- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Soil-Structure Interaction Responses of LNG Storage Tank Subjected to Vertical Seismic Excitation Depending on Foundation Type
기초형식에 따른 LNG 저장탱크의 지반-구조물 상호작용을 고려한 수직방향 지진응답 분석
- Son, Il-Min (Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Graduate School, Chonnam Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jae-Min (Department of Civil Engineering, Chonnam Univ.)
- Received : 2019.08.24
- Accepted : 2019.08.30
- Published : 2019.12.31
We investigate the effect of soil-structure interaction (SSI) on the response of LNG storage tanks to vertical seismic excitation depending on the type of foundation. An LNG storage tank with a diameter of 71 m on a clay layer with a thickness of 30 m upon bedrock, was selected as an example. The nonlinear behavior of the soil was considered in an equivalent linear method. Four types of foundation were considered, including shallow, piled raft, and pile foundations (surface and floating types). In addition, the effect of soil compaction within the group pile on the seismic response of the tank was investigated. KIESSI-3D, an analysis package in the frequency domain, was used to study the SSI and the stress in the outer tank was calculated. Based on an analysis of the numerical results, we arrived at three main conclusions: (1) for a shallow foundation, the vertical stress in the outer tank is less than the fixed base response due to the SSI effect; (2) for foundations supported by piles, the vertical stress can be greater than the fixed base stress due to the increase in the vertical impedance due to the piles and the decrease in radiation damping; and (3) soil compaction had a miniscule impact on the seismic response of the outer tank.
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- ANSYS Inc. (2017) ANSYS 17, User's Reference Manual.
- API 650 (2013) Welded Tanks for Oil Storage, American Petroleum Institute.
- Choi, K.J., Park, D.G., Lee, J.H. (2012) Load Sharing Analysis of Piled Rafts Based on Non-linear Load Settlement Characteristics, J. Korean Geotech. Soc., 28(11), pp.33-40. https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2012.28.11.33
- Eurocode 8 (2006) Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance, Part 4: Silos, Tanks and Pipelines, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- Ha, J.G., Park, H.J., Lee, M.K., Lee, H.R., Kim, D.S., Kwon, S.Y., Kim, H.U. (2017) Seismic Behavior of LNG Storage Tank Considering Soil Foundation Structure Interaction with Different Foundation Types, 19th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering.
- Hokmabadi A.S., Fatahi, B. (2016) Influence of Foundation Type on Seismic Performance of Buildings Considering Soil-Structure Interaction, Int. J. Struct. Stab. & Dyn., 16(8), 1550043. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455415500431
- KDS 17 10 00 (2018) Seismic Design General, Korea Construction Standards Center, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Korea.
- Kim, J.H., Kim, S.K., Chun, B.S. (2013) A Study on Piled Raft Constructed on Soft Ground through Numerical Analysis, J. Korean Geo Environ. Soc., 14(3), pp.29-34.
- Kim, J.M. (2016) Development of World-Best Fundamental Technologies for Nonlinear Fluid Structure Soil Interaction Analysis by Developing p-version Dynamic Infinite Elements and Performing Sloshing Shaking Table Tests, Report No. 14CTAP-C077514-01, Chonnam National University.
- Kim, J.M., Chang, S.H., Yun, C.B. (2002) Fluid-Structure-Soil Interaction Analysis of Cylindrical Liquid Storage Tanks Subjected to Horizontal Earthquake Loading, Struct. Eng. & Mech., 13(6) pp.615-638. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2002.13.6.615
- Kim, M.K., Rhee, J.W., Lee, P.K., Kim, M.K. (2004) A Study of Characteristics of Soil-Pile-Structure Interaction Behavior on the Frequency Contents of the Seismic Waves, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 17(3), pp.295-308.
- Lee, E.H., Kim, J.M., Seo, C.G. (2013) Large-scale 3D SSI Analysis using KIESSI-3D Program, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 26(6), pp.439-445. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2013.26.6.439
- Lim, J.S., Son, I.M., Kim, J.M., Seo, C.G. (2016) A Speed-up in Computing Time for SSI Analysis by p-version Infinite Elements, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 29(5), pp.471-482. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2016.29.5.471
- Luft, R.U. (1984) Vertical Acceleration in Prestressed Concrete Tanks, ASCE, 110, ST4, pp.706-714. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1984)110:4(706)
- Park, H.J., Ha, J.G., Kwon, S.Y., Lee, M.G., Kim, D.S. (2017) Investigation of the Dynamic Behaviour of a Storage Tank with Different Foundation Types Focusing on the Soil Foundation Structure Interactions using Centrifuge Model Tests, Earthq. Eng. & Struct. Dyn., 46, pp.2301-2316. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2905
- Park, S.Y. (2019) Global LNG Market Change and Domestic Private Power Market Forecast, www.kisrating.com.
- Schnabel, P.B., Lysmer, J., Seed, H.B. (1991) SHAKE91, A Computer Program for Earthquake Response Analysis of Horizontal Layered Sites, EERC(Earthquake Engineering Research Center), College of Engineering, University of California Berkeley, California.
- Seo, C.G., Kim, J.M. (2012) KIESSI Program for 3-D Soil-Structure Interaction Analysis, Comput. Struct. Eng., 25(3), pp.77-83.
- Son, I.M., Kim, J.M., Lee, C.H. (2019) Seismic Soil-Structure Interaction Analyses of LNG Storage Tanks Depending on Foundation Type, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 32(3), pp.155-164. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2019.32.3.155
- Sun, J., Cui, L. (2015) Seismic Response for Base Isolation of Storage Tanks with Soil-Structure Interaction, Phys. & Numer. Simul. Geotech. Engi., pp.64-68.
- Veletsos, A.S., Tang, Y. (1990) Soil-Structure Interaction Effects for Laterally Excited Liquid Storage Tanks, Earthq. Eng. & Struct. Dyn., 19, pp.473-496. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290190402