- Volume 10 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on Performance Creation through Open Innovation with Corporate Environments
기업의 환경과 개방형 혁신을 통한 성과 창출에 대한 연구
- Seo, Yong-Mo (Dept. of Business Consulting, Daejeon University) ;
- Hyun, Byung-Hwan (Dept. of Business Consulting, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2019.09.28
- Accepted : 2019.12.20
- Published : 2019.12.28
This study empirically examines the relationship between the characteristics of a company and its performance through open innovation. It was intended to accept open innovation as a strategic means to overcome various situations in which companies faced and to understand it as a process of generating corporate performance. In various situations, companies must overcome environmental and internal factors. As an environmental factor, the dynamics of the market and the dynamics of technology allow for the adoption of open innovation, which in turn becomes a strategic tool for generating results. In addition, the internal environment of the company should strengthen the organization's capacity considering the characteristics of the company. In order to reinforce entrepreneurial orientation, openness of organizational culture, delegation and R & D capabilities, which are internal characteristics of the company, open innovation has a positive effect on the performance of the company. In overcoming the environment given to the company, open innovation was found to be an important medium for generating various results for the company. For this study, we conducted a structured questionnaire survey on 176 Korean companies. This study suggests that open innovation is strategically accepted and understood as a management strategic philosophy in order to overcome the environment in which a company is faced and generate results.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2010). Wives Who Earn More Than Their Husband.
- Y. M. Seo & H. J. Cho. (2017). An Empirical Study on the New Product Development in the Organization, Journal of the korea convergence society, 8(3), 205-214. DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.3.205 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.3.205
- Y. M. Seo & C. K. Oh. (2017). Study on the Attitude toward Innovative New Product on Movie "Sanguiwon(the Royal Tailor)", The Korea Contents Society, 18(1), 403-411.. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2018.18.01.403
- Y. M. Seo & H. J. Kim. (2011). Empirical Study for the Adoption Attitudes of New Product between enerations and Countries -Focused on Korean and Chinese Consumers-, The Korea Contents Society, 11(10), 405-415. DOI : 10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.405 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.10.405
- E. D. Kim, H. B. Kim & K. S. Bae. (2015). Analysis on Determinant Affecting Open Innovation of Korean ICT Service Industry : Focusing on Network Service, Korean management science review, 32(4), 175-192. https://doi.org/10.7737/KMSR.2015.32.4.175
- B. Y. Cho, K. J. Shin & K. T. Park. (2010). An Exploratory Study on Framework for Partner Relationships and Open Innovation Processes, Journal of information management, 41(2), 47-69. https://doi.org/10.1633/JIM.2010.41.2.047
- A. M Pettigrew. (1979). On Studying Organizational Cultures, Administrative Science Quarterly, 24(4), 570-581. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392363
- W. Ouchi. (1981). Theory Z: How American Business Can Meet the Japanese Challenge, Business Horizons, 24(6), 82-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-6813(81)90031-8
- T. E. Deal & A. A. Kennedy. (1982). Corporate Cultures: The Rites and Rituals of Corporate Life. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- J. A. Schumpeter. (1934). Theory of Economic Development, 4th ed., Berlin Germany: Drucker and Humblot, Cambridge England: Cambridge University Press.
- D. Miller & P. H. Friesen. (1983). Strategy Making and Environment: The Third Link, Strategic Management Journal, 4, 221-235. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250040304
- A. Shapero & L. Sokol. (1982). The social dimensions of entrepreneurship. Enclyclopedia of Entrepreneurship (pp. 72-90). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- J. G. Covin & D. P. Slevin. (1989). Strategic Management of Small Firms in Hostile and Benign Environments, Strategic Management Journal, 10(1), 75-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250100107
- R. C. Becherer & J. G. Maurer. (1997). The Moderating Effect of Environmental Variables on the Entrepreneurial and Marketing Orientation of Entrepreneur-led Firms, Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 22(1), 47-59. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879702200103
- G. T. Lumpkin & G. G. Dess. (2001). Linking Two Dimensions of Entrepreneurial Orientation to Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of Environment and Industry Life Cycle, Science Direct, 16(5), 429-451.
- C. Lee, K. Lee & J. M. Pennings. (2001). Internal Capabilities, External Networks, and Performance: A Study of Technology-bases Ventures, Strategic Management Journal, 22(6-7), 615-640. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.181
- J. G. Covin, D. P. Slevin & T. J. Covin. (1990). Content and Performance of Growth-seeking Strategies: A Comparison of Small firms in High- and Low-technology Industries, Journal of Business Venturing, 5(6), 391-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(90)90013-J
- J. Dabrowska & I. Savitskaya. (2014). When Culture Matters: Exploring the Open Innovation Paradigm, International Journal of Business Innovation and Research, 8(1), 94-118. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBIR.2014.058048
- C. S. An & Y. D. Lee. (2011). An Empirical Analysis of the Influence Factors on Open Innovation Activities in Korea, Journal of Korea technology innovation society, 14(3), 431-465.
- Spreitzer. (1996). Social Structural Characteristics of Psychological Empowerment. Academy of Management Journal, 39, 483-504.
- E. A. Locke & D. M. Schweiger. (1979). Participation in decision-making : one more look, Research in organizational behavior : an annual series of analytical essays and critical reviews, 1, 265-339.
- G. A. Yukl. (2002). Leadership in Organizations. 5th Edition, Prentice Hall : Upper Saddle River.
- K. M. Ryoo, H. J. Jung & J. S. Shin. (2013). Effect of Manager's Power Delegation on Service Agility and Corporate Performance, International Jouirnal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 27(6), 175-186.
- A. C. Eberhart, W. F. Maxwell & A. R. Siddique. (2004). An Examination of Long-term Abnormal Stock Returns and Operating Performance following R&D Increase, The Journal of Finance, 59(2), 623-650. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2004.00644.x
- R. C. Yam, M. J. C. Guan, K. F. Pun & E. P. Y. Tang. (2004). An Audit of Technological Innovation Capabilities in Chinese Firms: Some Empirical Findings in Beijing, China, Research Policy, 33(8), 1123-1140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2004.05.004
- D. K. Bok & W. H. Lee. (2006). Current Status and Analysis of Open Technology Innovation in Korean Manufacturing Industry, SERI.
- H. Chesbrough. (2003). Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting Technology, Boston : Harvard Business School Publishing Company.
- M. A. Mone, W. Mckinley & V. L. Barker. (1998). Organizational decline and innovation: a contingency framework, Academy of Management Review, 23(1), 115-132. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1998.192965
- R. D. Hisrich & M. P. Peters. (1991). On Your Own: How to Start, Develop and Manage a New Business, Business One Irwin: Homewood.
- M. S. Shin & S. E. Kim. (2012). The Effects of Financial Characteristics on the Relationship between R&D Investment and Firm Valu, Journal of Technology Innovation, 20(1), 45-74.
- J. K. Shin & S. K. Whang. (2008). R&D Intensity and Technology Innovation in the SMEs : The Role of Cross Functional Cooperation and Industrial Cooperation Culture, Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 21(6), 2523-2548.
- S. J. Chang & Y. S. Shin, (2008). Relationship between R&D investment, technology management capability, and financial performance, Korean Academic Society of Business Adiministration, 2008(8), 1-25.
- J. Hagedoorn & J. Schakenraad. (1994). The effect of strategic technology alliances on company performance, Strategic Management Journal, 15(4), 291-309. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150404
- B. Y. Lee. (2014). An Empirical Study of the Impacts of Open Innovation of SMEs and HPE on Business Performance, Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 27(6), 2483-2511.
- V. Van de Vrande, J. P. De Jong, W. Vanhaverbeke & M. De Rochemont. (2009). Open innovation in SMEs: Trends, motives and management challenges. Technovation, 29(6). 423-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.10.001
- U. Lichtenthaler. (2011). Open innovation: Past research, current debates, and future directions. The Academy of Management Perspectives, 25(1), 75-93. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.25.3.zol75
- C. Fornell & D. F. Larcker. (1981). Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables & Measurement Error, Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- B. R. Bae. (2006). LISREL Structual Model, Seoul: ChengNam Pubilshing.
- J. Arbuckle & W. Wothke. (1999). AMOS 4 user's reference guide. Chicago: Smallwaters Corporation.