- Volume 50 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Numerical analysis of the electromagnetic force for design optimization of a rectangular direct current electromagnetic pump
- Lee, Geun Hyeong (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Hee Reyoung (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2018.02.27
- Accepted : 2018.04.11
- Published : 2018.08.25
The force of a direct current (DC) electromagnetic pump used to transport liquid lithium was analyzed to optimize its geometrical and electrical parameters by numerical simulation. In a heavy-ion accelerator, which is being developed in Korea, a liquid lithium film is utilized for its high charge-stripping efficiency for heavy ions of uranium. A DC electromagnetic pump with a flow rate of
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- A.U. Gutierrez, C.E. Heckathorn, Electromagnetic Pumps for Liquid Metals, Naval Postgraduate School, California, 1965.
- D. Kim, J. Hong, T. Lee, Design of DC conduction pump for PGSFR active decay heat removal system, in: Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Spring Meeting, Korea, 2014.
- F. Marti, P. Guetschow, Y. Momozaki, J.A. Nolen, Development of a liquid lithium charge stripper for FRIB, in: Proceedings of HIAT2015, Japan, 2015.
- L.R. Blake, Conduction and induction pumps for liquid metals, Proc. IEE Part A Power Eng. 104 (13) (1957) 49-67.
- C. Wagner, Theoretical analysis of the current density distribution in electrolytic cells, J. Electrochem. Soc. 98 (3) (1951) 116-128. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2778113
- T. Oka, N. Kawasaki, S. Fukui, J. Ogawa, T. Sato, T. Terasawa, Y. Itoh, R. Yabuno, Magnetic field distribution of permanent magnet magnetized by static magnetic field generated by HTS bulk magnet, IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 22 (3) (2012) 9502304. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2011.2179510
- M. Hughes, K.A. Pericleous, M. Cross, The numerical modelling of DC electromagnetic pump and brake flow, Appl. Math. Model. 19 (12) (1995) 713-723. https://doi.org/10.1016/0307-904X(95)00110-6
- R.S. Baker, M.J. Tessier, Handbook of Electromagnetic Pump Technology, Elsevier, New York, 1987.
- G.H. Lee, H.R. Kim, Numerical investigation and comparison of the rectangular, cylindrical, and helical-type DC electromagnetic pumps, Magnetohydrodynamics 53 (2) (2017) 429-438. https://doi.org/10.22364/mhd.53.2.22
- D.A. Watt, The design of electromagnetic pumps for liquid metals, Proc. IEE Part A Power Eng. 106 (26) (1959) 94-103.
- B.K. Nashine, S.K. Dash, K. Gurumurthy, M. Rajan, G. Vaidyanathan, Design and testing of DC conduction pump for sodium cooled fast reactor, in: 14th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006.
- N. Bennecib, S. Drid, R. Abdessemed, Numerical investigation of flow in a new DC pump MHD, J. Appl. Fluid Mech. 2 (2) (2009) 23-28.
- R. W, Ohse Handbook of Thermodynamic and Transport Properties of Alkali Metals, Blackwell Scientific, Oxford, 1985.
- B.K. Nashine, S.K. Dash, K. Gurumurthy, U. Kale, V.D. Sharma, R. Prabhaker, M. Rajan, G. Vaidyanathan, Performance testing of indigenously developed DC conduction pump for sodium cooled fast reactor, Indian J. Eng. Mater. Sci. 14 (2007) 209-214.
- Crane Co. (US), Flow of Fluids Through Valves, Fittings, and Pipe, Crane Co., Technical Paper No. 410, Chicago (IL), 1977.
- N. Takorabet, Computation of force density inside the channel of an electromagnetic pump by Hermite projection, IEEE Trans. Magn. 42 (3) (2006) 430-433. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2005.863085
- G. Xiao-Fan, Y. Yong, Z. Xiao-Jing, Analytic expression of magnetic field distribution of rectangular permanent magnets, Appl. Math. Mech. 25 (3) (2004) 297-306. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02437333
- A. Thess, E.V. Votyakov, Y. Kolesnikov, Lorentz force velocimetry, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96 (16) (2006) 164501. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.96.164501
- C.Y. Ho, T.K. Chu, Electrical Resistivity and Thermal Conductivity of Nine Selected AISI Stainless Steels, CINDAS Report 45, Washington, 1977.
- A. Thess, E. Votyakov, B. Knaepen, O. Zikanov, Theory of the Lorentz force flowmeter, New J. Phys. 9 (8) (2007) 299. https://doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/9/8/299