- Volume 54 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Adhesion Friction Characteristics of Rubber for Tire Tread
- Oh, Yumrak (Hankook Tire & Technology Co., Ltd.) ;
- Jeon, Seong-hee (Hankook Tire & Technology Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Dong Youm (Hankook Tire & Technology Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Hak-Joo (Hankook Tire & Technology Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Jeong-Heon (Hankook Tire & Technology Co., Ltd.)
- Received : 2019.09.19
- Accepted : 2019.10.16
- Published : 2019.12.31
Rubber friction properties include adhesion friction characteristics of the interface, hysteresis friction characteristics originating from repeated rubber deformations, and cohesion friction characteristics due to wear and tear. Cohesion friction is generally sufficiently small (< 3%) that it can be ignored, whereas adhesion friction has a relatively large contribution of 15%, but has not been investigated thoroughly. Therefore, through an adhesion friction study, the adhesion mechanism was examined and the relationship between friction characteristics and adhesion friction on dry surfaces was derived. The wet grip characteristics of tread rubber are fully described by the hysteresis characteristics of tires, but friction characteristics on dry roads are difficult to determine without adhesion factors. The results presented herein demonstrate that the combination of hysteresis and adhesion properties in the tread rubber sufficiently explained the characteristics of the dry grip. Based on the results of this study, technologies will be developed to determine the key factors governing adhesion friction characteristics and improve dry tire braking performance.
- P. Moldenhauer, R. NEPP, and M. Kroger, Plastics, Rubber and Composites, 40, 169 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1179/1743289811Y.0000000001
- H. W. Kummer, "Unified theory of rubber and tire friction. Pennsylvania Uni.", Engineering Research Bulletin B-94, 1966.
- K. L. Johnson, K. Kendall, and A. D. Roberts, Proc. R. Soc. London A., 324, 301 (1971). https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1971.0141
- M. Kroger and K. Popp, "Rauheitseinfluss auf die Adhasion von Elastomeren", PAMM Proc. Appl. Math. Mech., 4, 99 (2004).
- M. Kroger and S. Nitzsche, "Adhesion of Rubber on Smooth and Rough Surfaces", Kautschuk Gummi Kunststoffe, 4, 28 (2018).
- M. Kroger, "Adhesion Effects in the Contact between Rubber and Counterpart", ECCMR VIII San Sebastian, 71 (2013).
- P. Andersson, "Modelling Interfacial Details in Tyre/Road Contact-Adhesion Forces and Nonlinear Contact Stiffness", PhD thesis, Chalmers Uni. of Tech., Gothenborg, Sweden (2005).
- P. Moldenhauer, M. Lindner, M. Kroger, and K. Popp, "Modelling of Hysteresis and Adhesion Friction of Rubber in Time Domain", Constitutive Models for Rubber IV (ECCMR), Stockholm, 515 (2005).