- Volume 20 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Function and Quantitative Somatosensory Correlation Analysis of Temporomendibular Joint according to Forward Head Posture
전방머리자세에 변화에 따른 턱관절 기능 및 정량적 체성감각의 상관분석
- Lee, Eun Sang (Division of Sport Rehabilitation Center, Gwang-ju Suwan Hospital)
- 이은상 (광주 수완병원 스포츠 재활센터)
- Received : 2019.08.01
- Accepted : 2019.12.06
- Published : 2019.12.31
This study examined the correlation between the forward head posture (FHP), temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD), and temporomandibular joint quantitative somatosensory sensation. This study examined the correlation between the temporomandibular joint function and somatosensory sensation according to the change in FHP after the intervention on the head posture in 62 subjects (22.15 ± 2.56 years) Biofeedback training was administered to the FHP, which was performed 12 times for a total of four weeks. To assess the FHP, the craneovertebral angle (CVA) was examined. The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) function was measured by the Therapeutic Range of Motion Scale and the left and right lateral deviation, and the sensation of vibration threshold was measured to confirm the change in somatic sensation. Multiple regression analysis was performed to confirm the influence of each variable and Pearson's correlation analysis was performed to assess the correlation. Changes in the temporal joint function (p<.001) and somatic sensation (p<.001) were correlated significantly with the changes in CVA. These results show that there is a significant correlation between the frontal head position, TMJ function, and somatosensory sensation. These results provide a new paradigm for the treatment of jaw joints for patients suffering from TMD and provide a basis for the future treatment of the temporomandibular joint.
- J. K. Shin, "The study on the relevance of right posture evaluation and sub-healthv", Journal of the Korean data & information science society, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp.987-995, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2018.29.4.987 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2018.29.4.987
- Y. J. Moon, "Changes of Upper Extremity Muscle on the Hourly with Smart-phone Use - Focused on Muscle Activity and Median Frequency -", Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp.341, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.09.9.3.341 https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.09.9.3.341
- Y. J. Choi, R. Hwang, "Effect of Cervical and Thoracic Stretching and Strengthening Exercise Program on Forward Head Posture", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp.293-300, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/G704-001475.2011.11.10.048 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.293
- A. K. Akodu, S. R. Akinbo, Q. O. Young, "Correlation among smartphone addiction, craniovertebral angle, scapular dyskinesis, and selected anthropometric variables in physiotherapy undergraduates", Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp.528-534, Dec 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtumed.2018.09.001v https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtumed.2018.09.001
- D. Y. Won, S. Y. Kim, Y. S. Kim, J. H. Park, Y. K. Ahn, Y. K. Lee, E. Y. Jang, S. J. Jeong, S. H. Choi, I. H. Hyeong, "The effects of the neck extensor strength exercise and the thoracic extensor strength exercise on the forward head posture and the cervical range of motion", The journal of Korean academy of physical therapy science, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp.41-49, 2011.
- S. L. Kraus, "TMJ disorders: management of the craniomandibular complex": Churchill Livingstone, 1998.
- J. Saal, "The new back school prescription: stabilization training. Part II", Occupational medicine (Philadelphia, Pa), Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.33-42, 1992.
- B. Shaghayegh Fard, A. Ahmadi, N. Maroufi, J. Sarrafzadeh, "Evaluation of forward head posture in sitting and standing positions", European spine journal, Vol. 25, No. 11, pp.3577-3582, Nov 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00586-015-4254-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-015-4254-x
- K. Mekhora, C. Liston, S. Nanthavanij, J. H. Cole, "The effect of ergonomic intervention on discomfort in computer users with tension neck syndrome", International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp.367-379, 2000. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00012-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00012-3
- M. A. Finley, R. Y. Lee, "Effect of sitting posture on 3-dimensional scapular kinematics measured by skin-mounted electromagnetic tracking sensors", Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, Vol. 84, No. 4, pp.563-568, 2003. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2003.50087 https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2003.50087
- E. F. Faulin, C. G. Guedes, P. P. Feltrin, C. M. Joffiley, "Association between temporomandibular disorders and abnormal head postures", Brazilian oral research, Vol. 29, No. 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1807-3107BOR-2015. vol29.0064 https://doi.org/10.1590/1807-3107BOR-2015.vol29.0064
- Sanghoon Jo, "Injection therapy for management of temporomandibullar joint disorders", The Journal of Korean Dental Association, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp.222-232, 2019.
- Y. K. Lee. Epidemiologic characteristics of temporomandibular disorders and association with selected systemic diseases, Dankook University, 2013.
- C. Fernandez-de-las-Penas, F. Galan-del-Rio, C. Alonso-Blanco, R. Jimenez-Garcia, L. Arendt-Nielsen, P. Svensson, "Referred pain from muscle trigger points in the masticatory and neck-shoulder musculature in women with temporomandibular disoders", The Journal of Pain, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp. 1295-1304, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2010.03.005
- J. Y. Kim, "Effects of Deep Cervical Flexors Strengthening Exercise on Cervical-Shoulder Angle, Disability index and pain and in Patients with Chronic Neck Pain," Journal of Korean academy of orthopaedic manual therapy, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.33-37, 2015.
- S. Raine, L. T. Twomey, "Head and shoulder posture variations in 160 asymptomatic women and men", Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, Vol. 78, No. 11, pp.1215-1223, Nov 1997. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0003-9993(97)90335-x https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90335-X
- D. S. Saund, D. Pearson, T. Dietrich, "Reliability and validity of self-assessment of mouth opening: a validation study", BMC oral health, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp.48, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-12-48 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-12-48
- R. Singh, K. Rao, D. Anap, C. Iyer, S. Khatri, "The short term effect of TheraBite(R) on temporomandibular dysfunction: a case study", J Palliative Care Med, Vol. 1, No. 102, pp. 2, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.4172/jpmr.1000102 https://doi.org/10.4172/jpmr.1000102
- M. Ushio, T. Murofushi, Y. Chihara, S. Iwasaki, T. Yamaguchi, K. Kaga, "Testing of vibratory thresholds as a clinical examination for patients with unsteadiness due to somatosensory disorders", Gait & posture, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp.552-558, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2008.03.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2008.03.010
- M. Blankenburg, H. Boekens, T. Hechler, C. Maier, E. Krumova, A. Scherens, W. Magerl, F. Aksu, B. Zernikow, "Reference values for quantitative sensory testing in children and adolescents: developmental and gender differences of somatosensory perception", Pain, Vol. 149, No. 1, pp.76-88, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.01.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.01.011
- E. Lee, J. Cho, S. Lee, "Short-Foot Exercise Promotes Quantitative Somatosensory Function in Ankle Instability: A Randomized Controlled Trial", Medical science monitor : international medical journal of experimental and clinical research, Vol. 25, No. pp.618-626, 21 2019. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.12659/msm.912785 https://doi.org/10.12659/msm.912785
- C. Fernandez-de-las-Penas, C. Alonso-Blanco, M. L. Cuadrado, J. A. Pareja, "Forward head posture and neck mobility in chronic tension-type headache: a blinded, controlled study", Cephalalgia : an international journal of headache, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp.314-319, 2006. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2982.2005.01042.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2982.2005.01042.x
- G. T. Clark, E. M. Green, M. R. Dornan, V. F. Flack, "Craniocervical dysfunction levels in a patient sample from a temporomandibular joint clinic", Journal of the American Dental Association, Vol. 115, No. 2, pp. 251-256, 1987. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1987.0231 https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1987.0231
- L. Sonnesen, M. Bakke, B. Solow, "Temporomandibular disorders in relation to craniofacial dimensions, head posture and bite force in children selected for orthodontic treatment", European journal of orthodontics, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.179-192, 2001. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ejo/23.2.179 https://doi.org/10.1093/ejo/23.2.179
- J. P. Okeson, :The American Academy of Orofacial Pain". Chicago, Quintessence. pp. 1-18, 1996.
- H. E. Gonzalez, A. Manns, "Forward head posture: its structural and functional influence on the stomatognathic system, a conceptual study", CRANIO(R), Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.71-80, 1996. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08869634.1996.11745952 https://doi.org/10.1080/08869634.1996.11745952
- R. La Touche, A. Paris-Alemany, H. von Piekartz, J. S. Mannheimer, J. Fernandez-Carnero, M. Rocabado, "The influence of cranio-cervical posture on maximal mouth opening and pressure pain threshold in patients with myofascial temporomandibular pain disorders", The Clinical journal of pain, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp.48-55, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e3181edc157 https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e3181edc157