- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Coupled Analysis with Digimat for Realizing the Mechanical Behavior of Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics
유리섬유 강화 플라스틱의 역학적 거동 구현을 위한 Digimat와의 연성해석 연구
- Kim, Young-Man (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chungnam National Univ.) ;
- Kim, Yong-Hwan (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chungnam National Univ.)
- Received : 2019.06.25
- Accepted : 2019.10.08
- Published : 2019.12.31
Finite element method (FEM) is utilized in the development of products to realistically analyze and predict the mechanical behavior of materials in various fields. However, the approach based on the numerical analysis of glass fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP) composites, for which the fiber orientation and strain rate affect the mechanical properties, has proven to be challenging. The purpose of this study is to define and evaluate the mechanical properties of glass fiber reinforced plastic composites using the numerical analysis models of Digimat, a linear, nonlinear multi-scale modeling program for various composite materials such as polymers, rubber, metal, etc. In addition, the aim is to predict the behavior of realistic polymeric composites. In this regard, the tensile properties according to the fiber orientation and strain rate of polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) with short fiber weight fractions of 30wt% among various polymers were investigated using references. Information on the fiber orientation was calculated based on injection analysis using Moldflow software, and was utilized in the finite element model for tensile specimens via a mapping process. LS-Dyna, an explicit commercial finite element code, was used for coupled analysis using Digimat to study the tensile properties of composites according to the fiber orientation and strain rate of glass fibers. In addition, the drawbacks and advantages of LS-DYNA's various anisotropic material models were compared and evaluated for the analysis of glass fiber reinforced plastic composites.
- Bernasconi, A., Cosmi, F. (2008) Local Anisotropy Analysis of Injection Moulded Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composites, Compos. Sci. Technol., 68, pp.2574-2581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2008.05.022
- Brunbaer, J., Mosenbacher, A. (2014) Fundamental Influences on Quasistatic and Cyclic Material Behavior of Short Glass Fiber Reinforced Polyamide Illustrated on Microscopic Scale, J. Appli. Polym. Sci., 131(19).
- De Monte, M., Moosbrugger, E. (2010) Influence of Temperature and Thickness on the Off-axis Behaviour of Short Glass Fibre Reinforced Polyamide 6.6-Quasi-static Loading, Compos. Part A: Appl. Sci. & Manuf., 41(7), pp.859-871. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2010.02.018
- Digimat (2018) User's Manual, Ex-stream Engineering, pp.259-457.
- Dobes, M., Navratil, J. (2017) Computational Material Models for TSCP Plastics Comparison of the Deformation behavior with *MAT_24 and *MAT_SAMP-1 with DIEM, 11th European LS-DYNA Conference.
- Esmaeillou, B., Ferreira, P. (2012) Fatigue Behavior of Polyamide 66/Glass Fiber under Various Kinds of Applied Load, Polymer Compos., 33(4), pp.540-547. https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.22185
- Gullu, A., Ozdemir, A. (2006) Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Glass Fibers on the Mechanical Properties of Polypropylene(PP) and Polyamide 6(PA6) Plastics, Mater. & Des., 27(4), pp.316-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2004.10.013
- Hatt, A. (2014) Anisotropic Modeling of Short Fibers Reinforced Thermoplastics Material with LS-DYNA, 13th LS-DYNA German Forum, Bamberg.
- Hubert, L. (2007) Methodology for Selection of Material Material for Plastics Impact Simulation, 6th European LS-DYNA Conference.
- Kamaya, M. (2016) Ramberge Osgood Type Stresse Strain Curve Estimation using Yield and Ultimate Strengths for Failure Assessments, Int. J. Press. Vessel. & Pip., 137, pp.1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2015.04.001
- Kim, Y.J., Huh, N.S. (2004) On Relevant Ramberg-Osgood Fit to Engineering Nonlinear Fracture Mechanics Analysis, J. Press. Vessel. Technol., 126(3), pp.277-283. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1760767
- Korte, W., Pazour, S. (2016) Potential of MAT15 7 for Short Fiber-reinforced Injection Molded Plastic Components, LS-DYNA Forum.
- Linn, J. (2005) The Folgar-Tucker Model as a Differential Algebraic System for Fiber Orientation Calculation, ITWM, 75, pp.2-4.
- LS-DYNA (2016) R9.0 KEYWORD USER'S MANU AL-Material Models, LSTC, 2-79-2-807.
- Mortazavian, S. (2015) Fatigue Behavior and Modeling of Short Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites, Eng.D., University of Toledo, p.409.
- Mortazavian, S., Fatemi, A. (2017) Tensile behavior and Modeling of Short Fiver-reinforced Polymer Composites including Temperature and Strain Rate Effects, J. Thermoplast. Compos. Mater., 30(10), pp.1414-1437. https://doi.org/10.1177/0892705716632863
- Park, J.M., Kim, H.D. (2015) Properties of Randomly Oriented Chopped E-glass Reinforced Unsaturated Polyester based Resin Composite, Korean Soc. Dyers & Finish., 9, pp.165-174.
- Pierantoni, M., De Monte, M. (2011) Viscoelastic Material behaviour of PBT-GF30 under Thermo-Mechanical Cyclic Loading, Proced. Eng., 10, pp.2141-2146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.04.354
- Schaaf, A., De Monte, M. (2014) Life Estimation Methodology for Short Fiber Reinforced Polymers under Thermo-Mechanical Loading in Automotive Applications, Mater. Sci. & Eng. Technol., 46(2), pp.214-228.
- Tanaka, K., Kitano, T. (2014) Effect of Fiber Orientation on Fatigue Crack Propagation in Short-fiber Reinforced Plastics, Eng. Fract. Mech., 123, pp.44-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2014.03.019
- Thomason, J.L. (1996) The Influence of Fibre Length and Concentration on the Properties of Glass Fibre Reinforced Polypropylene, Compos. Part A: Appl. Sci. & Manuf., 27(6), pp.447-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/1359-835X(95)00053-5
- Thomason, J.L. (1999) The Influence of Fibre Properties of the Performance of Glass Fibre Reinforced Polyamide 6,6, Compos. Sci. Technol, 59, pp.2315-2328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(99)00083-4
- Thomason, J.L. (2006) Structure-Property Relationships in Glass-reinforced Polyamide, Part 1: The Effects of Fiber Content, Polym. Compos., 27, pp.552-562. https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.20226
- Wang, Z., Zhou, Y. (2002) Effects of Temperature and Strain Rate on the Tensile behavior of Short Fiber Reinforced Polyamide-6. Polym. Compos., 23(5), pp.858-871. https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.10484
- Zhou, Y., Mallick, P.K. (2005) A Non-linear Damage Model for the Tensile behavior of an Injection Molded Short E-glass Fiber Reinforced Polyamide-6,6. Mater. Sci. & Eng.: A, 393(1), pp.303-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2004.10.038