- Volume 42 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of supportive periodontal therapy on long-term implant survival rate
- Choi, So-Jeong (School of Dentistry, Dental Science Research Institute, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Ok-Su (Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Dental Science Research Institute, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2018.09.03
- Accepted : 2018.11.27
- Published : 2018.12.31
The aim of this study was to determine the condition of supportive periodontal therapy (SPT) in implant patients and the effect of SPT on implant long-term survival. Implants placed at the Dept. of Periodontology, Chonnam National University Dental Hospital over a 5-year period, were traced for up to 8 years. Patients who had visited the hospital at least once a year were defined as regular SPT, and patients who were treated by active periodontal therapy were defined as patients with periodontitis. Kaplan-Meier survival analysis was performed based on the observation periods, and the effect of SPT and history of periodontitis on implant survival assessed by chisquare test. A total of 183 patients (age: 21-91, 98 males and 85 females), and 508 implants were used for this study. Three hundred eight implants were under SPT and 87 implants was under regular SPT. For the patients with periodontitis 136 implants were placed. The 5-year survival rate was 94.8%. The overall survival rate in patients who received SPT was 97.1% and 91.0% for those who did not (p=0.004). The survival rate in patients who received regular SPT was 97.7%, and 96.8% for patients received irregular SPT. The survival rate was 93.4% in patients with periodontitis and 95.2% in patients without periodontitis. Among patients with periodontitis, the survival rate was 100.0% in patients who received regular SPT and 89.2% for irregular SPT (p=0.012). These results suggest that regular SPT improves implant survival rate and is more effective in patients with periodontitis.
- Lavelle CL. Mucosal seal around endosseous dental implants. J Oral Implantol 1981;9:357-371.
- Lindhe J, Berglundh T, Ericsson I, Liljenberg B, Marinello C. Experimental breakdown of peri-implant and periodontal tissues. A study in the beagle dog. Clin Oral Implants Res 1992;3:9-16. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0501.1992.030102.x. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0501.1992.030102.x
- Heitz-Mayfield LJ, Lang NP. Comparative biology of chronic and aggressive periodontitis vs. peri-implantitis. Periodontol 2000 2010;53:167-181. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0757.2010.00348.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2010.00348.x
- Fransson C, Lekholm U, Jemt T, Berglundh T. Prevalence of subjects with progressive bone loss at implants. Clin Oral Implants Res 2005;16:440-446. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0501.2005.01137.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2005.01137.x
- Roos-Jansåker AM, Lindahl C, Renvert H, Renvert S. Nineto fourteen-year follow-up of implant treatment. Part II: presence of peri-implant lesions. J Clin Periodontol 2006;33:290-295. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2006.00906.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2006.00906.x
- Ramfjord SP, Morrison EC, Burgett FG, Nissle RR, Shick RA, Zann GJ, Knowles JW. Oral hygiene and maintenance of periodontal support. J Periodontol 1982;53:26-30. doi: 10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.206. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19220.127.116.11
- Rinke S, Ohl S, Ziebolz D, Lange K, Eickholz P. Prevalence of periimplant disease in partially edentulous patients: a practice-based cross-sectional study. Clin Oral Implants Res 2011;22:826-833. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0501.2010.02061.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2010.02061.x
- Hardt CR, Grondahl K, Lekholm U, Wennstrom JL. Outcome of implant therapy in relation to experienced loss of periodontal bone support: a retrospective 5- year study. Clin Oral Implants Res 2002;13:488-494. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0501.2002.130507.x. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0501.2002.130507.x
- Karoussis IK, Salvi GE, Heitz-Mayfield LJ, Bragger U, Hammerle CH, Lang NP. Long-term implant prognosis in patients with and without a history of chronic periodontitis: a 10-year prospective cohort study of the ITI Dental Implant System. Clin Oral Implants Res 2003;14:329-339. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0501.000.00934.x. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0501.000.00934.x
- Albrektsson T, Zarb G, Worthington P, Eriksson AR. The long-term efficacy of currently used dental implants: a review and proposed criteria of success. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 1986;1:11-25.
- Rosenberg ES, Cho SC, Elian N, Jalbout ZN, Froum S, Evian CI. A comparison of characteristics of implant failure and survival in periodontally compromised and periodontally healthy patients: a clinical report. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2004;19:873-879.
- Lindhe J, Nyman S. Long-term maintenance of patients treated for advanced periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol 1984;11:504-514. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.1984.tb00902.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1984.tb00902.x
- Axelsson P, Lindhe J. Effect of controlled oral hygiene procedures on caries and periodontal disease in adults. Results after 6 years. J Clin Periodontol 1981;8:239-248. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.1981.tb02035.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1981.tb02035.x
- Jung RE, Pjetursson BE, Glauser R, Zembic A, Zwahlen M, Lang NP. A systematic review of the 5-year survival and complication rates of implant-supported single crowns. Clin Oral Implants Res 2008;19:119-30. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0501.2007.01453.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2007.01453.x
- Rosling B, Nyman S, Lindhe J, Jern B. The healing potential of the periodontal tissues following different techniques of periodontal surgery in plaque-free dentitions. A 2-year clinical study. J Clin Periodontol 1976;3:233-250. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.1976.tb00042.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1976.tb00042.x
- Axelsson P, Nystrom B, Lindhe J. The long-term effect of a plaque control program on tooth mortality, caries and periodontal disease in adults. Results after 30 years of maintenance. J Clin Periodontol 2004;31:749-757. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2004.00563.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2004.00563.x
- Silverstein LH, Kurtzman GM. Oral hygiene and maintenance of dental implants. Dent Today 2006;25:70-75.
- Zarb GA, Albrektsson T. Consensus report: towards optimized treatment outcomes for dental implants. J Prosthet Dent 1998;80:641. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3913(98)70048-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(98)70048-4
- van Steenberghe D, Quirynen M, Naert I. Survival and success rates with oral endosseous implants. In: editors. Proceedings of the 3rd European Workshop on Periodontology. Berlin: Quintessence Publishing Co; 1999. p. 242-254.