- Volume 59 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nailbed malignant melanoma in three dogs
- Jo, Hyoung-Nam (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Suh, Myeong-Won (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Lee, Joo-Ok (Ekklim Anima Hospital) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hoon (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2019.07.12
- Accepted : 2019.10.17
- Published : 2019.12.31
Three 8-12-year-old male cocker spaniels presented with an appendicular mass accompanied by pain, inflammation, lameness, and loss of nail in the digits of the forelimb or hindlimb. A histological examination revealed dermal masses of the digit composed of numerous neoplastic cells with marked pleomorphism and high mitosis. The neoplastic cells showed a strong invasive tendency into the epidermis and adjacent bony tissues, such as distal phalanx. Immunohistochemistry of the neoplastic cells in three masses revealed positive reactions for Melan-A. These three dogs were diagnosed as nailbed malignant melanoma in the digit based on the history, clinical signs, and histopathologic features.
- Goldschmidt MH, Goldschmidt KH. Epithelial and melanocytic tumors of the skin. In: Meuten DJ (ed.). Tumors in Domestic Animals. 5th ed. pp. 123-134, Wiley Blackwell, Ames, 2017.
- Taulescu M, Sevastre B, Marcus I, Moussa R, Bolfa P, Gal A, Cosmina CU, Catoi C. Evaluation of malignancy criterias in dogs melanocytic neoplasms. Bulletin UASVM. Vet Med 2009;66:121-128.
- Han KB, Cho IH, Kim HS, Kim HY. Metastatic malignant melanoma in digit of the dog. Korean J Vet Res 2001;41:227-231.
- Park SA, Yi NY, Jeong MB, Kim WT, Kim SE, Park YW, You MH, Choi MC, Yoon JH, Kim DY, Seo KM. A retrospective study of oral tumors in dogs: 44 cases (2002-2007). J Vet Clin 2009;26:36-40.
- Woo GH, Kim HY, Park JW, Bak EJ, Kim JY, Choi CU. Histopathologic and electron microscopic findings of canine malignant melanoma from the lower limb and digit. Korean J Vet Serv 2007;30:533-538.
- Smedley RC, Spangler WL, Esplin DG, Kitchell BE, Bergman PJ, Ho HY, Bergin IL, Kiupel M. Prognostic markers for canine melanocytic neoplasms: a comparative review of the literature and goals for future investigation. Vet Pathol 2011;48:54-72. https://doi.org/10.1177/0300985810390717
- Spangler WL, Kass PH. The histologic and epidemiologic bases for prognostic considerations in canine melanocytic neoplasia. Vet Pathol 2006;43:136-149. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.43-2-136
- Aronsohn MG, Carpenter JL. Distal extremity melanocytic nevi and malignant melanomas in dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1990;26:605-612.
- Wobeser BK, Kidney BA, Powers BE, Withrow SJ, Mayer MN, Spinato MT, Allen AL. Diagnoses and clinical outcomes associated with surgically amputated canine digits submitted to multiple veterinary diagnostic laboratories. Vet Pathol 2007;44:355-361. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.44-3-355
- Schultheiss PC. Histologic features and clinical outcomes of melanomas of lip, haired skin, and nail bed locations of dogs. J Vet Diagn Invest 2006;18:422-425. https://doi.org/10.1177/104063870601800422
- Ramos-Vara JA, Beissenherz ME, Miller MA, Johnson GC, Pace LW, Fard A, Kottler SJ. Retrospective study of 338 canine oral melanomas with clinical, histologic, and immunohistochemical review of 129 cases. Vet Pathol 2000;37:597-608. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.37-6-597
- Smith SH, Goldschmidt MH, McManus PM. A comparative review of melanocytic neoplasms. Vet Pathol 2002;39:651-678. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.39-6-651
- Henry CJ, Brewer WG Jr, Whitley EM, Tyler JW, Ogilvie GK, Norris A, Fox LE, Morrison WB, Hammer A, Vail DM, Berg J; Veterinary Cooperative Oncology Group (VCOG). Canine digital tumors: a veterinary cooperative oncology group retrospective study of 64 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2005;19:720-724. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2005.tb02751.x
- Smedley RC, Lamoureux J, Sledge DG, Kiupel M. Immunohistochemical diagnosis of canine oral amelanotic melanocytic neoplasms. Vet Pathol 2011;48:32-40. https://doi.org/10.1177/0300985810387447
- Manley CA, Leibman NF, Wolchok JD, Riviere IC, Bartido S, Craft DM, Bergman PJ. Xenogeneic murine tyrosinase DNA vaccine for malignant melanoma of the digit of dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2011;25:94-99. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2010.0627.x