- Volume 59 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Gestation length in Holstein cow depends on the number and sex of fetuses
- Jeon, Ryoung-Hoon (Department of Theriogenology and Biotechnology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Rho, Gyu-Jin (Department of Theriogenology and Biotechnology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2019.06.25
- Accepted : 2019.10.17
- Published : 2019.12.31
The traditional calculation of gestation length (GL) in Holstein cows relies solely on the insemination day and has a high error rate for actual calving dates. The present study was conducted to develop a more accurate method of estimating GL. Among 3,578 Holstein cows, the number of fetuses had a significant (p < 0.05) effect, with GLs of 282.4 ± 2.5 days for singletons and 276.0 ± 1.6 days for twins. Within the singleton group, the GLs were 284.6 ± 1.9 days for males and 280.3 ± 1.5 days for females, a significant difference (p < 0.05). However, within the twin group, there was no difference in GLs among twin males, twin females, or twins of both sexes. Gestation was significantly shorter for singleton males born from June to August but significantly longer for twin males born in the May to June period (p < 0.05). Neither parity nor housing type was associated with any significant difference in GL. In order to predict the calving dates of Holstein cows accurately and improve their management, calculations should consider the number and sex of fetuses as well as the insemination season.
- Norman HD, Wright JR, Kuhn MT, Hubbard SM, Cole JB, VanRaden PM. Genetic and environmental factors that affect gestation length in dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2009;92:2259- 2269. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0982
- Lee DH, Lee WB, Kim JS, Lim JK, Yeo YK, Park YS. Effect of farm, cow parity, AI year and sire on gestation duration in Hanwoo. Korean J Anim Reprod 2001;25:231-235.
- Choi BH, Jin JI, Kwon TH, Kim SS, Jo HT, Kong IK. Effect of recipient breeds on gestation length and birth weight of offspring derived from OPU Hanwoo embryos. Korean J Embryo Transf 2011;26:27-32.
- Zaborski D, Grzesiak W, Szatkowska I, Dybus A, Muszynska M, Jedrzejczak M. Factors affecting dystocia in cattle. Reprod Domest Anim 2009;44:540-551. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2008.01123.x
- Choy YH, Won JI, Yoon HB, Cho KH, Mahboob A, Cho C, Yeon SH, Park B, Yang B. Correlation among calf birth weight, calving difficulty and gestation length in a Korean Holstein dairy cattle herd. Ann Anim Resour Sci 2015;26:85-89. https://doi.org/10.12718/AARS.2015.26.2.85
- Shin WJ, Zheng ZY, Song JY, Ko YG, Shen XJ. Effects of environmental factors on gestation length and birth weight in Korean native and Yanbian yellow cows. Korean J Anim Reprod 1999;23:183-189.
- Han KJ. Effects of environmental factors on reproductive traits in Korean cattle. J Anim Sci Technol 2002;44:191-200. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.2.191
- Hossein-Zadeh NG, Nejati-Javaremi A, Miraei-Ashtiani SR, Kohram H. An observational analysis of twin births, calf stillbirth, calf sex ratio, and abortion in Iranian Holsteins. J Dairy Sci 2008;91:4198-4205. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1079
- Park YS, Kim SS, Kim DH, Park HD. Effects of the in vitro produced Hanwoo blastocyst stage, in vitro culture day and blastocyst grade on the production of calves. Korean J Embryo Transf 2006;21:299-306.
- Suk SH, Sel HS, Kwon EJ, Kim HJ, Jung YK, Song HB. Gestation lengths and offspring's birth weights and sex ratio of the dairy recipients transferred with Hanwoo IVF embryos. Korean J Embryo Transf 2009;24:15-19.
- Echternkamp SE, Gregory KE. Effects of twinning on gestation length, retained placenta, and dystocia. J Anim Sci 1999;77: 39-47. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.77139x
- Kim IH, Kang HG. Effects of twin birth on the occurrence of postpartum disorders, culling and reproductive performance, and its risk factors in dairy cows. J Vet Clin 2011;28:339-343.
- Jeong GY, Park SJ, Kim NH, Baek KS, Jeon BS, Lim HJ, Her TY, Ki KS, Lee GS, Kang SY, Lee HJ, Chang WK, Kim HS. Factors effecting on artificial insemination in multiparturition cattle. Korean J Embryo Transf 2010;25:155-159.
- Nogalski Z, Piwczynski D. Association of length of pregnancy with other reproductive traits in dairy cattle. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2012;25:22-27.
- Kindahl H, Kornmatitsuk B, Konigsson K, Gustafsson H. Endocrine changes in late bovine pregnancy with special emphasis on fetal well-being. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2002; 23:321-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(02)00167-4
- Ryan DP, Boland MP. Frequency of twin births among Holstein-Friesian cows in a warm dry climate. Theriogenology 1991;36:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(91)90428-G
- Silva del Rio N, Stewart S, Rapnicki P, Chang YM, Fricke PM. An observational analysis of twin births, calf sex ratio, and calf mortality in Holstein dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci 2007; 90:1255-1264. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(07)71614-4
- Kim GW, Kim JG. Changes of milk yield and compositions according to parity, milk yield and seasons in dairy cattle. Ann Anim Resour Sci 2017;28:1-8. https://doi.org/10.12718/AARS.2017.28.1.1
- Fitzgerald AM, Ryan DP, Berry DP. Factors associated with the differential in actual gestational age and gestational age predicted from transrectal ultrasonography in pregnant dairy cows. Theriogenology 2015;84:358-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2015.03.023
- Do CH, Cho JS, Cho KH, Yang BS, Yun HB, Lee JS. A study on the relationship between the longevity and profitability of dairy cattle. Korean J Agric Sci 2015;42:245-251. https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2015.42.3.245