- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Assessment of the Thickness of the Roof of the Glenoid Fossa Using Cone Beam Computed Tomography in Orthognathic Surgery Patients: A Preliminary Study
- Park, Hyun-Jeong (Department of Oral Medicine, Chosun University Dental Hospital) ;
- Seo, Yo-Seob (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Lim, Sung-Hoon (Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Ryu, Ji-Won (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Chosun University)
- Received : 2019.11.24
- Accepted : 2019.12.17
- Published : 2019.12.30
Purpose: The aim of this study was to assess the change in thickness of the roof of the glenoid fossa (RGF) in patients undergoing orthognathic surgery using cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) images. Methods: This retrospective study measured the thickness of the RGF in 19 patients (10 males, 9 females) who underwent orthognathic surgery at Chosun University Dental Hospital. The thickness of the RGF was measured perpendicularly between the 'glenoid fossa line' and 'middle cranial fossa line' on parasagittal and paracoronal reconstructions. Results: The mean RGF thickness increased from 0.83±0.44 mm to 0.86±0.46 mm after surgery. The average change in thickness of the RGF was 0.17±0.18 mm. The thickness of the RGF in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) showed no significant difference by sex, and the change in thickness of the TMJ did not vary by surgical method. Conclusions: We found that the thickness of the RGF increased after orthognathic surgery, as revealed by CBCT. Further studies including larger numbers of subjects and long-term follow-up are needed to confirm the results of this study.
Supported by : Chosun University
- Bag AK, Gaddikeri S, Singhal A, et al. Imaging of the temporomandibular joint: an update. World J Radiol 2014;6:567-582. https://doi.org/10.4329/wjr.v6.i8.567
- Honda K, Kawashima S, Kashima M, Sawada K, Shinoda K, Sugisaki M. Relationship between sex, age, and the minimum thickness of the roof of the glenoid fossa in normal temporomandibular joints. Clin Anat 2005;18:23-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/ca.20054
- Cevidanes LH, Bailey LJ, Tucker SF, et al. Three-dimensional cone-beam computed tomography for assessment of mandibular changes after orthognathic surgery. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;131:44-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2005.03.029
- Motta AT, Cevidanes LH, Carvalho FA, Almeida MA, Phillips C. Three-dimensional regional displacements after mandibular advancement surgery: one year of follow-up. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;69:1447-1457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2010.07.018
- Vandeput AS, Verhelst PJ, Jacobs R, Shaheen E, Swennen G, Politis C. Condylar changes after orthognathic surgery for class III dentofacial deformity: a systematic review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2019;48:193-202.
- Busby BR, Bailey LJ, Proffit WR, Phillips C, White RP Jr. Longterm stability of surgical class III treatment: a study of 5-year postsurgical results. Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 2002;17:159-170.
- Proffit WR, Bailey LJ, Phillips C, Turvey TA. Long-term stability of surgical open-bite correction by Le Fort I osteotomy. Angle Orthod 2000;70:112-117.
- Park HJ, Seo YS, Yoon A, Kim JH, Ryu JW. Assessment of the thickness of the roof of the glenoid fossa using cone beam computed tomography in asymptomatic Korean adult patients. J Oral Med Pain 2019;44:112-117. https://doi.org/10.14476/jomp.2019.44.3.112
- Wadhwa S, Kapila S. TMJ disorders: future innovations in diagnostics and therapeutics. J Dent Educ 2008;72:930-947.
- Sukovic P. Cone beam computed tomography in craniofacial imaging. Orthod Craniofac Res 2003;6 Suppl 1:31-36; discussion 179-182. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0544.2003.259.x
- Cottrell DA, Suguimoto RM, Wolford LM, Sachdeva R, Guo IY. Condylar change after upward and forward rotation of the maxillomandibular complex. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1997;111:156-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(97)70211-7
- An SB, Park SB, Kim YI, Son WS. Effect of post-orthognathic surgery condylar axis changes on condylar morphology as determined by 3-dimensional surface reconstruction. Angle Orthod 2014;84:316-321. https://doi.org/10.2319/052113-387.1
- Kim YI, Cho BH, Jung YH, Son WS, Park SB. Cone-beam computerized tomography evaluation of condylar changes and stability following two-jaw surgery: Le Fort I osteotomy and mandibular setback surgery with rigid fixation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2011;111:681-687. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2010.08.001
- Owtad P, Park JH, Shen G, Potres Z, Darendeliler MA. The biology of TMJ growth modification: a review. J Dent Res 2013;92:315-321. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034513476302
- Kai Y, Matsumoto K, Ejima K, Araki M, Yonehara Y, Honda K. Evaluation of the usefulness of magnetic resonance imaging in the assessment of the thickness of the roof of the glenoid fossa of the temporomandibular joint. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2011;112:508-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2011.05.013
- Yamada K, Hanada K, Hayashi T, Ito J. Condylar bony change, disk displacement, and signs and symptoms of TMJ disorders in orthognathic surgery patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2001;91:603-610. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2001.112153
- Wolford LM, Reiche-Fischel O, Mehra P. Changes in temporomandibular joint dysfunction after orthognathic surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003;61:655-660; discussion 661. https://doi.org/10.1053/joms.2003.50131
- Lobo F, Tolentino ES, Iwaki LCV, Walewski LA, Takeshita WM, Chicarelli M. Imaginology tridimensional study of temporomandibular joint osseous components according to sagittal skeletal relationship, sex, and age. J Craniofac Surg 2019;30:1462-1465. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0000000000005467
- Ong MA. Spectrum of dentofacial deformities: a retrospective survey. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2004;33:239-242.
- Ruslin M, Forouzanfar T, Astuti IA, Soemantri ES, Tuinzing DB. The anthropological aspects of dentofacial deformities: a comparison between Indonesian and Dutch cohorts (aspek antropologi kelainan bentuk dentofasial: sebuah perbandingan antara kelompok Indonesia dan Belanda). J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2014;13:48-54. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v13i1.387
- Hoppenreijs TJ, Stoelinga PJ, Grace KL, Robben CM. Longterm evaluation of patients with progressive condylar resorption following orthognathic surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999;28:411-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0901-5027(99)80052-6
- Hwang SJ, Haers PE, Zimmermann A, Oechslin C, Seifert B, Sailer HF. Surgical risk factors for condylar resorption after orthognathic surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000;89:542-552. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2000.105239