- Volume 8 Issue 1
Perhaps nothing more vividly illustrates the many different ways in which traditions can be interpreted than a study of the life of Confucius in modern times. In China and Korea, Confucian values and culture are dismissed and scorned during some periods and held up as facilitators of cultural prosperity in others. This changing perception of and attitude toward the Confucian tradition in modern society embodies the long life of the Confucian tradition and its continually evolving trajectory, as well as its versatility within shifting sociopolitical milieux spanning distance and time. In this paper, I investigate the (re)emergence of Confucius in modern Korea and China with a comparative and critical gaze. I demonstrate how different modern interpretations of Confucius, both negative and positive, in these two countries bring new life to the Confucian tradition within their own complex social realities. By focusing on the recent revival of Confucius in China-Anti-tradition of Korean dramas, the Restoration of Confucian Culture in China and Korean Wave, the modernity of China in Confucius are examined, and finally, in terms of the means of realization of the Chinese dream-I illuminate how the image of Confucius serves the (re-)invention of contemporary China, with her pervasive desire to romanticize and materialize China's past as well as her future.
Death of confucius;Resurrection of confucius;Korean wave;China;Korea
Liu Jin(劉瑾), "The Cogitation on 'Root'Caused by
" (<大長今>引發'根'的思考), Sina Entertainment(新浪娛樂) http://ent.sina.com.cn, September 26, 2005.
- Li Wen 李文, "A Cultural View on the Hit Korean Drama DaeJangGeum in China"(韓國電視劇 <<大長今>>國內 熱播的文化視角), Sina Entertainment(新浪娛樂), http://ent.sina.com.cn, September 26, 2005.
- Xinmin Weekly(新民週刊), www.xinminweekly.com.cn, September 28, 2005.
- Sina Entertainment(新浪娛樂), http://ent.sina.com.cn, September 26, 2005.
- People's Daily(人民日報), http://paper.people.com.cn, January 14, 2005.
- China Culture Daily(中國文化報), http://epaper.ccdy.cn, October 26, 2005.
- HE Tong-bin, "Popularity of Korean Shows and the 'Feedback' of Confucianism: A Misunderstanding in the Thinking of Modern Ethics," The Journal of Nanjing Normal University (Social Science Edition)), Issue 3, p.155, June 2008.
- J.M Kang, Y.J Song, and M.K Choi, "Social Phenomena and Challenges for Internet Fandom Culture (Be Focussed on the Method of Link Value and Scalability for Korea Wave Fandom)" The Journal of the Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication(JIIBC), Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 239-240, Feb 2013.
- Shen Wenbin(沈文彬), "It's Worth Reflecting on the Predominate Korean Wave"(韩流当道值得反省), People's Daily(人民日報), January 14, 2005. http://culture.people.com.cn/GB/27296/3119050.html
- Younghwan Park, The View on China and Japan through Cultural Korean Wave, Dongguk University Hall, pp. 183-187, 2008.
- Chen Lai(陈来), Gan Yang(甘阳), "editor-in-chief"(主编), Confucius and Contemporary China 孔子与当代中国, Sheng huo du shu xin zhi san lian shu dian Hall (生活.读书.新知三联书店), p.504, 2008.
- Chen Lai(陈来), Gan Yang(甘阳), "editor-in-chief"(主编), Confucius and Contemporary China 孔子与当代中国, Sheng huo du shu xin zhi san lian shu dian Hall (生活.读书.新知三联书店), pp. 4-5, 2008.
- Chen Lai(陈来), Gan Yang(甘阳), "editor-in-chief"(主编), Confucius and Contemporary China 孔子与当代中国, Sheng huo du shu xin zhi san lian shu dian Hall (生活.读书.新知三联书店), p.3, 2008.
- http://www.chinanews.com/cul/2013/11-27/5550353.shtml (Sauce: Beijing Youth Daily)
- Xi Jinping(习近平), "The Speech at the Conversazione with Teachers and Students in Beijing University"(在北京大学师生座谈会上的讲话"), (May. 4, 2014), Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China.
- Book writing group(本书编写组), Outline of China's Modern History(中国近现代史纲要)(Revised Edition2015), Higher Education Hall(高等教育出版社), p.274, 2015.
- Kang Chʻol-gun, The Story of Korean Wave, Ichʻae Hall, pp. 206-207, 2006.