damaged lesion. Methods Forty-one patients who diagnosed with rotator cuff injury were included in the retrospective study. Patients were treated with acupuncture, electroacupuncture and pharmacopuncture. Clinical outcomes were assessed using Numeric Rating Scale (NRS), Shoulder Pain and Disablity Index (SPADI) and EuroQol-5 Dimension Index (EQ-5D Index). Results Both NRS and SPADI scores were significantly reduced after treatment (p<0.01), but EQ-5D for assessing quality of life and clinical improvement by number of damaged lesion were no significant improvement (p>0.05). Conclusions These results show that patients with rotator cuff injuries could gain improvement from complex Korean Medicine. Further research is required to confirm the effectiveness of Korean Medicine treatment.
Korean Traditional Medicine;Acupuncture;Rotator cuff injuries;Shoulder pain
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. Clinical Statistical Statistics Index [Internet] 2018 [cited 2018 Aug 29]. Available from: URL: http://opendata.hira.or.kr/op/opc/olap4thDsInfo.do.
- Neer CS 2nd. Impingement lesions. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983;(173):70-7.
- Song HS. Rotator cuff disease: pathophysiology. Journal of Korean Arthroscopy Soc. 2005;9(1):29-33.
- Zingg PO, Jost B, Sukthankar A, Buhler M, Pfirrmann CW, Gerber C. Clinical and structural outcomes of nonoperative management of massive rotator cuff tears. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(9):1928-34.
- Keener JD, Galatz LM, Teefey SA, Middleton WD, Steger-May K, Stobbs-Cucchi G, Patton R, Yamaguchi K. A prospective evaluation of survivorship of asymptomatic degenerative rotator cuff tears. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015;97(2):89-98. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.N.00099
- Lim JY, Choi JE, Kim MJ, Kim SH, Kim YJ, Do HK, Seo SW, Lee SU, Lee WH, Lee JH, Jang SN, Chung SG, Choi SG, Hwang JS. Comparative effectiveness research of conservative treatment and rotator cuff repair for the patient with rotator cuff tears. NECA. 2015:1-135.
- Lee WH, Do HK, Lee JH, Kim BR, Noh JH, Choi SH, Chung SG, Lee SU, Choi JE, Kim S, Kim MJ, Lim JY. Clinical outcomes of conservative treatment and arthroscopic repair of rotator cuff tears: a retrospective observational study. Ann Rehabil Med. 2016;40(2):252-62. https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2016.40.2.252
- Kukkonen J, Joukainen A, Lehtinen J, Mattila KT, Tuominen EK, Kauko T, Aarimaa V. Treatment of non-traumatic rotator cuff tears: A randomised controlled trial with one-year clinical results. Bone Joint J. 2014;96-B(1):75-81. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.96B1.32168
- Moosmayer S, Lund G, Seljom US, Haldorsen B, Svege IC, Hennig T, Pripp AH, Smith HJ. Tendon repair compared with physiotherapy in the treatment of rotator cuff tears: a randomized controlled study in 103 cases with a five-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014;96(18):1504-14. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.M.01393
- Moosmayer S, Lund G, Seljom U, Svege I, Hennig T, Tariq R, Smith HJ. Comparison between surgery and physiotherapy in the treatment of small and medium- sized tears of the rotator cuff: a randomised controlled study of 103 patients with one-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010;92(1):83-91.
- Itoi E. Surgical repair did not improve functional outcomes more than conservative treatment for degenerative rotator cuff tears. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016;98(4):314. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.15.01240
- Neer CS 2nd. Anterior acromioplasty for the chronic impingement syndrome in the shoulder: a preliminary report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1972;54(1):41-50. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197254010-00003
- Park MJ, Min SJ, You KG, Yeam SR, Kwon YD, Kim SH. A clinical case of the oriental medical treatment for the patient with partial tear of rotator cuff. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2012;22(2):247-54.
- Choi YJ, Moon BH, Lee JH, Shin DJ, Yun YU, Chung JH, Cheong SH, Yoo SB. A case report of supraspinatus tendinitis and subdeltoid bursitis patient improved by Korean Medicine treatment with Shinbaro3 pharmacopuncture. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2015;25(4): 161-7. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.4.161
- Kim HS, Heo WY, Hyun MK, Kim JS, Gang A. Four case of partial tear of supraspinatus tendon treated by acupotomy combined oriental medical treatments. The Acupuncture. 2014;31(1):167-76. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2014017
- Lee GJ, Lee BY, Song YK, Lim HH. The case report of Chuna treatment on supraspinatus tendinitis with kyphotic cervical curvature. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerve. 2008;3(2):43-52.
- Lee SJ, Park JH, Nam SH, Kang JH. Two clinical cases of active release technique with Koeran Medicine treatment for supraspinatus tendon partial tear. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves 2014;9(1):89-101.
- Song KC, Seo JY, Song SB, Cho MU, Choi BS, Ryu WH, Kim DR, Jeon YH. A case report on the improvement of range of motion and pain relief for patients diagnosed with supraspinatus tendinosis, subacromial bursitis and subdeltoid bursitis treated with megadose Shinbaro pharmacopuncture. Journal of Haehwa Medicine. 2017;26(1):73-80.
- Wall PD, Melzack R. Textbook of pain. 3rd ed. Seoul: Jungdam Publication. 2002:483-4.
- Beaton DE, Richads RR. Assesing the reliabilty and responsiveness of 5 shoulder questionnaires. J shoulder Elbow Surg. 1998;7(6):565-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(98)90002-7
- EuroQol Group. EQ-5D-5L Crosswalk value sets [Internet] 2017 [cited 2018 Sep 4]. Available from: URL: https://euroqol.org/eq-5d-instruments/eq-5d-5l-about/valuation-standard-value-sets/crosswalk-index-value-calculator/.
- Lambers Heerspink FO, van Raay JJ, Koorevaar RC, van Eerden PJ, Westerbeek RE, van't Riet E, van den Akker-Scheek I, Diercks RL. Comparing surgical repair with conservative treatment for degenerative rotator cuff tears: a randomized controlled trial. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015;24(8):1274-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2015.05.040
- McElvany MD, McGoldrick E, Gee AO, Neradilek MB, Matsen FA 3rd. Rotator cuff repair: published evidence on factors associated with repair integrity and clinical outcome. Am J Sports Med. 2015;43(2):491-500. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546514529644
- Moosmayer S, Tariq R, Stiris M, Smith HJ. The natural history of asymptomatic rotator cuff tears: a three-year follow-up of fifty cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013;95(14):1249-55. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.L.00185
- Tashjian RZ. Epidemiology, natural history, and indications for treatment of rotator cuff tears. Clin Sports Med. 2012;31(4):589-604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csm.2012.07.001
- Chun JM. Pathophysiology of the rotator cuff tear. J Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society. 2006;9(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.5397/CiSE.2006.9.1.001
- Son MS, KiM JD. 2013 National Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook. Seoul:Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service, National Health Insurance Service. 2014:376-555.