- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Diagnosis of Articular Disc Perforation: A Case Series
- Ko, Daeun (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, Wonkwang University Daejeon Dental Hospital) ;
- Nam, Hyun (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, Wonkwang University Daejeon Dental Hospital) ;
- Shim, Young-Joo (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, Wonkwang University Daejeon Dental Hospital) ;
- Kang, Jin-Kyu (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine, Wonkwang University Daejeon Dental Hospital)
- Received : 2019.12.03
- Accepted : 2019.12.16
- Published : 2019.12.30
Perforation of articular disc of temporomandibular joint is a unusual condition and diagnosed through magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), arthrography or arthroscopic surgery. We attempted to investigate the suspicious findings of articular disc perforation through examination commonly used in temporomandibular disorder (TMD) patients. We retrospectively analyzed the clinical and imaging findings of five TMD patients whose articular discs were perforated based on MRI. The most meaningful finding was the abnormal width of the joint space in cone-beam computed tomography. Thus, the clinician should perform a thorough assessment of the joint space in TMD patients and conduct additional investigation to determine what caused the abnormal joint space.
Supported by : Wonkwang University
- Kuribayashi A, Okochi K, Kobayashi K, Kurabayashi T. MRI findings of temporomandibular joints with disk perforation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008;106:419-425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2007.11.020
- Shen P, Huo L, Zhang SY, Yang C, Cai XY, Liu XM. Magnetic resonance imaging applied to the diagnosis of perforation of the temporomandibular joint. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2014;42:874-878. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2014.01.001
- Machon V, Levorova J, Hirjak D, Drahos M, Foltan R. Temporomandibular joint disc perforation: a retrospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2017;46:1411-1416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2017.05.008
- Westesson PL, Larheim TA, Tanaka H. Posterior disc displacement in the temporomandibular joint. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1998;56:1266-1273; discussion 1273-1274. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(98)90606-1
- Nam H, Shim YJ, Kang JK. Acute malocclusion caused by articular disc perforation: a case report. J Oral Med Pain 2018;43:142-146.
- Cholitgul W, Petersson A, Rohlin M, Akerman S. Clinical and radiological findings in temporomandibular joints with disc perforation. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1990;19:220-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0901-5027(05)80396-0
- An SY, Jung JK. Fracture of the articular disc in the temporomandibular joint: two case reports. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2015;44:20140218. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr.20140218
- Tamimi DF, Hatcher D. Temporomandibular joint. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2016.
- Kim JY, Jeon KJ, Kim MG, Park KH, Huh JK. A nomogram for classification of temporomandibular joint disk perforation based on magnetic resonance imaging. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2018;125:682-692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2018.02.009
- Massilla Mani F, Sivasubramanian SS. A study of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis using computed tomographic imaging. Biomed J 2016;39:201-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bj.2016.06.003
- Munoz-Guerra MF, Rodriguez-Campo FJ, Escorial Hernandez V, Sanchez-Acedo C, Gil-Diez Usandizaga JL. Temporomandibular joint disc perforation: long-term results after operative arthroscopy. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013;71:667-676. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2012.12.013