- Volume 8 Issue 1
A metro ring network using WDM technology requires many issues to be considered even though its transmission distance is shorter and its transmission capacity is lower than a long-haul WDM system. Unlike a long-haul WDM system, which is basically point-to-point configuration, a metro ring network usually equips with capabilty of wavelength reconfiguration. Therefore network performance considering crosstalk within OADM and the network behavior when the ring network is closed should be analyzed before implemented. We discussed some of results analyzed for the issues. Furthermore we proposed a novel method to design a dispersion map for a ring network, and demonstrated the methodology with an exemplary 8-node ring network of 399km circumference.
WDM;Ring network;Metropolitan network;Wavelength reconfiguration
- G. P. Agrawal, Lightwave Technology: Telecommunication Systems, John Wiley & Sons Inc., pp.346, 2005.
- Rajiv Ramaswami & K. N. Sivarajan, Optical Networks-A Practical Perspective, Morgan Kaufmann, 2nd Edition, pp.403, 2002.
- G. P. Agrawal, Lightwave Technology: Telecommunication Systems, John Wiley & Sons Inc., pp.175, 2005.
- P. C. Becker, N. A. Olsson, and J. R. Simpson, Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifiers: Fundamentals and Technology, Academic Press, San Diego, CA, pp.232, 1999
- N. Hanik, A. Ehrhardt, A. Gladisch, C. Peucheret, P. Jeppesen, L. Molle;R. Freund, C. Caspar, "Extension of all-optical network-transparent domains based on normalized transmission sections," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp.1439-1453, June 2004. DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2004.830288 https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2004.830288
- Nelson M. S. Costa, Adolfo V. T. Cartaxo, "Influence of the Channel Number on the Optimal Dispersion Map Due to XPM in WDM Links," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol.26, No.22, pp. 3640-3649, Nov. 2008 DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2008.925676 https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2008.925676
- Muhammad Yousaf Hamza, Imran Hayee, "Performance improvement of 40Gb/s WDM systems by optimization of dispersion map," IEEE 10th International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technologies (AICT), pp.1-5, Oct. 2016 DOI: 10.1109/ICAICT.2016.7991755
- G.P. Agrawal, Fiber-Optic Communication Systems, John Wiley & Sons Inc., pp.37, 2002