- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Palatal Rugae Pattern in Korean Children and Adolescents
- Kim, Na-Hee (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University) ;
- Im, Yeong-Gwan (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Ji-Yeon (Department of Oral Medicine, Seoul Veterans Hospital) ;
- Kim, Byung-Gook (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2019.11.26
- Accepted : 2019.12.20
- Published : 2019.12.30
Purpose: To determine whether the morphological features of the palatal rugae are associated with sex and age in children and adolescents. Methods: A total of 300 diagnostic models of the palatal rugae of children and adolescents were collected. The models were classified into male and female and<13- and ≥13-year-old groups. The palatal rugae pattern, and the number and length of palatal rugae plicae, were analyzed. Results: The number of palatal rugae plicae was higher in females than in males, however, the difference was negligible. In the group aged 13 years or more, the number was higher in the male group on the left side. There was no association between the number of palatal rugae plicae and age group. The type I pattern was the most common in both males and females. The length of palatal rugae plicae was greater in males than in females. There was no association between the length of palatal rugae plicae and age group. Conclusions: The number and length of palatal rugae were associated with sex, but the morphological features of the palatal rugae could not distinguish between children and adolescents. These findings suggest that the palatal rugae have limited value for identification of individuals.
- Paliwal A, Wanjari S, Parwani R. Palatal rugoscopy: establishing identity. J Forensic Dent Sci 2010;2:27-31. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2948.71054
- Caldas IM, Magalhaes T, Afonso A. Establishing identity using cheiloscopy and palatoscopy. Forensic Sci Int 2007;165:1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.04.010
- Patil MS, Patil SB, Acharya AB. Palatine rugae and their significance in clinical dentistry: a review of the literature. J Am Dent Assoc 2008;139:1471-1478. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2008.0072
- Thomas CJ. The prenatal developmental microscopic anatomy of the palatal rugae. J Dent Assoc S Afr 1984;39:527-533.
- Jain A, Chowdhary R. Palatal rugae and their role in forensic odontology. J Investig Clin Dent 2014;5:171-178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2041-1626.2013.00150.x
- Thomas CJ. The role of the denture in identification: a review. J Forensic Odontostomatol 1984;2:13-16.
- Ahn Y, Ko C, Huh K, et al. Consideration to the role of forensic odontology in determination of unidentified human body. J Oral Med Pain 2010;35:111-117.
- Thomas CJ, Kotze TJ. The palatal ruga pattern: a new classification. J Dent Assoc S Afr 1983;38:153-157.
- Chae G, Shin K. Individuality and stability of the palatal rugae pattern. J Oral Med Pain 2002;27:285-307.
- Surekha R, Anila K, Reddy VS, Hunasgi S, Ravikumar S, Ramesh N. Assessment of palatal rugae patterns in Manipuri and Kerala population. J Forensic Dent Sci 2012;4:93-96. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.109896
- Lysell L. Plicae palatinae transversae and papilla incisiva in man; a morphologic and genetic study. Acta Odontol Scand 1955;13(Suppl. 18):5-137.
- Hauser G, Daponte A, Roberts MJ. Palatal rugae. J Anat 1989;165:237-249.
- van der Linden FP. Changes in the position of posterior teeth in relation to ruga points. Am J Orthod 1978;74:142-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9416(78)90081-7
- Carrea JU. La Identificacion humana por las rugosidades palatinas. Rev Orthodont (Buenos Aires) 1937;1:3-23.
- Indira A, Gupta M, David MP. Usefullness of palatal rugae patterns in establishing identity: preliminary results from Bengaluru city, India. J Forensic Dent Sci 2012;4:2-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0975-1475.99149
- Bing L, Wu XP, Feng Y, Wang YJ, Liu HC. Palatal rugae for the construction of forensic identification. Int J Morphol 2014;32:546-550. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0717-95022014000200028
- Hermosilla Venegas V, San Pedro Valenzuela J, Cantin Lopez M, Suazo Galdames IC. Palatal rugae: systematic analysis of its shape and dimensions for use in human identification. Int J Morphol 2009;27:819-825.